Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Little Things

I have a few little things to share today. :)

If you are wondering what this year's must haves are for fall...my boys have the answer!

Jaxson and his umbrella hat, for those drizzly days that are still *OK* for outdoor play...

And both boys were running around with their snowpants on the other day...when I asked the reason, they told me it was so they could play at their *dirt pile* (with their cars) without getting wet or muddy! Pretty clever thinking! **I am sure you will notice Jaxson's unwillingness to be photographed. He was upset at the moment and not in the picture-taking-mood! ;)

I knitted a dishcloth...in hopes of getting a pile ready for Christmas gift-giving...but as I was finishing this one, a friend of mine popped in my head...so as soon as I finished, I gave it to her! ;) I started another one...we'll see if I can get a nice sized group of them done so I can gift them at Christmas! ;) If you would like the pattern, I got it from Deb's blog ~ Homespun Living.

In attempts to get my family away from processed foods, as much as possible, I made my first ever batch of homemade granola cereal. My family loves to eat cereal for breakfast. I used to buy the generic bags of it at our local bulk food store. I never thought of making my *own* cereal until I read THIS post and thought "I can do that!" and I did! It is fantastic and a huge hit! I am happy to say that we won't be going back to store-bought cereal!

We'll be making lots more, soon! :)


Since I sometimes seem to miss taking pictures of Xavier during his schooling, I decided to take one during today's work. :)

A tidy kitchen...


A few treasures I was able to get at the fall festival. (I got most of it all from the same vendor...which just happened to be there to benefit my church's women's group!)

I got the two jars on the shelf, in the very middle, with the labels...

A large, beautiful basket, vintage tablecloths, and beautiful candles...

A fantastic old window with a rustic wreath...

A cute dish towel and handmade pot holder...

And one of my favorite things was this basket...filled with tea and honey (from my uncle's bee hives). Isn't it incredibly cute?

So, today was kind of a hodge podge of things. Things around our home are keeping busy...never a dull moment! When I get a chance, I work on my knitting or soak in a bit of scripture. I am also reading (although usually only a few pages before bed) The Radical Cross by A.W. Tozer! :) I just love books and enjoy soaking them in, as much as I can!

Our house is usually a flutter of activity with occasional times of quiet rest. :) It's beautiful, really. Often times, I wish my house were bigger and that I could open my doors to more children who are in need. In need of love, hugs, kindness, patience, gentleness, and guidance. It is my prayer that God will use me...and our family...as He needs us. :)

Well, I need to get going. Computers can be quite the time-consumer and I never like to fill my time with computing when I could be doing a vast array of other, more fulfilling things! I try to use my time wisely. :)

Best wishes to you. Thank you for visiting. It's always great to hear from you!
Warmly,
Katy :)

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

9 comments:

  1. I love homemade granola and yours looks delicious!!! Do you still have your etsy shop? Your dishcloths are lovely and I LOVE the umbrella hat, LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a peanut butter granola that my family enjoys. I love your dishcloths. I hope your friend enjoys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet post!

    I love to cook from scratch for my family too! My husband loves baked oatmeal...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home is much bigger than you may think. You have opened your home to so many of us each day & allowed God to use you to encourage us. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I would love the cereal recipe..I looked at the blog you linked too, but unfortunately couldnt find the recipe...But I am now a new follower of that blog..thanks. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cereal receipe sounds intriguing. I am trying to make more foods from scratch for my family also and going to make the switch on the sugar issue also.

    Hope homeschooling is going well for you. We are truly having a blessed year with ours and love the CLE curriculum so much. My son is liking it also and is always so anxious for our schoolday to start.

    Love how your house looks each time you show pics it is just lovely. I like all your new finds from the weekend. What great treasures.

    Hugs,

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talking about processed foods- those cloth bags people buy to put their groceries in were in the news. They were taken to a lab that showed they are full of bacteria-especially the ones used for meat and dairy. The news program recommended getting different colored ones and washing them. There's a link to an article about unschooling at raggedycottageandgarden that is worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talking about processed foods- those cloth bags people buy to put their groceries in were in the news. They were taken to a lab that showed they are full of bacteria-especially the ones used for meat and dairy. The news program recommended getting different colored ones and washing them. There's a link to an article about unschooling at raggedycottageandgarden that is worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay i know its late ...well three years late but that granola was good!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy