Friday, May 25, 2012

Making a Skirt from Jeans


Yesterday, I made Madelyn a skirt from a pair of jeans. I have done this once before, a couple years back and she loved it. I kept breaking my sewing machine needle, though, and got quite frustrated. My mom told me I needed a denim needle to sew with and kindly bought me a pack!

To begin, I cut the jeans at the seams. Last time, I used a seam ripper, but oh, that was terribly tedious and really not necessary because using scissors works well and was much quicker!


I had some Mary Engelbreit fabric, which I believe had been a gift from my sweet friend Deanna. It was what I decided to use to make the skirt. I pinned one side at a time and then sewed them together...



Of course I sewed them on the inside of the jeans so then, when you turn it to the front, you have a nice, clean edge...


There was even enough fabric left over to make Madelyn a simple bandana!


We're both really happy with how it turned out.


Ok, pictures are finished...so off she goes on her bike!


I am just so thankful for this girl God gave me. She is such a good girl. She has a nurturing, motherly spirit (which I hope, Lord willing, means lots of grandbabies one day!). Looking at pictures yesterday, of her when she was younger, almost made me burst into tears. I didn't want her to stay little...as I love the young lady she is growing to be...but it's so hard to fathom where the past (almost) 11 years have gone!

We have finished up our homeschool year. Madelyn finished up 4th grade, Xavier 2nd and Jaxson Kgarten. So they will all be *moving up* next year. (First, though, I have to get Madelyn and X's portfolios together to take to the school district.) I have all the 1st, 3rd, and 5th school books and curriculum already here to start this fall (which I will do a post on someday soon). It seems like the years are passing by *much* too quickly!


I had better get going...the day has begun and I have much to keep me busy! I hope you have a great Friday and weekend ahead! Thank you for visiting!! :)


Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy




A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home

            


Photobucket



16 comments:

  1. She looks lovely in her new dress!
    Your comment on "years passing"...had me walking down memory lane. As a "seasoned" homeschool mom, I'd say SAVOR this time, sigh. Two years ago, I graduated my youngest (after 14 years of homeschooling). Those days are now just fond memories to hold dear in my heart.
    Would that I could rewind the clock 10 years!
    Have a very blessed summer break,
    Blessings,
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it turned out just beautiful!
    A simple and modest skirt that you won't find anywhere in the clothging stores nowadays.

    I've made a couple of these too for Sadie.I have two cut to make for me, but I just need some time to do so!

    Maybe this winter;)

    Sadie and I were at the Goodwill on Tuesday and found a few skirts for her. It's impossible to find a nice modest skirt anywhere else around here and it's ashame.

    Time goes by fast when you are having fun doesn't it Katy:)?

    She is growing into a beautiful young woman. And being a mama with a young man, I can sure tell you (and any other mama reading this) how much I appreciate parents that take the time to raise our daughters to be keepers at home.

    Such a sweet, sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial - I've had the desire to make a skirt or two like this for our OG (& maybe even myself).
    I agree with the previous comments, cherish your time with your children - they do grow up too quickly.
    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love making skirts from jeans around here! Yours turned out so lovely! Have a blessed Memorial Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks wonderful...what a great idea. In fact, I have a pair of wide bottom pants that I purchased on a whim and then decided - what was I thinking? - but now, I could make them into a long skirt, which is truly what I wear daily :)

    My three are moving up also...Senior in high school, 9th grade and 7th grade. The time is moving much too fast!!!!

    Blessings to your day...

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is lovely, and so is she. So thankful to the Father for children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this post! I've got to make one of these skirts, they are just so cute! I've seen these around for a while, but haven't had a chance to make one. I'll have to keep my eyes open at garage sales for some jeans to make a skirt out of now :) I would love if you would share it at my Feminine Friday link-up, I know my readers will benefit from it!

    http://susangodfrey.com/biblical-response-to-feminism-part-1-feminine-friday-link-up-party/

    Blessings!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out great!

    I love that you used the fabric for this! It is perfect with the jeans! She is adorable and growing up beautifully.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like Madelyn's new skirt. Love the fabric you sewed onto the jeans. Madelyn is growing into a beautiful young lady right before our eyes. I can tell by her composure and smile that she is a loving person. You know I enjoy seeing all your kids and what is going on in their lives. You do a great job as a mom.
    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this post with Feminine Friday for 05/25/2012. I'd love to invite you back this Friday!

    http://www.susangodfrey.com

    Blessings!
    Susan Godfrey

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's adorable. My Emily, 14, wants me to make her one. Oh, I've got to spend more time sewing!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
    http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, I somehow "lost" you for awhile. I'm putting your blog on my sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A sweet country girl! Precious! And cute skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea!!! Such a cute skirt! Do you and your daughter always wear skirts/dresses? I have noticed that Madelyn is always wearing pretty skirts. If you have blogged about this before, sorry I must have missed it. Modesty...wear dresses only...is something I have struggled with....I don't have any friends that are dresses only and at our church ladies wear jeans/pants. This is just something I noticed on your blog and it's so refreshing and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)

      Yes, we always wear skirts...we have for years now. I wear pants to exercise in or sleep in, sometimes...and Madelyn may wear a pair of overalls or something similar...but overall we wear skirts or dresses only. I felt convicted. :) Plus, I just like wearing them...they feel so feminine and lovely. None of our friends are really skirts only...but it doesn't bother me at all. :)

      Delete
  15. Best online earning system in the world, Online Data entry jobs, Form Filling Jobs, Copy Pasting Jobs
    Join the best online system from home, Best Investment Plans without any work
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy