Friday, May 27, 2011

Home-Making

"But the true idea of a home is that it is a place for growth. It is a place for the parents themselves to grow -- to grow into beauty of character, to grow in refinement, in knowledge, in strength, in wisdom, in patience, gentleness, kindliness, and all the Christian graces and virtues. It is a place for children to grow -- to grow into physical vigor and health and to be trained in all that shall make them true and noble men and women."
~J.R. Miller, Home-Making p. 92

I am reading "Home-Making" by J.R. Miller. It is an absolutely wonderful book. Have you read it? If not, please do. It is available to purchase HERE or you can read it online HERE. I haven't finished it yet...as I am soaking in every word to it's fullest. I also underline things I find important and want to remember. I must admit, I think there is at least one thing (or more) underlined on almost every page! This book is a treasure and one of my favorites. I intend on re-reading it, as well! Inter-mingled, in this post, will be a few quotes from the book that I longed to share with you.

"There is nothing in all the influences and surroundings of the home of tender childhood so small that it does not leave its touch of beauty or of marring upon the life."
~J.R. Miller, Home-Making p. 94

"Wherever a child grows up it carries in its character the subtle impressions of the home in which it lives."
~J.R. Miller, Home-Making p. 95

Our peeps are out-growing their temporary home. They lost their fuzzy, yellow cuteness quickly. They are now in the teenage-chicken days of growing...fiesty little gals they are! We need to find them a bigger home, soon! They're growing like weeds!

This little gal (Madelyn named Trixie) is from my mom's growing flock. She is about 1/3 the size of all the rest (the runts are always my favorite!). Because she is so small, the others were picking on her. Grammie (my mom) offered Trixie to Madelyn to keep and raise as her own. So Madelyn (with help from the boys) has been caring for this littlest chicken.

"What we want to do with our children is not merely to control them and keep them in order, but to implant true principles deep in their hearts which shall rule their whole lives; to shape their character from within into Christlike beauty, and to make of them noble men and women, strong for battle and for duty. They are to be trained rather than governed. Growth of character, not merely good behavior, is the object of all home governing and teaching. Therefore the home influence is far more important than the home laws, and the parents' lives are of more moment than their teachings."
~J.R. Miller, Home-Making p. 107


Window stars can dress up the ugliness of old, beat-up garage windows...

"...when a little child in a mother's bosom is loved, nursed, caressed, held close to her heart, prayed over, wept over, talked with, for days, weeks, months, years, it is no mere fancy to say that the mother's life has indeed passed into the child's soul. What it becomes is determined by what the mother is. The early years settle what its character will be, and these are the mother's years."
~J.R. Miller, Home-Making p. 108

Jaxson was invited to spend a day with Grammie, last week. Madelyn, Xavier and I spent some time reading, outside.

"You know what a true home ought to be. It ought to be a place where love rules. It ought to be beautiful, bright, joyous, full of tenderness and affection; a place in which all are growing happier and better each day."
~J.R. Miller, Home-Making p. 116-117

"The home, no matter how humble it is, how plain, how small, should be the dearest spot on the earth to each member of the family...It should be the refuge of his soul in every trial and grief."
~J.R. Miller, Home-Making p. 117


"Let parents be faithful; let them do their best. The work may seem too great for them, and they may faint under its burdens and seem to fail. But what they cannot do the angels will come and finish while they sleep."
~J.R. Miller, Home-Making p.111

Well loved, much read, Boxcar Children books (I would love to get the ones we are missing in the series, at some point!)...

"The ideal Christian home is a far-reaching benediction."
~J.R. Miller, Home-Making p. 72

Truly, this book will encourage you in all your roles of the household....wife, mother, child...there are even sections for husbands and fathers. I am only half-way through it and I am quite sure I will enjoy the second half of this beloved treasure as much as the first, underlining my way through it. It was originally published in 1882...but it's words are absolutely timeless. If you have read this book...I would love for you to share your thoughts on it! :)

This weekend is filled with cookouts with friends and family and hopefully, lots of sunshine! I intend to enjoy it to its fullest! I hope *you* do too!
Joyfully,
Katy

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

9 comments:

  1. sounds like a wondreful book....
    have a great cookout...i hope the weather cooperates !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a book that I would most definitely enjoy reading.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Enjoy your cookout & family time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book and it was a great book but not a very easy read for me (I guess being 1800s and all). I need to go back through it and read it slowly and let my mind absorb the words. Sometimes I feel like my brain is so foggy and I can't comprehend anything! Anyway, I will get it back down and reread it. I think it is called something else now?? The Mother at Home perhaps? Not sure...Vision Forum has it on their site.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the pic of the well-read boxcar children books. A favorite of mine also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book - now called 'The Family' but do like the cover of the edition you have. Some of your underlined quotes are my favourites ones too - especially the one on page 107. You will reread it - I'm onto my third time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read it, and re-read it many times! In fact, just the other day I loaned mine out to a dear friend who is enjoying it now. You are right that the wisdom in the pages of this book are timeless. I quoted from the book awhile back on my facebook page, and someone commented that the words I shared were "bold". I believe what I had quoted, was about the wife's work in the home being first above all other activities. I found it interesting, that back when the book was written, this would not have been considered 'bold'. In today's career driven society however, it's bold to think of a woman choosing to stay at home and making her home and family priority. Glad you are enjoying the book. I recommend it to everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that book, too, Katy. I read it a few times and then passed it on to another SAHM. The book is old fashioned, but so true. The principles are still for today...if only more would follow. Have a wonderful weekend! ~ Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, I so enjoyed this blog, and your mention of the boxcar children series brought back so many memories. I loved those books and would go to the Book Mobile when it came to my elementary school, and read them over and over again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book, too! Such treasures to be mined from it!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy