Tuesday, May 29, 2012

*Around our Simple Home*

Come for a walk around our little homestead with me!


The best things in life are nearest:  Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you.  Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.  
~Robert Louis Stevenson


"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands..." 
~ 1 Thessalonians 4:11


 It's simple, but it's home. We slowly work at fixing it up. There is still *much* we would like to do...but we work as time and money allows. (I want to say that if we end up never doing another thing to this house...we would still be ever-grateful that God has provided us a home and for all the blessings of it...for there are many in this world who have horrible dirt floors or no home at all! Although...I must admit dirt floors such as THESE would be really neat to have!)

 The dormers and top front of the house still need sided (we have the siding to do it...but Chris just needs the time to put it up). The inside of the addition needs finished and, at one point, I would like to turn that front room back into a *real* front porch. Then there is the back porch I have all planned in my mind (oh, it will be beautiful, one day). All these plans are exciting and hopefully able to be done sometime in the future...but until then, we enjoy our little home and make it as sweet, homey and charming as we can.


I planted day-lillies (shared by my mom) along the front of the garage (I really love hardy perennials!). I need to do the other half of the front as well. I look forward to them growing and blooming next year! They should look beautiful!


The walkway (pictured below) welcomes visitors...although it is in (great) need of a good weeding (and maybe adding of some mulch). See how lovely and gigantic my hosta have grown to? At the end of the season I am going to split them up, spread them out and maybe use them in other areas as well. They are one of those fantastic hardy perennials that I so love! ;) It's beautifully imperfect and that's okay with me. Although I love a beautiful setting out-doors, it is not at the tippy-top of my priority list.

 I have grapevine wrapped around my arbor and although you can't see it from the photo...I have clematis starting to climb up it, as well. Last year, Chris (accidentally) weed-eated my clematis I had just starting to climb. This year, we are not hoping for a repeat! ;) I had a part on it die already, unfortunately...I *really* hope it takes off because I think it would look absolutely lovely climbing up and around that arbor (like the one in THIS photo)!


Garden Sanctuary

You who walk,
Maybe with troubled thoughts,
Come, enter here and rest;
And may the sweet serenity of growing things,
And the heavenly,peace
Be mirrored in thy soul. 


-Doxis M. Palmer




The little Red wagon
Sitting by the shed
The red paint 
Chipping and fading away

Hidden in amungst 
The piles
Of leaves
Never used
But left to remember.

The children
giggling
Pulling the wagon
Piled with toys and teddy bears
Stopping by the creek to picnic

The gurgling creek 
In tune with the
Children's laughter
The sun peaking through the trees

And next spring
The little red wagon
Left to remember
It's childhood.



~AinsleySara


I found that poem, above, and thought it sweet! How true it is about the wagons! My children have two of them and oh the use they get out of them! The fun childhood tales those little red wagons could tell!


A look at the back of the house (the addition). The siding at the bottom of the very back gets a mildew type stuff growing on it, because of all the shade, every year. So, each year, the children and I go out and scrub it off. I am hoping there is an *easier* answer to this. We haven't done our annual *siding scrub* yet this year (I look forward to having a back screened in porch there, one day, anyway...so maybe that will help prevent the green-growth!). Also, the downstairs part of the addition is not finished inside...thus why (if you look closely) you can still see the stickers on the windows when we purchased them!


A busy part of the back yard is pictured below. The wood shed, wood stove and other wood "stuff" are all there; (the Pod People; aka~Compost Bins) are located back there to the right of the shed...but you can't see them from this angle. And of course, there is my oft-used (and currently in-use) clothesline and my raised garden beds, full of green beans, carrots, lettuce, onions and radishes!


The basketball court is pictured below (I have posted about it before...but for any new readers, I will tell about it again)...our neighbors, a loving, kind Christian couple, have grown daughters. When their children were young, they put in this basketball court and a pool for them and other children in the area. They encourage people to use the basketball court whenever they wish. **They also let us use the pool whenever we want during the summer months!** The children enjoy riding their bikes and scooters over there as well as playing ball. It is *such* a blessing and we are thankful for such kind, generous neighbors!


The girls are quite happy...laying eggs daily and enjoying the sun-shiny weather (I must confess as to why there are two wood boards along the bottom of the chicken wire. *My* dog, Ruthie, is such a stinker. When throwing scraps into the chickens, she would nose and work her way to get under the fence to get into those table scraps (like she is starving or something...have you *seen* the photos of my Ruthers? Let's just say she is pleasantly plump!). The wire would then be compromised and the chickens would escape! Chris had to fix the chicken run one-too-many times. He finally decided to keep Ruthers out once and for all!) ...


The raised garden beds are doing well for us! You can see them in all their glory below! Chris's onions are getting tall...


Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food. 
~Frank A. Clark


Lettuce and green beans can be seen growing here (there are carrots and more lettuce growing here as well...but you can't see them)...


I am penning this (ok...not exactly penning...but you know what I mean) Monday evening. You won't see it until tomorrow morning though. Tonight's plans will be to relax around the fire at Chris's family's pavilion, have supper, and fellowship with family. I am making homemade mac and cheese. It's cooking even as I type. I plan on taking some knitting with me and working on it a bit as I sit. The children will play and get nice and tired out. The evening will finish with baths, maybe some reading, prayer and then snuggled down into bed. :)

I hope your weekend was especially enjoyable as we set aside a day to remember those who have served our country! Thank you for joining me in a bit of a jaunt around my home! :)

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

 

16 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post...so sweet of you to share your wonderful home...I felt as I were there walking with you as you spoke about it and it's surroundings.
    God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I enjoyed the tour:) We are neighbors today at OYHT. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed this tour of your sweet home, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy, what a lovely post! Like you we have had sunshine here too, today is overcast and feels cooler.
    We have our queens jubilee this coming weekend, our village is holding a party on the cricket pitch, there is bunting all round the village! It all looks very vintage. Best wishes jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, your music was a blessing to me this morning. So peaceful your corner of the blog world. I so enjoyed my trip around your home. And learning about mud floors. I'm not sure I'd ever be game for that! I left my beautiful clematis when we moved and my husband was talking about planting one for me this year. I don't think there's anything prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful home you have :) I loved the pictures of your garden as well! I have my garden growing and can't wait until I see them coming up as yours are! Stoppin by from the link up :) http://simplyhelpinghim.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. In celebration of my 3rd year and 300th post, you and your dear readers are invited to enter my anniversary give-a-way. Please hurry, the drawing will be held on Friday, June 1, 2012.
    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your home, Katy. You know why? It is a HOME. Not just a house...not just land...but a HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your home, it's so homey and comfy looking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy love your blog and your beautiful home. Just lovely:) How do you keep the rabbits from eating your lettuce. I planted marigolds but the little bunnies keep eating them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont do anything special to keep the bunnies away. I have a few marigolds planted...but nothing else special. I *did* plant the lettuce on the side of the garden closest to the house...other than that I haven't done anything special! :)

      Delete
  11. Very pretty. I love the arbor. That is something that I've wanted for a very long time but never have the time to put one in. How nice of the neighbors, to let the children use the basketball court. Thanks for giving us the tour. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your house, especially the color. I can sympathize with the clematis. One year my darling husband was helping in my garden and thought all my pansies and snapdragons that had not bloomed yet were weeds.

    Have you tried a little bit of bleach water to clean the black stuff on the siding? Doesn't need to be very strong at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such a beautiful little homestead! We have mold that grows on our siding too, but even after living here three years, it never occurred to me to scrub it of! Oh, my...I love your flowers, too. Isn't sharing perennials fun? I have day lillies from my mother-in-love, and I am hoping to plant more perennial flowers so I don't have to buy as many flowers each spring.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy