Monday, February 27, 2012

"In the family...

...life is brought not only to our doorstep, but into our kitchens, bedrooms, and dens. In the family, life is happening all around us, and it begs to be questioned, evaluated, interpreted, and discussed. There is no more consistent, pregnant, dynamic forum for instruction about life than the family, because that is exactly what God designed the family to be, a learning community."
~Paul David Tripp


"I have no faith in that woman who talks of grace and glory abroad, and uses no soap and water at home. Let the buttons be on the shirts, let the children's socks be mended, let the roast mutton be done to a turn, let the house be as neat as a new pin, and the home be as happy as home can be."
~Charles H. Spurgeon


Our families...our homes...such an important place of ministry for each of us wives and mothers. Sometimes, it's a duty we don't take seriously enough, I think. How can we be more like Christ, fellow sisters? By serving! And we should do so graciously, cheerfully...with love and patience. This can be such a difficult thing to do...but one that is completely necessary for a happy family. I know that I am still learning and trying to improve daily. It's easy to feel frustrated with things when they aren't going *right* and feel like throwing your hands up in disgust. It's much harder (but more beneficial) to smile amid the trials and work through things, knowing that God is *growing* you through it all. I know that at times, actually more often than not, I need much encouragement in this area. I get it through reading God's Word and spending time in prayer...and also reading Keep a Quiet Heart by Elisabeth Elliot! Be encouraged! We need no strength of our own to be the wife and mother God calls us to be...for His strength is all we need! Lean on Him and when times get tough, cry out to Him. He is our strong tower and help! :)


I have just some photos to share from around our home and the children. Many comment that they enjoy seeing these things...so I try sharing them when I can! 


Icicles, glistening from an outdoor light, hanging outside from the roof...



Some neat bottles Chris and Xavier found while out "hunting" (taking a walk) in the woods one weekend...



The children playing Legos....




Schoolwork...



A cross-stiched pillow my Grammie made me one year. It says: "Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me."...


In the kitchen...




Simple things, like neatly folded towels...all put away and ready for use, make me happy...


The children are planning a circus to perform sometime in the near future...




Well, it's about lunch time and bellies are growling! Most of our schooling is done for the day...and many chores done. Now it's time for lunch and some time spent reading! :)
Have a great day! Thanks for coming by!

***Today is the last day to vote for the Rafflecopter mascot name (in which the name I chose is in the running). If you haven't yet, would you consider going HERE and voting for FLECK? Thank you!

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

9 comments:

  1. Delightful...I so agree with you Katy, I think of my home as my base of operations. Everything flows out from it - whether it is laundry, cooking, meals for others, school, hospitality....

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home... the heart of it all! Love this post.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! I was just wondering what curriculum you use? Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Donna :)

      We use mostly Christian Light Education (a mennonite curriculum...wholesome and biblical...as well as good in the studies).
      We are using apologia for science though, as I wasn't a huge fan of the CLE science curric. For History, we are using an old PA State History book. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh I love the amish ...
    j'aime beaucoup ces petites poupées ! Quelle chance

    lucky ...

    bisous de France

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is amazing! I have just found out about Christian Light Education and had posted a question on my blog to see if anyone was familar with it. What subjects do you use it for? I am particularly interested in math. Have you used it for that? How are their teacher books? I want a math teacher book that shows how to work each problem. Does theirs do that? Sorry about all the questions. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use it for Bible, Handwriting, Language Arts, Reading, Art and Math. I really like the Math. :) I like their teacher books...they give all the answers and they help give suggestions on how to explain things to your children. :) If I remember later, I will try to take a few photos of the books to show you, if you'd like. :)

      Delete
    2. I almost forgot to tell you that their aren't teacher books for 4th grade and up, I think. There are just answer keys. :)

      Delete
  6. Yes, I would love to see pictures of the books. We are going into 7th grade this coming year. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy