Saturday, February 4, 2012

In The Kitchen


Look what I got in the mail the other day! My children and I just love the Homestead Blessings DVD series and the West ladies themselves! Just watching the movies makes you feel as though Vicki, Jasmine, Hannah and Cecelia are your good friends. I don't know them personally...but I am thrilled to say that Mrs. Vicki *did* email me previously. I am not one to get "star struck"...and some may not consider them "stars" anyway...but to me, in my simple little life, they are stars! So when I got the personal email from Mrs. Vicki, I almost fell off my chair! Such kind, down-to-earth, sweet ladies they each seem to be! My children love them too! :o)


I look forward to trying some of their wonderful-sounding recipes! Do you have this cookbook? If so, have you tried anything in it yet? I would love to hear your favorites!


Getting a new cookbook encourages me to tidy-up my kitchen. I wash and tidy it daily...but it gave me a desire to do a bit more...I put some labels on things and moved a few things around...





One of the numerous loads of dishes I wash...mostly done (although a few dishes were hiding under the warm, sudsy water!)...



For supper, the other night, we had a simple but oh-so-delicious meal of eggs (fresh from the chickens), bacon (fresh from the meat market), buttermilk biscuits (from scratch) and hashbrowns. It all hit the spot! When Chris called before coming home from work that day I told him what we were having. He couldn't wait to get home!

 After we all ate that night, he commented on how much he enjoyed the meal! It's times like that that really encourage this wife! Cooking a meal that your husband (and children) really enjoy is such a blessing!


I also got this book: The Backyard Homestead. Wow...is it ever fantastic! I hope to make raised garden beds this year out back. This books shows just how to do it! It tells you the right time to plant things (as well as how to grow things from seed). It gives information on canning, herbs, bees/honey and so much more! Many items that are explained in this book are things I already know how to do...but there is *much* more in the pages that I have been *wanting* to learn!


If you would like to be more self-sufficient, I completely recommend this book! Chris has really enjoyed reading through it as well. I hope to put it to good use this spring/summer!

So far, the children and I are enjoying a slower morning. Chris went in to the church to help out with some things. My littlest nephew is here with us for a bit, snuggling with Madelyn and an afghan after playing outside in the chilly air for a bit. I am not sure what the day holds except my normal housework duties...which is okay with me. I am perfectly content with a slow, non-demanding day. Last night, we went bowling with a couple other families. Everyone had a nice time. My Chris got the highest score...I was 2nd to last (and actually only being ahead of last place by 2 points!). After getting a strike on my very first turn...it pretty much went downhill from there for me! ;)

Thank-you for visiting me here. I hope your weekend (event-filled or not) is one full of blessings and joy! :)

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

18 comments:

  1. I need that backyard book! I am hoping to do a raised bed to two this year also!! You'll have to let me take a gander at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I get a copy of "The Homestead Blessings Cookbook"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kim! You can find it at visionforum.com or on their site homesteadblessings.com! You may be able to find it on amazon too! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tip about the cookbook - I just love the West Ladies! I have borrowed several of their DVDs from the library, and their dairy one is on my Amazon wish list!
    I enjoy your blog so much, Katy, especially the posts about everyday home life! You have a beautiful home - and heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed The Backyard Homestead. I used a couple of raised beds last year for stawberries, lettuce and cabbage. I love them! It is much, much easier to keep the weeds under control.

    I have The Art of Cooking DVD from the West Ladies. I hope to get a couple more this year. I really enjoyed it!

    I am making breakfast for dinner tomorrow evening. Everyone was super excited this morning when said I would be making biscuits tomorrow!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    BTW... did you receive the DVD?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have both of those books! We love the West Ladies, too, and I bought the cookbook for my almost 13 year old for Christmas!

    We also enjoy the Backyard Homestead book!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katy,
    I too have the West Ladies Cookbook and they were kind enough to sign it for me.
    On another note I thought you may like to have a look at this film online about gardening. It has changed the way I view gardening and I have ordered the DVD.
    http://backtoedenfilm.com
    I'm sure you would enjoy it.

    Many blessings,

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Katy, Thanks for sharing the cookbook...it maybe something I've been looking for since I have difficulty finding menus to prepare. Luv

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the West Ladies!! The hubby surprised me with a personalized autographed cookbook n the whole DVD set for Christmas!! Now that's what I call romantic ;) their recipes are a little different as far as flavor wise from what I'm use to being from the south;) but over all really good! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Katy, that you for such a great blog...I'm in love with your jars in your kitchen, where did you get your labels for your jars. I'm going through my kitchen now and have it cleaned now I'm ready to make it more into the old fashion look like yours so that it gives me peace as I work there. I love the jars !!!!!! thanks again..sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Katy, please share how you created your jar labels! Right now I'm just using masking tape and a Sharpie! ;)
    I did "borrow" your idea of a basket on the counter for my hand-knit dishcloths. Very cute and colorful to look at, and it frees up more space in my towel drawer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link of where my pantry labels came from! :) http://www.lovablelabels.ca/product/household-labels-pantry-labels/

      Delete
  11. Both those books look very interesting. I have never watched any of the video's of the West ladies as our library does not have any of them. Your home looks lovely. I really like your red cabinets with the white doors. I may have to "borrow" that idea when I paint ours next. I love red. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to order someYour canisters look great with the lables. Your posts are so inspiring!ive just discovered the pioneer woman cooks. Awesome recipeshave a great day!~christina

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to order someYour canisters look great with the lables. Your posts are so inspiring!ive just discovered the pioneer woman cooks. Awesome recipeshave a great day!~christina

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am blessed to own the complete set of Homestead Blessings DVDs. I have found their quilting one to be a real help as I am a complete novice and I have a handstitched quilt that was given to me by a neighbour which just needs binding. My neighbour also gave me all her big glass storage jars from her pantry when she moved and they are just wonderful to have lined up on my shelves. I was so blessed by this lady wasn't I! How lovely that Vicki sent you a personal message. It reminds me of when I wrote to Emilie Barnes to thank her for her books and she sent me a handwritten note full of encouragement. That was in the days before emails! I still have that little note and will treasure it always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a couple of self sufficient lifestyle books, but will be checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the west ladies canning dvd...it was so fun to watch!! Hopr you enjoy your new cook book!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy