Friday, May 11, 2012

Caramel Popcorn


Caramel Popcorn 

1 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. (plus a bit more) light Karo syrup (corn syrup)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
6 quarts popped corn

Bring the butter, brown sugar, Karo syrup, and salt to a boil over medium heat, stirring the whole time. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. Immediately pour over popcorn, stirring to evenly coat.

Turn popcorn into 2 or more large roasting pans. Bake at 250* for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Turn out onto waxed paper and allow to cool.

~This recipe is from The Homestyle Amish Kitchen Cookbook that I purchased at Lehman's. The photo is of the caramel popcorn I made. It is really delicious! I hope you will give the recipe a try and let me know how you liked it! :)

Kindly,
Katy

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like the recipe I use... good stuff! I haven't made any since Christmas and may have to whip up a batch after seeing your yummy looking picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you for sharing this recipe! I can't wait to try it! Have a blessed weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect Friday treat! I always want something that I can snack on as the weekend approaches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is better than old fashion cracker jacks. I made this yesterday, the kids enjoyed it while we finished a history read aloud and sent some in hubby's lunch today, he liked fiddle faddle when we were teens, which is Carmel corn in a box. Thank you for sharing these snippets of your day and these yummy things you all enjoy as a part of it. Smiles, Angelia in Tx

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy