Friday, November 19, 2010

Duties of a Loving Mother

One of the best tools I have found for raising your children in the fear of the Lord (second to the Bible) is the book The Mother at Home by John S.C. Abott. This book was written in the 1800's but oh-so-full of valuable wisdom and thoughts. I have underlined many sentences in my book...things that really stuck out to me...but the whole book is very good. I will share a few of the sentences I have underlined and even quote the pages they are on. If you desire to be a strong and loving mother with obedient and happy children ~ I completely recommend this book!

"...as the mother is the guardian and guide of the early years of life, from her goes the most powerful influence in the formation of the character of man." (The Mother at Home, p. 2)

"His character is now, in an important sense, in your hands, and you are to form it for good or for evil." (The Mother at Home, p. 11)

"If you would be the happy mother of a happy child, give your attention, and your efforts, and your prayers, to the great duty of training him up for God and heaven." (The Mother at Home, p. 12)

"Obedience is absolutely essential to proper family government." (The Mother at Home, p. 13)

"...there should always be authority sufficient to enforce prompt obedience, whether the child can see the reason of the requirement or not." (The Mother at Home, p. 15)

"Never give a command which you do not intend shall be obeyed." (The Mother at Home, p. 16)

"...just so far as any mother allows her authority to be disregarded, so far does she expose herself to the contempt of her children, and actually teaches them lessons of disobedience." (The Mother at Home, p. 18)

"A mother must have great control over her own feelings--a calmness and composure of spirit not easily disturbed--or she will be occasionally provoked to acts of injustice by the misfortunes of which her children are the innocent cause." (The Mother at Home, p. 38)

"Every effort should be made to make home the most desirable place; to gather around it associations of delight; and thus to form in the mind of your child an attachment for peaceful and purifying enjoyments." (The Mother at Home, p. 44)

"Let a mother feel grieved, and manifest her grief when her child does wrong. Let her, with calmness and reflection; use the discipline which the case requires. But never let her manifest irritated feeling, or give utterance to an angry expression." (The Mother at Home, p. 49)

"It is the motherly influence, after all, which must be the great agent, in the hands of God, in bringing back our guilty race to duty and happiness." (The Mother at Home, p. 123)

"O mothers! Reflect upon the power your Maker has placed in your hands! There is no earthly influence to be compared with yours." (The Mother at Home, p. 123)

***Truly, this book is full of wonderful wisdom...if you can, please read it. I am reading it for a third time and will probably re-read it many times over! :) If you *have* read this book, I would love to hear your thoughts on it! Or, do one (or maybe all) of the quotes above speak to your heart? To discipline correctly creates a more loving and enjoyable home life! :)

Some pictures, from my home...

We finished, reading together, Little House in the Big Woods and began reading Little House on the Prairie. The children love it...and so do I! :)

Gifts for a friend...

Fresh bread from the oven...

After cooled, carefully put into bags and tucked into the bread drawer...

Lamplight on a rainy day...

A love note ~ from Xavier to me...

Madelyn reading...

Her newest reading choice...

Progress on my knitting (for other pictures of the afghan you can go HERE)...

My newest skirt and knit tights from HERE...

I pray that you, as mothers, have found encouragment in this post, today. I pray if you are struggling with your duties or feeling inadequate, that you will order the book I mentioned at the beginning of this post. You *will* find answers and encouragment! :) The Almighty, the great I Am, created *you* to be the mother of the child/children you were given. He will give you the strength, grace, patience and power to fulfill your role properly. Lean on Him, stay in prayer and use proper wisdom and guidance. You *can* be the mother you truly want to be! :)

Warmly,
Katy :)

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. ~Ephesians 3:16-20

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your notes on the book Katy. I purchased the book when you have mentioned it before. I am in the process of reading it. It is so full of wisdom I have read it slowly. I love that you shared these notes. Thank you. I always enjoy your pictures. When I see your daughter...all bundled and doing her school work, knitting, reading and such... it makes me feel happy because it reminds me of my daughter when she was alittle younger. I miss it. I have two younger sons but she is going to be 18 in January and I just miss her being young and the thoughts make me feel happy. Something about your daughtet resembles her. Maybe the sweet heart that shines through :D. Have a nice week end. smiles, Angelia in TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting the little clips from the your book. I needed that today, and now I'm off to search for the book. {{hug}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want to read that book!!!! Neat to see picture from your home!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today :-)
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy -
    Thank you for the book recommendation and quotes - I just placed an order to buy it! :o) I'm really enjoying your blog! I think my favorite part is that you seek to glorify Christ in all you do :o)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy