Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Long Awaited Day of Sunshine!

Oh, has this been a busy week for my family! My mother fell quite under-the-weather, starting last week. Thankfully, slowly but surely, she is getting better daily. Her illness made her extremely dizzy, exhausted and just overall, not-well. (Although she *did* have enough oomph to tease me, one day, about my over-usage of commas on my blog! ;)

My mom is a tax collector for her area and had "hours" where she was to be at her office to receive taxes (from people who choose not to mail them in). Because she was ill, I went in her place. I couldn't officially receipt her taxes, as I am not the tax collector for her area, but I could take them and assure the payers that they would receive a receipt in the mail. So I spent a lot of time at my mom's office, which is located in the office/waiting room at my dad's garage (the children thought of it as a great *treat*!)

I also spent time, at my mom's house, helping her receipt her taxes as she has her monthly report due and was just not up to all the work herself. I also did a few things for my dad's business....paperwork and such, that needed to be done. AND during this down-time for mom...the peeps arrived! (She and I ordered together...as well as some of her neighbors and my uncle....talk about zaney...making sure they were all taken care of!)

My sister, who lives an hour away, made the trip to town yesterday. She helped at mom's house, cleaning and such. She also came to clean at the garage so guess who got to care for Eloise!? Yep, yours truly! What a treat that was! I am glad she was able to come. I know it is difficult for her, being so far away (and yet, close...but with gas prices...not close enough!).

I must admit...I am thrilled to be able to help my mother who has **always** done for and been there for me. I will always do whatever I can to help her when she needs me. That being said, let me also admit that I am a planner. Everything that has gone on for a week or so has thrown me for a loop and although I tried to remain strong...I did get weepy and stressed, some. I am used to being at home, for the most part. Honestly, I probably put more miles on my car in this one week than I have in a month, at times! Of course, my mother is more-than worth it. I don't mean to complain by any means...just *being real*.

On top of this busy week...it has rained....every single day but last Sunday and, thankfully, today! Oh, how rain can just put your spirits down! Do you feel that way too? A rainy day, of itself isn't so bad, but the continual days of rain are pretty difficult to enjoy.

So, when the sun poked its head out today, I was over-joyed! Since my mom is feeling a bit better, I stayed home today to catch up on my housework and baking! I got washing going early and out on the line, soaking up some of that wonderful, warm sunshine! Bread was baked, house was tidied, floors swept, and some learning done. The children have enjoyed lots of time playing outside and Jaxson even took a nap! :)

Here are some photos I captured...


A new book I ordered long-ago but it was just released...

Time in the word is a daily, important part of my day...

And I pray thee, loving Jesus, that as Thou hast graciously given me to drink in with delight the words of Thy knowledge, so Thou wouldst mercifully grant me to attain one day to Thee, the fountain of all wisdom and to appear forever before Thy face.
Venerable Bede

Some books I love...

Memory journaling...

Laundry, out on the line...

My hosta is starting to grow! With all the rain and busyness, I haven't had much time to clean out this garden...but I will be getting my hands dirty soon!

Tulips Madelyn picked for me...

Homemade pizza for lunch, using a new RECIPE for the crust (that is delicious!)...

Bread, hot from the oven...


Littlest Jaxson, taking a much-needed nap...

Madelyn seems to be missing from these photos...but be assured, she *is* here and sweet as can be. She's clad in a flowery skirt, tan shirt and flip-flops. She is working on some schoolwork, right now, math to be exact. Her and X have spent a great amount of the day, outside. :)

I hope the sun is shining where you are *too*! I'm so glad you visited me here, today. I hope you are enjoying your week. :)

Warmly,
Katy

18 comments:

  1. visits with you are such a delight! Sounds alike a very busy week for you...no wonder you didn't post much!
    It was sunny for us here yesterda...today it's back to rain again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you dear! I know your Mom is happy to have you there for her. Sometimes, and I must say without hesitation, we have to un-plan when it comes to our parents, because they gave us so much and, keep on giving! I know because my Mom, bless her, is in her eighties and still as strong as ever, and is always there for us, regardless! I really admire you for this, and know you will receive your blessings. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Katy I just love reading your blog. It's like sitting chatting with a good friend. You are a very good writer. So happy you had a good day and yes it was sunny here in NE Pa. But a bit windy and chilly. Take care and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Kyle (age 5) and Sarah (age 8) have been outside all afternoon!

    They are having quite a fun time...

    We are enjoying the sunshine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy...Thanks for sharing and chatting with us all.. so enjoy
    the visit.. :-)
    Warm Blessings
    Trish-Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have had breaks in the rain from time to time. I love to be outdoors. All of your baked goods look mouth watering. Reading your blog & Nen's I have come to learn how much you two care for your parents & Grandmother. How wonderful you two are close sisters. Your book looks like one I would enjoy. Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the sun has been shining here today and it was glorious!!! We have had so much rain!

    Katy, Your sweet journal is wonderful. I am trying to do one myself. It is more fun than I imagined and someday ....maybe furture generations will want to know all about me and my days. Do ya think???

    You are so nice to help your Mom out. I am glad she is feeling better. I used to help my Mom and have never regretted one day of it!!

    Take care and thanks for allowing me to read your blog.

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your mom feels much much better in the coming days!! =)

    I'm now the proud owner of a very similar book on Homesteading - has the same title and description and everything. Received it for winning a giveaway and the first person I thought of was you! A lot of the things mentioned in the book reminded me of the type of posts you've posted about homemaking! =)

    Enjoyed the pictures - hope you have a lovely month of May!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet family :) I love reading your blog and am always inspired by it. I pray that your Mother will be well soon and back to normal. She's blessed to have you!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of sunshine here today! We have had so much rain that there is an area in the front yard that we can't mow. Very hopeful for dry days.

    I can't wait to try the pizza crust. The one I use is fine, but I am not in love with it.

    Hope things settle down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The rain gets me down as well, so dreary and just saps all my energy from me:( BUT, we had sun today as well and OH how beautiful it was, I had clothes on the line too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just found your blog and am enjoying it. Don't be too down on the rain. I live in San Antonio; we had a little over 2 inches of rain in January and less than and inch total since. We have been on water restrictions for almost a month already. Pray for some of your rain to get here!

    Thanks for sharing your life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just found your blog and am enjoying it. Don't be too down on the rain. I live in San Antonio; we had a little over 2 inches of rain in January and less than and inch total since. We have been on water restrictions for almost a month already. Pray for some of your rain to get here!

    Thanks for sharing your life.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Katy,

    We are in south central PA and are loving the sunshine as well. There areas of our property that my husband cannot mow because it's still just too wet! I love your collection of homesteading books, can you mention one or two of your favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful daughter you are! I'm sure your mom much appreciated it :O) Love your pictures! We have had rain too and you are right, several days of it dampens a person spirits. Then God sends a glorious sunny day to make up for it :O)

    Have a blessed day!

    *Christi jo*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a great Mothers Day my friend..
    praying your mom is feeling much better..
    take care,

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have had a very busy week. I know you enjoyed time with Eloise--she is growing up so fast. I can just smell all that good bread baking. Have a wonderful Mother's Day.
    Love Ya!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had to laugh when I saw the title of this post. My first thought was "she must live in PA". Out of curiosity, I looked at your profile and you DO live in PA! I'm in the soggy state of PA as well. Every sunny day this spring has been welcomed with a bit of hilarity after all of the rain we've had. My laundry is on the line today though. You and I should have some good days this week to dry our things out on the line. Happy today!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy