Thursday, September 9, 2010

"Delicious autumn!..."

...My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
~ George Eliot


"In the garden, Autumn is, indeed the crowning glory of the year, bringing us the fruition of months of thought and care and toil.
And at no season, safe perhaps in Daffodil time, do we get such superb colour effects as from August to November."

~ Rose G. Kingsley


The days are getting shorter, the air is getting crisp. The leaves are changing colors, red, orange and yellow. Beautiful autumn is arriving and I am really enjoying it! Things around the home are much more enjoyable to do when it isn't unbearably hot. The gentle breeze blowing through the front screen door and open windows is wonderful! I am just starting to feel the *slowness* of the days beginning...although there is still much that has been keeping me hoppin', a full yet restful time of autumn is coming and it is my favorite time of year.

Campfires, snuggling close to your love, long walks in the chilly fall air, pumpkins and cinnamon, leaf piles and fall festivals, baking and knitting, reading some favorite books...all curled up under a beloved quilt or afghan....Mmmmm....so many reasons to love this season of the year. I know *technically* isn't hasn't begun yet...but I consider it fall on September 1st. ;)


I light lots of candles throughout the house...it creates a beautiful fragrance as well as a cozy feeling inside as we go about our days. :) **Last weekend, though, when getting ready to set the table for supper, I blew one of the candles out and an ember flicked up into my eye! It was just awful! It hurt for quite a while, that evening...but I am happy to report there was no serious damage *and* at the recommendation of my mom, I purchased a candle snuffer to prevent this from happening...again! ;)

The girls have been well...


Laundry out on the line (breezy fall days are great for getting clothes dry in a jiffy!)...

Baby Ruth (aka: my shadow, my magnet, my loyal companion)...

More candles (and pictures of my treasured loves)...

Busy children playing inside...

...and outside...


Earlier today...while at a thrift store...I found these wonderful classic books...

as well as these books for me...

all for under $7!!! Isn't that so wonderful? I need more bookshelves! ;) Some other treasures found in my travels...

Jars of spaghetti sauce, canned, dated and washed....ready to be taken to the basement and stored (although I am running out of shelf space! Eek!)...

Jaxson enjoying one of the "new" books I bought today at the thrift store...

I hope you are enjoying this *Katy's Official Beginning of Autumn*. I don't need to wait till the exact date that autumn begins, right? :) Thank you all for your encouraging comments and emails you send. I love each one. I know some are awaiting letters from me via snail mail. Although I love to write letters...I have just been too consumed with other priorities to sit down and actually *write*. I apologize and do hope to write someday soon. I appreciate your patience with me. :)

It's getting late and I really need to get snuggled into bed. Hopefully I can get a few pages of a book in before nodding off. I hope you enjoy your weekend ahead. Enjoy your family and spread love and kindness wherever you go. :)

Soaking in all autumn's beauty,
Katy

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

16 comments:

  1. I truly enjoy your blog...there are just a few that I feel are real and whose lives I share things in common and you are one. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww....We love Fall in our neck of the woods too...ENJOY!

    Autumn blessings,
    Amy <><

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love fall. It is the time of year that my husband and I met. Cooler days do make the work go easier. Love the pictures and the blog. It is so peaceful to visit. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall has arrived here in Missouri as well! It is on of my favorite times of year too ..Love the thrift store finds ( :

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read thelegacyofhome's post- Danger in the kitchen(pyrex dishes)? I don't do candles(fire hazard)? Abeka has a good Swiss Family Robinson(3rd grade and older) and Christian Liberty Press has a good The Robinson Crusoe Reader(2nd grade and older).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to Autumn, too! We have a bit longer to wait here in south Alabama though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I just love reading your blog...When reading your posts I feel as though I can smell your candles burning and feel the breeze...you have a way with words...Love Love Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait for Fall either! It's my far my FAVORITE time of year! I love the photos you post, and as I've said in times past, your home is so cozy! I also love lighting candles - it sets a great mood around the house. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Other comments captured the words I was going to say-cozy and you have a way with words. I also love your pictures. Makes me want to get more candles too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your blog. I just wanted to tell you that I check it daily. I so enjoy hearing about your life and your family. I must admit (even though I know it is wrong) I envy you. You are an inspiration to me

    Thanks again
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waiting on fall to make it's apperance here in Texas...but I can smell the cinnamon apples I'm going to bake. : )
    The first picture you have with the window open, I could feel the morning breeze blow in.
    I love all your lovely candles. I have a special lavender one that I light for the Sabbath. The one you have in the kitchen has a neat texture.
    God bless your week end. smiles, Angelia in TX

    ReplyDelete
  12. We liked Corrie Ten Boom's movie, The Hiding Place better than the book(WWII). My children liked the movie, Moby Dick with actor Gregory Peck. Another BW movie they liked was Great Expectations(British author Charles Dickens). They liked the old BW Robinson Crusoe movie- it was the closest to the book. A favorite biography was Jed Smith(Christian Liberty Press-5th grade and older).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this post ... and you got a steal with Corrie Ten Boom and Joni Eareckson let alone the classics. Read some of both those authors, you'll love the books. And I'm envious of that canning being done. I'm still working on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree! Autumn has always held a special magic all its own for me ~ I've finally moved farther north where I can experience its beauty in an even more glorious fashion. Your jars of spaghetti sauce look lovely! I've so much enjoyed watching your posts as you've put up good food for the winter months. I've been squirreling away quite a bit myself. It's hard work but very fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely pics as usual...i love coming by, especially when i am feeling low..
    have a lovely blessed Sunday..

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nice post. We are having cooler temps here (FINALLY), and I love it. I got out all my fall decorations yesterday. I agree with you - who needs a date for fall!!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy