Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Homeschooling: Organization

Home education... one of the best things we have ever done for our children. However, it was only from the prompting of our God that we started ~ so all praise and thanks are completely His. I remember when I felt the Lord tugging at my heart after Madelyn's kingergarten year at public school. She had a good year...and her teacher was a Christian (they sang a prayer before snack time!) but she was gone from a lil after 8 in the morning till almost 4:30 in the afternoon. I felt like my little one was barely with me! She also came home from school absolutely exhausted. It was such a long day for her.

I am so thankful for the women God put in my path to help guide me in this journey. When I first discussed it with Chris, he was against it. My heart sank. But God did a mighty work in him and without my *nagging* he agreed we should try it for a year. I reminded him that if homeschooling didn't work out, we could always enroll her back in the public school. Well...as our faith has matured and grown over the years, we are increasingly thankful that we have chosen to home educate. :)

Now, I am teaching Madelyn...who is in third grade and Xavier...who is in first. Jaxson we work with, as well, but not with any set curriculum. I have found that, for *me*, organization is very important. If I don't feel organized with something, I get anxious and overwhelmed by it.

I have a teacher's planner book. This is where I write (in pencil) what we will do each day. I only plan a day or two in advance...and the curriculum is set up that it goes in order so well...another great feature to the Christian Light Education curriculum that I love!


In addition to that planner, I have a binder for each of my children where I do a simple journal about what he or she accomplished in each subject for the day.

So, hopefully, at the end of the year, I will have a nice and organized schoolyear. I will be able to turn in, for evaluation, the planner, the journal binders, and examples of work from their workbooks! :)

My *teacher's manual* cupboard. The top consists of all Xavier's teacher's manuals and Madelyn's are on the bottom shelf. (You can also see my planning book, as well).


I school one at a time...so they have my complete attention and help. If they have some individual work to do or are taking a test, I will hang out laundry, knit, read or work on more homeschool plans for the week.

While I school with one child...the other two will color or play...

Educating your children at home is time consuming and not always *easy*...but it is such a blessing. No one knows your children like *you* do. :) Plus...we get our "book" work done...and then that leaves plenty of time for running, biking and playing outside, coloring, drawing, and crafting inside!

I am not completely anti-public school. For us, this was the path we feel God wanted us to take...so we feel it is the best choice for our family. You will have to make your own decision! :)
Here are some fun statistics I found HERE:

***Children who are homeschooled "... may be more socially mature and have better leadership skills than other children ..." - Richard G. Medlin, Ph.D. (NHERI)

***The Galloway-Sutton Study, which examines five success indicators, showed home schooled children (with the exception of the psychomotor) excelling above other students in the academic, cognitive, spiritual and affective-social categories. (Answers)

***On average, homeschool students, grades 1–4, perform one grade level above their public and private school counterparts. The achievement gap grows in grade 5; by 8th grade the average home school student performs four grades higher than the national average. (SADC)

***Students who have been home schooled their entire academic lives have the highest scholastic achievement. The difference is more pronounced during the higher grades; students who home school throughout high school continue to flourish while in that environment. (SADC)

Here is a wonderful list of homeschooling pros that can be found HERE if you are interested! :)

I need to get going....quickly, though, you may enjoy checking out this post by my sister. Ultrasound pictures are always such a beautiful thing to see, don't you think? :)

I hope you are enjoying your week!
Thank you for visiting!

Cheerfully,
Katy :)


The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

12 comments:

  1. This is my 14th year of home schooling. It is hard work...LOL! Keep up the good work:-) I have always used the teachers planners too--keeps me accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homeschooling is quite an adventure, isn't it? We don't have evaluatuions here in TN. I'm sure I would be a little more organized if we did!

    Zach is in 7th grade this year and boy its getting a little more difficult. I thank God for the many homeschooling families and support in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless you, that is so great that you homschool your children. My husband and I prayed about it and our oldest son is in his first year of College and our youngest is in 10th grade and we are on top of the teachers and his education, and I fought for the bully bill that was passed,and I am so proud that I did that. The Lord hepled me through it because there were times I wanted to give up, but I couldn't and one reason was because I showed our sons you DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!

    It looks and like you are doing a GREAT job homeschooling your children!

    Thanks for sharing it with us!
    God Bless.
    Blessings,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's like I told someone the other day: I feel like it would be wrong for ME not to homeschool, but I can't say what others should do, yk? (even tho I have been known to have very passionate homeschooling posts on my blog and try to convince my sister in law to homeschool..ha) Love the organization...I do a very similar set up with my notebook. We are bk in school as of Tues. Hope to get a post up really soon about our school days.
    PS. Do you have facebook? Would love to add ya as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used Christian Light when my kids were younger and it is still probably my favorite complete curriculum. I'm starting my 16th year, and what a blessing it has been to our family. Not easy, but such a blessing.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home schooling is as much a part of who we are as breathing is. I can't imagine not doing either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katy, I'm so glad that it worked out so that you could homeschool your children. I didn't get to do that and now my granddaughter is attending public school. I could have taught her, since I became a teacher afterall, but it was my daughter's decision to send her to public school. She really needed other kids to play and socilize with. So far, she loves school and has a wonderful teacher. That's a blessing too!

    I also wanted to thank you for your prayers & sweet comments on my blog yesterday.

    Have a gret day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Katy,
    Oh boy I envy your organization skills!!If its not planned out for me I couldnt do it, thats why we use Abeka Academy. How do you teach them individually? Im thinking of doing that this year as they need more attention the harder classes get, but I think we won't be finished until dark LOL!! You truly do inspire me and make me realize all things are possible with HIM...keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katy I wish I had more time to express the blessing and hidden treasures you have shared with me today but I will just say thank you for now. hugs, Angelia in TX

    ReplyDelete
  10. God's blessings to you as you follow Gods will for the life of yhour family. Have a joyous and blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've working our 16th year of homeschooling now and although we've tweaked things here and there along the way, and it's not always easy, I wouldn't trade it for a minute! It's been a true blessing just to have that time with my kids! We don't have evaluations either, although I'm sure it does help keep you accountable....I should keep up more with what we actually accomplish because I'm sure it would make me feel better SEEING what we actually did! :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are in our 7th year of homeschooling here.

    You have very pretty handwriting, I might add! :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy