Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Sweetness Of Being a Child......

One of the virtues of being very young is that you don't let the facts get in the way of your imagination.
~Sam Levenson

A child's world is fresh and new and beautiful, full of wonder and excitement. It is our misfortune that for most of us that clear-eyed vision, that true instinct for what is beautiful and awe-inspiring, is dimmed and even lost before we reach adulthood. ~Rachel Carson

The end of childhood is when things cease to astonish us. When the world seems familiar, when one has got used to existence, one has become an adult.
~Eugene Ionesco

My children make me smile. Sure...we have our moments of frustrations, disciplines and upset....but they truly warm my heart. I love when Madelyn (and sometimes the boys) see me put on my apron to clean or cook...and next thing I know she is asking me to tie hers on as well! She loves to help me with housework. I used to be too particular and just did it myself...then I realized what a time of training and blessing I was taking away by doing that.

She helped me fold the clothes yesterday too. Normally, I am quite particular about how the clothes are folded...then I realized that she really tries. It is so sweet. Who cares if it isn't perfect? Homemaking isn't about perfection...it's about making a home with the people you love. The way children learn to be responsible and hard working is by letting them experience things at home. Of course, play time is vital! But sharing chores together...while expressing my deep appreciation and gratitude to her...is vital as well.

This is their little cupboard in the kitchen. They love to "cook" while I am! Isn't it cute? (They like to use unpopped popcorn to mix in their bowls and such...although oh goodness..what a mess it can be as soon as those lil things start falling to the floor!) The cupboard was mine as a child...and my grandmother's before me as well! :)

As you can see below...Jaxson's head is doing much better! :) He was just preparing to play me a tune on his xylophone!


For all you gals who leave me comments and emails telling me how sweet and behaved my children are....I thank you. And they are wonderful kids...but here is what was happening this Wed. evening.....

Yes...the boys were running. And not just to get a picture taken. They were running back and forth through the house. Oh goodness....it was wild. They absolutely can't wait till it is spring and they can run and ride their bikes outside!!! :)
See behind Jaxson...that blanket on the floor? That is his "blankie". He walks around with it all day. He never used to do this. It has been something he has just "adopted" in the past few months...since he turned 3 in December. I am not sure why...but I have to admit...it is cute and it keeps him my lil baby for a bit longer! ;) So...I don't complain! :)

And finally....(It is almost 10pm...I should be in bed...I should have posted this in the AM....lol)...I am so excited. I got my first bottle of essential oils. It is cinnamon. YIPPEE! :) I am going to get a different kind for my cleaning stuff....but this will be for bathing the house in the warm cinnamon scent. I will drop a couple drops in my forced air vents and let them do all the work!!! YUM! :)
Do you use essential oils? What are your favorite scents to use? :)




15 comments:

  1. They are so fun!

    Putting cinnamon in your air duct is such a great idea! I love peppermint... I just used it to make deodorant and shaving cream. When you use cocoa butter too, it turns out chocolate-minty smelling - YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right, Katy. I learned that same lesson. I was that way about the way the folded clothes were put up and I soon learned to be happy with them crooked or sideways.

    Your kids are so cute! And I love that little cupboard. What a treasure it is!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy
    Thankyou for viiting my blog I love getting up in the morning and reading my comments, you have also brought something to attention.. after pointing out were my chicken graphic came from I had a look at the website and realised there were no free ones, I found this one somewhere else while hunting around for random free pics for my blog, I have removed it as I feel I shouldnt be using it and I no its not acceptable to use without purchase or permission, I am thinking about buying some of the graphics though as they are soooo lovely!!...thankyou for bringing this to my attention. blessings Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use lavender like there is no tomorrow, I use it to clean, and adding to my bath relaxes me and fills the house with a calmness. Love lavender!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Letting go of perfection is hard. I am trying hard to do that. Megan is only 2 1/2 and folds washclothes and socks only the way a two year old can. I am learning that it is not the way the items are folded, but that she is trying and taking an interest in what I am doing. When you think about it, it is so sweet that they want to be like us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've become a less strict about the way the house is cleaned. Kate likes putting the clothes on hangers. Towels though need to be folded a certain way. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm working on letting the housework go - as Jessie also likes to help clean. I love patchoulie and sweet orange essential oil for in our laundry soap - makes everything smell all woodsy-citrusy. And I love the lemon one in my all purpose spray.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to find out more about essential oils. I'm also intrigued about making my own cleaning products and cosmetics. The cinammon sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss those days of noisy kids running throught the house.. enjoy it while you can, they grow up so fast.
    I don't use any scented oils but if I did my favorite would be cinnamon or fruit ones such as lemon and orange.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww... they are so sweet to want to help you out!
    Love Jaxson's bandaid- it makes him look "all boy"! LOL
    I've never tried essential oils... you have to let us know how your experiment works out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Katy!What a great idea about the essential oil!It wouldn`t hurt the furnace or anything to put the oil in there?
    We have the same kind of heat vents,and I must say,with three active kids they are a pain to keep clean!!
    I`ve been thinking about getting some oils for cleaning and medicinal purposes.Okay,gotta go!!Loe and blessings,Toni

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love cinnamon!

    I've had to learn to just let the kids help out to the best of their ability. It's that willing spirit that counts! (Although, sometimes, I do it my way behind them when they aren't looking!)

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  13. All that cookery stuff is so cute!

    No, I don't use essential oils. I would like to, but I live with my parents and my mum has a lot of allergies, and suffers from headaches caused by that kind of thing. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter is 2.5 YO and love to be the big helper. Nice to read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute pictures!! My children have their own mops and brooms{real ones} that are just their size. I will be listing them in my etsy shop when I finally open it.
    I love lavendar oil!!
    Elise
    Oh, love the little cupboard, too!!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy