Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Quill Pens and Homemade Ink


The children have wanted quill pens for the longest time. Ever since watching Bilbo Baggins write "Concerning hobbits" on the Lord of the Rings, the children have wanted to use a feather pen! On Chris and my trip to Ohio, we found some inexpensively. The children were so excited when they received them and couldn't wait to use them!

First, daddy had to cut the feathers in a particular way...


All ready to go...


Then it was time to make the ink (which you can find a recipe for HERE)...





One of the benefits of having an older sister...she'll lift you up high so you can see what's going on!


Time to write!






Even daddy takes a turn!


Making quill pens and homemade ink is a fun project to do with your children! My three were surprised at how difficult it was to write neatly with them. *Home*schooling can definitely be fun!

 Hip Homeschool Hop Button 

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

6 comments:

  1. Neat stuff, Katy. My sons would love this, I will have to do this with them. The cinnamon rolls got all eaten up this week end, so I had no need to freeze the second pan. Going to make more bread this morning, I am really enjoy providing that for my family. Thank you for the tried and true recipes. Happy Tuesday, Angelia in Tx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like alot of fun!! I have followed your blog durning my first yr of homeschooling...which is now coming to an end. This has turned out to be my first and last yr of homeschooling, we are putting our kids back into school in Aug. It has been a yr of ups and downs...but mostly downs. My kids are excited to return to school and so am I!!! We are moving one town over so they will have a better school to go to...and have alot more things to do!! I wish you luck with your homeschooling...but it just isn't right for some families:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is lovely! I am going to have to try this with my girls. I know they would love it. We are a lettering writing family here and so I know it would get a lot of use in our family. Thank you for sharing. Have a lovely week ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember making walnut shell ink and my own quill pens when I was very young. It was such fun to write with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool. I decorate the homestead in primitives & one would be wonderful on my lap desk. I have an old bottle from Gram & Paps for the ink well. Thanks for sharing. Homeschooling offers so many out of the box learning experiences. Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. This is definitely a project we will do in our home school.
    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy