Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Homemaking: Simple Bits of Wisdom

As our countries debt seems to be soaring (unsustainably)...and our country's currency is being devalued...are you, as a wife and mother, using wisdom in these times?

Although there is no need for fear, for our God is faithful and will see us through any hard economic times...it never hurts to be prepared. With inflation...rates for staples such as sugar and flour could go ridiculously high! Food prices are already going up.

As Godly women, entrusted with the care of our husbands and children as well as those around us who are hurting and in need (Prov. 31:20), we are to be wise and careful in things that we do(Prov. 31:25-27). Our husbands and children should be able to have complete confidence in us (Prov. 31:11).

I just want to share a few bits of wisdom from my heart to yours...

*** I want to encourage you, with a gentle and loving heart, if you have any debt...pay it off. Make it your primary focus. Don't owe anyone anything. ~ The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender. ~Prov. 22:7. Be wise in how you handle your money. Be frugal yet generous to those in need. *Think* before you buy...use wisdom and good judgment. Keep your checkbook balanced and bills paid in a timely fashion.

*** I encourage you to start buying food to store. If you can, like I do, you should already have a decent amount of food stored. However, for me, it's not enough. I want to *know* that, just in case, I am always prepared for my family. I try to keep stocked up on flour, sugar, crackers, salt, peanut butter, honey, and canned goods as well (to make up for what I don't have enough of that I canned myself).

*** Try making more from scratch. It is healthier, cheaper and much more rewarding than buying it at the grocery store! :)

*** Use what you have. Wear it out or reuse it. You don't need brand new doo-dads and whatchya-ma-callits. Use some tips and tricks from times of old. HERE and HERE are a couple links to some different uses for things! Think simple! :) Have you ever read The Tightwad Gazette? It's full of some great ideas (although there are some that are a bit extreme...like using soda six-pack plastics to make a volleyball net! ;) I enjoy this book, I have pictured below...

*** Save water and electricity...dry your clothes outside! (Or, if weather isn't permitting...dry them on drying racks inside!)

*** Strengthen your family unit. One way to do this is by educating your children at home. Who better to shepherd their hearts than the mother that God gave them? It is difficult at times...but anything worth doing usually is, isn't it? The blessings *far* outweigh the negatives. Spend more time *together* as a family. Eat dinner at the table. Read the Bible and pray together. Laugh together, cry together. A strong, Christian family is one of the most valuable things we can ever have! :)

*** Keep your home tidy and uncluttered. Clutter causes stress and usually means you have *too* much of something. Declutter your home...donate or sell items you don't need. This will rid you of extra "stuff" and benefit others who maybe can use it! :) Keeping your home tidy will make it a more pleasant place to be. Remember though ~ *tidy* and *obsessive cleaning* are two totally different things. Your home should be a comfortable haven for your husband and children (and yourself!). It should be full of love and warmth.


*** Glean wisdom from many different sources, people who choose to live a simple lifestyle...a few of my favorites are Tasha Tudor, Rhonda at Down-to-Earth, Jewels, Ang, and the West Ladies. HERE is an article that I enjoyed reading and I think you may too! :)

*** Most of all...no matter what troubles or storms may or may not be ahead for each of us...trust that our God is bigger than it all and *will* take care of us. It may be a bit of a struggle...but He is always faithful and true. Don't panic...don't fear. Live a life of obedience...trusting that the God Who sent His only Son to die for each of us, because of His *great* love for us...always works things out for good, for those who love Him (Romans 8:28). Just be wise and always thankful...each and every day! :)

And when stuff threatens to overwhelm you...always remember:
Cast all your cares on Him because He cares for you. ~ 1 Peter 5:7

Warmly,
Katy :)


I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. ~Ephesians 3:16-20

26 comments:

  1. Such a good post, Katie! I agree 100% And I read many of the same blogs as you...wise women full of good advice...such an encouragement. The more I read of your blog, the more I'm sure we'd be great friends in real life since we really do have a lot in common.

    Have a great day!

    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing those points of wisdom - I'm writing these down and will keep them in mind when I get to stay home in about a month.

    I love that "Peace with You" picture =)

    I hope you have a blessed, peaceful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good tips...

    the tightwad gazette... perhaps that's something cory would enjoy!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good post Katy. I do most of the things you posted already with one exception. In the winter I dry my clothes in the dryer, but shame on me I need to get a wooden clothes dryer myself. Thanks for your words of wisdom you are a very Godly and smart lady and I love that about you.

    Have an awesome day in the Lord my friend.

    Hugs,

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Katy! You are such a blessing. I pray that today is a wonderful day for you and your family!

    Ellie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom and I were just talking about this last week. We were talking about how we need to start a garden and then share the produce together. The time is coming where money will be of little or no use.

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very wise indeed Katy, great tips and I love the look of your laundry and those downed leaves, so pretty!I hope you have a wonderful, blessed day, and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy,

    We are on the same path in so many ways...We have no debt except our mortgage and we are working to pay that off early.

    We make our own bread these days, half spelt, half occident flour. We cook from scratch and have some food stocked up, too!

    God is good and we are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems like my husband is speaking to me daily about how bad the economy may get. We are trying to be proactive, not fearful, in laying aside food etc for the times ahead. If we are not in need of it, we can always bless someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful advice to live by! Thank you, Katie. Nice post.

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed this post and I enjoyed visiting the other sites you posted. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful list, so true and a good reminder. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post. Thank you for caring enough to teach and remind us all of the importance of living the life God wants for us. It was a much needed reminder for me personaly as well as a comforting reminder to trust in God.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Katie,
    I just stumbled on your blog and wanted to leave you a comment to say how much I love it! This post is especially helpful/timely - how important it is to be prepared and provide...
    ...God bless! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very good wisdom Katy. I wish Jewels would come back to blogging, she has so much to share, many blessings have been reaped because of her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. very excellent post!! I totally agree. Our church leaders have been counseling us for YEARS to have a years supply of food and supplies. I'm not there yet but working on it!!! I think in the world of instant everything we lose sight of being frugal and looking for ways to save!! thank you for a quick reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just finished a really good book that I have mentioned in my last blog post. There is so much information to gleen from it on preserving foods. I am already planning my garden for spring. There is so much I want to try. My kids like the veggies I have frozen much better than store bought. I tryed homemade rolls & a pumpkin roll today. It was all so yummy & much cheaper than the bakery. With money getting less & less here I have been trying many new things to save. It may be more work but I find it is rewarding to me. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful post, Katy! I agree with you 100%.

    To simplify things even more and to make better use of my time, I don't even blog or read as many blogs as I used to. I always make time to read your blog, and others that I can glean little bits of wisdom from!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Love your blog! Thanks for visting mine. I love your advice and I'll be back for more!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Katy:-)
    Have a blessed day! Yes, it is so much better to make your food from scratch, but sometimes I get caught up in the fast food lane:-(
    Kat@livingrighteouslyandgodly.
    blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Katy,
    May God bless you and your family! I thank the Lord for your encourging blog posts.
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Kim in OK

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm there with you all the way Katy. We've been living that way for years. We all feel so much more productive and confident because we can do just about anything ourselves. It makes the money go a lot further. Making do or doing without are both great options to spending.

    I just can't be afraid of the future when I know we are being responsible with the present.

    Such a great reminder!

    xo
    Donna @ Comin' Home

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Katy for posting the link to this today. I missed it the first time around. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy