Friday, February 10, 2012

At this moment...


 ...the children are making lap books about themselves. They have out magazines, scissors, glue, markers, colored pencils, crayons and *lots* of creativity. They seem to be enjoying themselves and I am glad. We have never done lap books before...but I thought this would be a great introduction to them. I hope to do more in the future on a variety of different things!


As they work, I am sitting, quite contently, in one of our twin recliners with the bottom extended...but my legs are curled in to sit indian-style, propping the laptop on my lap. I am struggling to be cheerful today...as I must confess, I am feeling a bit down. As I wrote yesterday, I am just starting to recuperate from this cold I have been fighting all week. Just as I sat in hopes of feeling truly healthy again...I am now having to report that I have conjunctivitis (better known as pink eye). Chris and X both battled it earlier this past weekend...but I treated them (you know, doctor that I am and all ;) with a sterile water/honey mixture (a natural anti-septic) repeatedly and it really seemed to help. Somehow, despite all my hand-washing, I came down with it too...So I sit here on this cold, gray, gloomy day...with puffy, sore, itchy eyes...feeling a bit sorry for myself. Isn't that awful? I know I shouldn't...and I am really trying *not* to...but I am just frustrated with it all. I'm not good with being slowed down. I truly am thankful though, that I can still keep up with things around the house. I think if the house were messy and stressful, I would feel worse. 


There is a (delicious-smelling) ham cooking away, slowly, in the crock-pot right now...to go along with mashed potatoes and a veggie that I will prepare closer to supper time. The children are still cutting and pasting away on their lap books...and I just came in a bit ago from filling up the outdoor wood stove. I feel as though I need a nap in the worst way...but at the same time, just don't feel as though I could doze off and fully rest. I look forward to the evening when Chris gets home from work. I love when he is home, as do the children. His humor and laughter is infectious


Last night, Xavier built a marshmallow launcher (more on that below) all on his own. Chris and he were having so fun launching things through the house....although we are out of marshmallows...so they were using paper balls, foil balls and other things they could find. The fun always really begins when daddy gets home!



 Yesterday, we worked on schoolwork and art projects...




In the evening, Xavier put together the marshmallow launcher kit of his. He did it all on his own...read the directions and put it together. I was quite impressed..not that I am *surprised* that he could do it, I suppose I still just get amazed when I realize that my babies aren't babies anymore.




Xavier, my too young to be old-too old to be young son, proudly showing off his handmade marshmallow launcher...


Thank you all for the kind get-well-soon prayers and notes you sent my way in my last post. I read and appreciate every one. I'm not well yet...but hopefully will be...soon! :o) The children are finishing up their lap books and my mom just stopped by to say *hello* (in this danger-zone of sickness...such a brave woman she is!) So off I go for now! Smiles for an enjoyable weekend ahead!

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

14 comments:

  1. Oh Katy, I hope your eyes feel better soon! I don't know if you have any handy but taking a good amount of goldenseal and echinacea orally will work as an antibiotic, besides the honey washes putting a layer of neosporin type ointment on your eyes at night will help with the morning ickyness.

    I've used lapbooks with my kids for years, if you want any ideas I have links with free templates, lessons, elements..you name it. They are by far my favorite part of homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a lapbook??

    Tell Xavier that Eloise and I said "Good Job" (although she is napping at the moment). He'll have to show it to us sometime when we come to your house! :)

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The woman at my local Natural Foods store told me that putting colloidal silver in the eyes will cure them of pink eye. I keep a little dropper of colloidal silver for all kinds of things. Might be worth a shot.

    We are sick bunch around here as well. I got swabbed (and it was positive) for the Influenza going around. It is a doozy this year. But thank the Lord for Tamiflu and other stuff that makes it bearable. I know what you mean about not liking being out of commission. It is so hard. But you are doing much better than me. I have not cooked since I got sick. We just snack around or send someone out for fast food : )

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a delightful weekend, Katy!

    I love to see your creativity and your children's creativity...so wonderful to look forward to Daddy's return home....

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy,
    Sorry to hear that you are ill. Hope you will be feeling better soon.
    We use Colloidal Silver in my home for pink eye. I put it on a cotton swab and swab all around the eye area. DO NOT PUT IT INTO THE EYE FOR RISK OF BLINDNESS!!!!! It only takes about 1-2 days to get rid of it. I think it costs around 10$ or so. Well worth it- cheaper than the dr. copay and prescription, and possible germs perhaps caught at the office:)

    Teresa in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the weekend brings you healing, comfort and renewed vitality!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound sooo miserable. Wish it was something I could do to help...all I have is a big huge {{{{HUG}}}}, and some...please get well soon's! Hope you feel better real soon Katy! Luv

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lapbooks so much, what a great idea to make one of themselves!! We're currently making a little house in the big woods lapbook..so much fun!! I promise you will be hooked after your first lapbook is complete!!
    Looks like you son is going to be a talented wood craftsmen!!
    Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it nice that the presence and laughter of your man can make you feel better(?) It's so sweet how kindly and admirably you speak of your Chris. Hope he is nearby the majority of the weekend for you (and those *growing* babies). (: Have a restful weekend and speedy healing Katy!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet post! Your house looks cozy!

    I hope your eyes feel better soon. I know how miserable that must feel.

    Blessings
    Mrs. White

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when you write about your home and the children. Chris sounds like a great man. Hope you feel better soon.

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  12. When we hear the garage door open in the early evening we are all happy, happy that Daddy is ariving home. Things always seem better when Chuck is home. :) It makes me happy that you and your children feel the same.

    Hope that you are feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sweetie - Hope you feel better soon...check on your mom too...she's not feeling well either...I put a Valentine package into the mail today for the kiddos!!

    Love you!
    Aunt Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  14. I certainly hope you feel better soon. The marshmellow launcher looks awesome. I'm sure everyone had lots of fun with it. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy