Friday, May 18, 2012

Planting May Flowers



The past few days have been absolutely beautiful here in our little neck of the woods. Today promises to be the same (yippee!). The clotheslines are full, daily, with laundry drying out and soaking up the sun. The children enjoy many hours of play. In and out of the house they run all day. I wait until the later afternoon, just before Chris comes home, to sweep the floors...as there is just no sense doing it any earlier. ;)

Earlier this week, the children and I planted flowers around our home, just like we did last year around this time. I love flowers *everywhere*. They have such a simple beauty about them and really bring joy to wherever they are located, don't you think?


The pictures truly don't do it all justice. It looks so pretty, in *real* life. In the photo below, you can see the terracotta pottery that my mom made. Madelyn planted those ones! I think she did a lovely job!


A couple hanging baskets planted and hung out front...




My hosta is gigantic...I plan on thinning and spreading it out some time this summer...



We got a reel mower...even the children can use it! There is no gas, no noise, no pull-start. Just walk and push! It can be difficult if the lawn is a smidge too long...but I am really glad we got it!


Mowing in the front yard is finished (the back yard is quite a bit bigger and takes a bit longer!)...


One of my raised garden beds is below. I planted one row too close to another without really thinking. So when those things grow and are harvested, we'll move that row to the middle to give plenty of space for everything to grow...


Inside, things are being dusted and cleaned. The doll in the photo below was one that *my* grammie and I made together when I was Madelyn's age. It was kept at my mom's house and just this Mother's Day, Madelyn and my mom spiffed her all up for me and gave it to me as a gift! So now, she has a place in *my* home!



When all winds down in the evenings, we have supper, light some candles and an oil lamp or two and all relax together before heading to bed. Spring and summer days are busy ones and when 8 p.m. rolls around, most of us are exhausted and ready to fall fast asleep. I spend time in my Bible and reading my latest read...but often find myself re-reading things because I'm too sleepy to focus!


Well, I have a load of wash ready to be hung out and other things to accomplish this morning!
Thank-you for visiting! Have a lovely weekend ahead!

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

15 comments:

  1. I love all your flowers, it makes your home look beautiful and inviting. We could use a mower like that, guess I might mention it to hubby. Hope to get some nice weather like yours soon in wisconsin. Have a wonderful weekend and God Bless.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers are lovely...as always you have been a busy busy bee! Take care and Hello to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your flowers! And your decorating is so pretty! I am inspired! Have a blessed weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful! I really like the look of your Momma's pots on the steps with the flowers planted in them. Everything sure looks pretty! It's been just gorgeous here too. The breeze coming in the windows, sunshine, birds chirping....aahhh... (: We'll be doing a lot of planting and mulching around our house this weekend. Hoping to get it all done before the hot weather sets in. Blessings and a beautiful weekend to you guys!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story behind the dol is so sweet! Your flowers look lovely. I am a lover of flowers also. The plan to finish planting mine this weekend.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers look great! The pots your mother made are perfect!

    Have a beautiful weekend!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my....you have been very busy! Everything looks so pretty with beautiful flowers. And your front lawn looks wonderful....the grass grows so fast this time of year.I wanted hubby to put in some raised veggie beds this year but we have been too busy working on our kitchen. Yours are going to produce tons of food. good for you guys! I can not wait to see.

    Sweet dreams and have a wonderful day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS....Katy...I have a doll that belonged to my father when he was a little boy. My Grandma, his Mother, and I redressed it when I was a little girl and it was given to me when she passed away. She had written a wonderful note on it for me. You will cherish your doll forever and ever. Even when you get to be an "old lady" ..like me!!!! LOLOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been reading your blog for about a year now and just wanted to say I really look forward to reading what you write. It is very inspiring and always a breath of fresh air. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers are lovely! My 2 year old would love to get his hands on your new mower. :) As it is now he follows my older son Samuel while he mows the lawn with his fisher price mower. He is so faithful staying behind his big brother until the job is done, it's a workout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a beautiful home! The flowers are lovely. I like your new mower. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It all looks great!!! That was our weather a couple of weeks ago, now it feels like summer! Too early for 90's!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yes...
    the simple life:-)

    As always, so, so cozy and quaint.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a rhododendron that is the same color purple as yours. I love the color. Your flowers look great and are so cheerful. I love how Ruthie is always in at least one picture.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy