Monday, May 16, 2011

Simple Living: Daily Moments

Among the busyness I've posted about lately, like planting flowers and our vegetable garden; hiking; and helping decorate for our friends' wedding; common, daily moments have occurred as well. Each moment creates a memory that is treasured, no matter how *common* it may seem! Loving the simple things in life gives me joy. Finding the gift in each small moment is not something a lot of people seem to do...and oh, how they are missing out! I love my childrens' laughter, candlelight, handmade gifts, flower gardens and the chirping of birds outside, in the morning. Simple things...the smell of the air in each changing season, the tinkling sound of wind chimes in the breeze, open windows in the spring, deep gazes into the face of your beloved as you cup his face, gently in your hands....Oh, how I could go on and on. Maybe someday I will....a post listing simple things I love. That, however, is for another day. Today, I have assembled a multitude of pictures from the past few weeks of our daily moments. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Pa (Chris's dad) celebrated his birthday earlier this month. Xavier made him this box, all by himself. He cut the wood, put on the hinges and also a lock!


Pa loved it!

My beautiful table, a gift built by my children especially for me, for Mother's Day...

Clothes soaking up the sunshine...

Jaxson, working on a wooden puzzle of the United States (it's a Melissa and Doug puzzle I found at Goodwill for only a few dollars!)...


All our schoolbooks, neatly shelved until our next school year starts in the fall...

Madelyn, loving the lantern....


Devotional books and flash cards we use to teach the children, encouraging their knowledge and love for Jesus...

Candles lit in the dining room...

Dishes being washed at the kitchen sink...

Rolls, hot from the oven...

A corner in the dining room...

Playing Uno with Jaxson (using itty-bitty cards!)...

Bread rising...

Spaghetti for supper, one evening, using my homemade sauce...

Xavier and Chris, working on a wood craft together...


Jaxson...

Madelyn...

The finished project!

I hope you are enjoying your simple daily moments. They are truly what a beautiful life is made of!

Joyfully,
Katy


"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

14 comments:

  1. hey girl - thanks for dropping by my blog. YOU HAVE been busy in the garden! And we love - LOVE - that Melissa & Doug states puzzle !!

    hope you've been well!
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your simple moments! Enjoying the simple moments fuels us to be able to realx and be fully present in the "big" moments as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the handmade gifts. I think gifts made from the heart are the best!

    I couldn't agree more about the simple moments! Simple moments bring me so much joy!!

    ***I am the deleted comment. I couldn't think and type at the same time! :)***

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was wondering when you were going to post about the box and table! so sweet!!

    those uno cards are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sweet simple moments too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am a lover of the simple things. As I type this the rain is coming down on this chilly Monday afternoon, I'm wrapped in a warm blanket as some random thunder booms, a slightly nervous dog lays at my feet... and I am in heaven :) Love the post ~ I have those same glass jars for my baking supplies and 5 loaves of bread rising on the kitchen counter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed seeing your pictures! One suggestion, have your sweeties build you a table just the right height to hold you clothes basket beside your clothes line pole. You would not believe how much wear & tear it will save your back on laundry day. Make sure it's sturdy enough to hold a basket full of wet clothes, so it won't tip over when you sit it down. It is so much easier than having your basket sitting on the ground! I love my line, I have hung clothes out here since 1978! Peace & blessings to you, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet life you are creating for your precious family! A treasure indeed!

    Would love to find that puzzle as we study US history next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,
    Your post brought to mind I remember hearing from my youth by Tom T. Hall. It was called "I love" (I love little baby ducks, old pick up trucks, slow moving trains, and rain and i love you too.) The only line I don't like is about the bourbon. anyway:) is still is a precious moment brought to mind because I remember my mom playing it on an 8 track! You could probably hear it on line. JUST simple things. Also, I am going to take time to write down the simple things I like: blue canning jars, lilacs after the rain, vintage kitchen items, such as the rolling pins with red handles,candles, my daughters handmade gifts, her hugs after bathtime before bed, my son's poems, his helpful ways, coffee on the porch swing......
    Thank you for enccouragement today
    Teresa in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katy,

    Homemade gifts from our children's hearts are truly the most wonderful gifts, you are blessed! Our school books are shelved for the summer also, now what to do with the children on these rainy days!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this post. These are the moments!!
    I assume ya'll are out of school for the summer?? Congrats:)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy