Sunday, February 12, 2012

We're Home...


Praise be to God...we are home. Jaxson is resting. The surgery went well on his eye...now it needs to heal. He will be wearing a protective guard over it for at least a month plus have to have another surgery to remove the stitches in a couple months. We are not out of the woods yet, though.

Yesterday afternoon, the boys were playing with their homemade bow and arrows (clothes hangers/ rubber bands and pencils). Apparently, as they were upstairs and I didn't see it all happen, X shot Jaxson in the eye. Jax came downstairs crying and because boo-boos happen a lot here, I soothed him and then had him lay down and rest (without ever even checking his eye...to my shame). He napped and then when he woke, his sister noticed something with his eye. Chris and I took a look and decided we definitely needed to have him looked at. We contacted a local eye doctor and although their offices were closed, she kindly came in and helped us. The pencil had gone in about 4-5mm and when it came out, it pulled the iris (the color part of the eye) through the hole it made (which was actually a blessing because it kept fluids from inside the eye from draining). You can see in the top photo, in his left eye...the dark spot to the left is his iris pulled through.

The eye doc had us get some things from home and sent us to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh. We left Madelyn and X with Chris's parents. My mom, aunt and our friend, Barb, followed us the whole way down there. We didn't get down there till almost 9pm or so...then we had to do registration and a CT scan, IV's and such. My baby boy, before surgery...

 
The surgery lasted from **about** 10:30pm until 3 or so in the wee hours Sunday morning. We sat in the waiting room, trying to stay optimistic. Jaxson had made being brave so easy for the rest of us, as he didn't cry a wink. He was so strong...truly a gift granted by God, the ultimate Healer.

The doctors came out and assured us that although there are no guarantees, everything went as well as could be expected. They had to push the iris back into place and stitch it all up. As long as infection doesn't creep in and all heals well...the best scenario is that he will still have his vision and although the pupil will be a little mis-shapen, it should heal well.

We have a regiment of drops, an ointment and an antibiotic to give him numerous times through the day. Tuesday we have to make the trip back to Pittsburgh to have the doctor check it again.

He doesn't open either of his eyes much right now. As I type, he's listening to a movie...resting before heading to bed. It's been a *long* couple of days and we are all in serious need of sleep. Here he is recovering after surgery...




Grammie got him a VW car to play with...and he would lay (eyes shut, of course) and just drive it back and forth on the bed there...


After breakfast, sleep, lunch, and more sleep, he had the energy to get up and go over to sit with daddy for a bit!


Our view out the room window (we were on the 7th floor)...


So much has happened...and my few little paragraphs above don't even skim the surface of it all...but I wanted to update, quickly, before heading to bed. Chris, the children and I truly appreciate all your prayers. Your kindness, encouragement and love have blessed us immensely and we thank God for each of *you*. If you feel lead, please lift Jaxson up when he comes to mind...as I said towards the beginning of this post, we aren't out of the woods yet. God has made the eye to be an amazing thing..but the chance for infection is high and serious.

If you are wondering how X feels about what happened, he has learned a huge lesson. He cried and cried....truly remorseful for what had happened. Our house will be quieter than usual...rough-housing has been banished for the next while.

Again, thank you for loving us enough to pray. It truly means the world to us.

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

32 comments:

  1. I have thought of you several times today. So glad to hear that Jaxson is doing better. I will keep you in my prayers in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have continues to pray for Jaxson and all of you and will continue to do so. he is such an amazingly brave little boy! Praise God for His loving, merciful protection and ever present help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad he is doing well now. I will continue to pray for his eye to be completely healed. Such a sweet and strong boy you have! God bless him in his recovery.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Continuing to pray, God be praised for His blessings, and that all go well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My prayers continue for the healing of the eye & no infection.

    God Bless,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise God!!! Will continue to pray for rapid healing!

    Blessings to your whole family,
    Katie

    John 14:27

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear you are home and that the surgery went well. Last year one of my twin girls fractured her arm - quite a serious break. How did she do it? - not falling out of the trees they are always climbing and not at the ice rink where she goes every week for lessons, no simply playing a game of chase outside and tripping over a step and falling onto her elbow. She also was very brave at the hospital and was all smiles even as she was wheeled into surgery. She seemed to have an extra measure of resilience and patience that enabled her to cope with all that was new and unfamiliar and she utterly charmed the medical staff. Oh how much God cares for our little ones and desires to use them to minister to others - this is what God taught me through our mishap last year and praise Him for healing her arm completely. I pray for the same complete healing for Jaxson's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure just being home is helping all of you. I am happy to hear Jaxson is doing well. I will continue to pray for healing, no infection and no impaired vision. Hope you all rest well tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rest well you guys. (: I'm glad it wasn't worse and that the Lord is definitely looking out for you all! We'll keep your family in our prayers - - speedy recovery, no infection, and self forgiveness for X (poor little guy).

    Take care,

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Lamb, I teared up just reading all this! I worked for an eye doctor before marriage and have seen all kinds of eye injuries, but I still cringe when I see them.
    Glad he's doing better, and I'll be praying healing goes quickly and without problems!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope things are going well and I will be praying for complete healing for his eye. Blessings to all your family.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for taking your time to update us. Be assured that your family has been prayed for Saturday PM, Sunday all day and will continue to be prayed for in the coming weeks. Thank you, Jesus for guiding the doctors hands to preform the surgery and that it went well. Take Care and God Bless! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Katy, God bless Jaxson. You all are in my prayers tonight.
    Blessings,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy Jaxon is home and doing well. Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Truly God is an awesome redeemer! His healing hand is always there for us to reachout and take. We continue to pray for all of you. Yes, I'm sure that X is soooo sorry. Give all the children hugs and kisses for us. Stay wrapped in God's quilt of comfort and love! Love, Aunt Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those pictures just make me want to scoop him up and hold him! Poor guy! We've been thinking of and praying for him! Tell him we love him!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank God Jaxson is fine now! Praise the Lord! Christina

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bless his heart, praying still for all to be finished.So happy he is home, God is so Good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahh, the rough housing. Our daughter was 3 and her brother was 4. They were running across the room and jumping on the couch. She hit the wooden arm rest with her palm and screamed. I had told them to stop so many times. I said, "I don't feel sorry for you at all. It was bound to happen. Go put your PJs on." Upstairs she went. Down comes brother about an hour later, "Sister laid down and now she can't sit up." Ahem. 6 hours and a sling later, we had the diagnosis of broken collar bone. Stuff happens. I swallowed down the guilt. :) She is 26 now, married and fine. Praying for Jaxson and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So very grateful that the surgery went well. We will continue to pray for Jaxon, X and your family. We have prayed for no torment for anyone concerning the matter and no fear that God's peace is felt. So wonderful your mother and friend to support you and Chris as you go through these kinds of things. May you continue to feel the comfort and peace that passes understanding guarding your hearts and minds in Christ. So thankful, Angelia in Tx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Momma Katy,

    I have been in prayer for your sweet Jaxson since I read your original post that very late night before I headed off to bed. What a blessing your boy has been so brave. And that you have had such attentive and capable doctors and nurses. Praise God! I am glad you all are home again.

    Please, Lord, heal little Jaxson's eye and give him his vision in it.

    Katy, I'd like to send a get well gift to Mr. Jaxson. Are you comfortabe emailing me your snail mail address? kelly_prosch@yahoo.com

    Bless you as you care for your family this week, Katy!

    ~Kelly in MN

    ReplyDelete
  23. It has been a very busy weekend here and just now is the first time I've had to sit and check in on the blogs I love to visit, so it is the first time I've heard about your sweet little boy. I am so very sorry that he has been through such a tramatic ordeal, and I am very happy that the surgery went well!! To GOD be the glory!!! You all will be in my prayers and I pray Jaxon will recieve favor in healing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jaxson and your family are in my continued thoughts and prayers. I'm glad to read that he is on the mend. God is awesome!

    Nicki in WV

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am just now reading your posts. I hope your baby boy is doing well. I am lifting him and your entire family up in prayer. :) The Great Physician has him in his care. :) I am so sorry for the accident. Try to rest knowing you have many praying for you.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh the poor little boy!!!! what traumatic event for you all!!! You take it so well Katy! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was praying for your son and your family after I saw your first post! What an ordeal! What a brave son to nap first...! (no wonder you didn't suspect anything serious!)

    When one of my sons was little, he had many eye surgeries, so I can imagine you are showering lots of love on Jaxson right now! Love and gratefulness to God! Sometimes we can't stop bad things from happening, but Jesus is there standing with you and showering His love, love,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad to see that Jaxson is doing well after surgery! When I was in high school I got stabbed in the eye with the metal tip of a drawing compass (it was an accident) and had to have a similar sounding surgery. All turned out ok and I'm sure all be just fine for your precious boy as well. Kids are so resilent!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Katy,

    Glad to hear that Jaxson is doing so well. The other children probably put in a rough night Saturday worrying about him. Accidents happen, tell X to take a lesson from that chapter in the book of life and close it and move on, no need for him to carry a guilty feeling to long.

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  30. Poor sweet boy, I will be praying for a quick recovery! How brave he is! I am so squemish with anything to do with the eyes. Have a great week!

    blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  31. So happy he is doing okay...he is such a strong little boy! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanking the good Lord his surgery went well and praying for the very best outcome...Blessings

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy