Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Simple Day to Day: Memory Keeping


I love to remember things...so I like to tuck all my day to day happenings (big and little ones) into a memory journal. I have posted about my memory journaling before (HERE). It's not my original idea at all...but anyone who makes one has their own unique way of doing it. Some are simple, others more elaborate. They are a simple way to remember the little things that happen each day. (I also have each year of my blog posts printed into books...but this little journal is a fun way to express my creativity and jot down small, seemingly unimportant things that will be fun to think back to one day!)

There are so many things to remember (that are easily forgotten). I enjoy looking back through my books to see what we were doing on different days...whether it was just homeschooling and housework, or more exciting sort-of things (you know, like cleaning out the garage or the shed...*fun* stuff like that! ;). I have gone through times where I haven't kept up journaling each day...and when I do pick it up again to start, I am disappointed that I don't have those missed days recorded (although, lucky for me, my blog has kept them safe and sound, here, on this world-wide-web...I need to get 2011 printed into a book soon!).


As I sit here, right now, Jaxson is asleep in the most uncomfortable-looking sort-of way in the chair next to mine. He's still my *little* one who benefits from a nap some days (we all do, from time-to-time, don't we?). I have been busily buzzing around the house today....schooling, organizing next year's homeschooling materials, knitting, preparing supper, laundry and dishes. I still need to sweep the floors and finish getting supper ready (a slow-cooked beef roast, carrots and homemade noodles...and oh how wonderful the house smells right now!). Although, by the time this posts, it will be tomorrow...so technically, you are *now* reading what I did *yesterday*. ;)


The Lord has been dealing mightily with me lately. Oh, the numerous ways I have fallen short and been self-focused....it's depressing to think about. He has been teaching me though. I wish I wasn't such a slow-learner...and I am so thankful that God is patient with me. He has to remind me of things over and over and even then I don't always see it. Oh, how I long to be sanctified and purified for Him. I desire to serve others *more* without ever worrying about myself (which I do too much of...the "self" thing). I want others to see Christ shine out from me. Many see my good deeds or efforts...but I know the *true* me. The one who can be jealous or impatient, unkind or selfish. What a wretch I am, in and of myself...no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to attain the perfection I seek. I am forever grateful for the love of Jesus...that because of His shed blood, the Father can see the glorious in me. Jesus bore the wrath that was due me. How can I ever thank Him enough? His perfection and selflessness saved wretched, self-centered me. So now I live...for Him. I desire to please Him...not because I *have* to (although we *are* called to live a life worthy of our calling) but because I *want* to (as all true followers of Christ should) . This isn't legalism I write of...it's more about living out a life dedicated to the One Who created me. It's about giving all glory to Whom it is due. It's living out *His* ways since they are always better than our own! It's not always an easy task...but definitely what the children of God do! :)


I hope your days are going well...whatever may be happening. I am truly praying and striving to be content in *all* things...no matter the situation ("...for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content." ~Philippians 4:11b). 


I am knitting an oh-so-sweet sunflower hat for my little niece, J. I will give it to her on her birthday at the end of the month. I can't wait until she tries it on! I will be sure to share the hat with you as soon as I am finished! :) So look for a post on that someday soon!


Until then...
Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home

12 comments:

  1. Love the journal. Altough the blog post you print out will mean something to the generations to come the journal will mean more. I am always so happy when I find something with in my grandmothers handwriting. It fills me up with wonderful memories!

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katy,
    You've inspired me! Love the hand written journal - love that there are no rules - just this and that to represent each time your write.
    Oh, I sure know what you mean about falling short - I do every day and so many times - I just keep striving to be more like Jesus (although I certainly will never get close!) and be thankful that I am forgiven.
    Blessings,
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring! I myself fall so very short.
    I enjoyed your sharing & the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie - I love your journal! That's such a great idea! I keep a daily prayer journal (which is actually more of my letters to God; a pouring out of my heart to Him) and I also keep a garden journal. I relate to what you say about desiring to be sanctified. And I think that the more He sanctifies us, the more aware we are of our sins, even the ones that others would not necessarily see as sins or even the ones that others cannot see because they are sins of the heart. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am an avid-journal writer - and I always love seeing new ideas and what others are doing. Yours is just lovely! Thank you for sharing your ideas and thoughts ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I could describe you in one word....Grace!
    You live with just grace and ease, something that I, at 21 years old, inspire to do when I have a house and a family of my own. I love coming to your blog and reading what you do on a daily basis because it's such a breath of fresh air. I love the Journal Idea...I did something like that for a while, but then I stopped. (not sure why)...but I think I will start to do that again, it's a wonderful way to remember things....and although technology won't run out any time soon...It's good to have things on Paper, things you can pull out and read to your children and grand children. A Great Hand-Me-Down.

    God Bless!

    -Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never thought of printing my blog entries and putting them in a book. This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy you are awesome writer of words.. Truly a gift from the
    Lord you write with such a humble spirit..the Journal is
    excellent.. Thanks for sharing from the heart :-) So many
    us bloggers are so inspired by you / your openness..
    encourage both young and old..
    Many Blessings
    Hugs Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post,I really like your article

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,

    I just love this. I've wanted to do something like this for a very long time--need to just start, right?:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your memory book...that too is beautiful just like everything else that you do!! You make ordianary life beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have got to do this! Thanks for sharing. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy