Friday, May 13, 2011

"And when your back stops aching...

...and your hands begin to harden...You will find yourself a partner in the Glory of the Garden." ~Rudyard Kipling


The season has come, begun anew, for starting our vegetable garden. It is back-breaking, tedious work...but also *enjoyable* and worth every aching muscle! In the picture, above, Chris and the children are racing to the garden! ;)

Jaxson, below, is making dirt angels....which seems to be something he does annually...

The children love to get out the bikes to ride...

Hand-plowing is very difficult and time consuming....so this year, Chris and Pa rigged up a new plower-contraption and it worked very well!



We have spent a few evenings, this week, planting. We have planted 4 rows of potatoes, 4 rows of green beans, some peas, onions, peas, beets, lima beans and carrots, so far. We still have other things to plant...such as sweet corn, squash, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers etc.

Madelyn and Chris, covering up seeds Ma and I just planted...

The boys, although they do help some, end up carrying themselves off to play. They would take bikes and things, up a big hill and then ride down, swiftly. It's hard to see, as I had to zoom in, from quite a distance, to get this picture...


Pa, Chris, X and Jaxson (notice the bicycles are pink...they were gotten at auctions/yardsales and my boys don't mind at all...they have wheels and that is what is important!)...

We have been working hard in the garden, hoping for a bountiful harvest. Once things begin growing, we will be weeding, the harvesting and canning. It will be quite a busy summer....but rewarding, as well. :)

***
I had difficulty sleeping, last night. Between aching muscles and my wisdom teeth troubles, it makes for a very un-restful slumber. As I lay in bed, I listened to Chris's rhythmic breathing and gazed upon his lovely face. I smiled to myself as I silently thanked God for the blessing that is my husband. I know I have done nothing to deserve the gift I was graciously given almost 11 years ago. Although I didn't realize it then, God knew exactly who I needed. He placed him in my life just when I needed him most. I am blessed....because God is good, loving and gracious...

These are the thoughts that passed through my mind as I lay awake, in the wee hours. I wanted to remember them always...and so I pen them, here. I also want to encourage other women who are married, to love their husbands...faults and all. It's not always easy, but if you have a Godly husband, realize what a treasure they are! If you don't have a Godly husband, don't nag at him, but pray for him to become the man God made him to be! :)

***
I have an appointment, next week, to get my top and bottom right wisdom teeth out. I am doing it with just a local anesthetic...not sedation. I am praying it isn't *too* painful. Prayers are *much* appreciated! I am not petrified, but *am* a bit nervous about it.

I need to go...I hope you enjoy your weekend ahead. Thanks so much for visiting!
Time for some reading and knitting...

Warmly,
Katy


"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

8 comments:

  1. Katy, I will be praying for you! I had four taken out before we were married. You will do just fine! ~ Ruth xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katy! I wanted to tell you that I will be praying and thinking about you next week. I had my 4 wisdom teeth took out at the same time before I was married also. I didn't have any problems at all. You should do just fine.

    I also know what you mean about aching backs and legs. We planted our gardens this week also. Like you said......"Hard work....but so well worth it when you can look inside your cellar and see your accomplishments."

    Have a great weekend!

    Nicki in WV

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to get more garden planted this week too! I am not done but lots further ahead than last week.

    Hope you get relief from your wisdom teeth.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just posted about planting our garden. It was finished Thursday night. I understand about aching backs! :) I am hoping another good night of rest will take care of my aches and pains.

    Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoy reading your blog. You are truly blessed with a wonderful family. I will keep you in my prayers. I had all 4 pulled the week I was moving 300 miles away and it was tough but not unbearable. You'll do fine, and you will feel SO much better when they're out:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you Katy - - Hope you feel better soon! Please let us know how it goes. Our oldest teenagers need their wisdom teeth to come out. My husband still has his, but I was sedated when mine (all four) were taken out (when I was a teen - a long time ago). I cringe when thinking of teeth being pulled . . . Hang in there! (:

    Louisville, KY

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading your blog. You inspire me in many ways. Lots of gardening you all have been doing. Can't wait to see pics as it grows. Praying for you. Have a great weekend.:0) Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear katy,i will be praying for you!!
    what a big garden you have,that is a dream of me.i have a very,very small
    garden.
    happy gardening,
    regina

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy