Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Homemade Noodles

Oh how I love homemade noodles!!!! YUM! I made some for supper last night and they were soooo good...(they were the first things eaten off the kids' plates!!).

Some have asked for the recipe. I got it out of my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook....but it is also online....HERE. And I included it below:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 egg yolks, beaten
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon cooking oil or olive oil

1. In a large bowl stir together 1-3/4 cups of the flour and the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In a small bowl stir together egg yolks, whole egg, water, and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; mix well. (In the top picture...I used a whisk to mix...bad idea. as the stuff turned into dough...it got stuck in and through the whisk! I will be using a spoon next time!)

2. Sprinkle a kneading surface with the remaining 1/4 cup flour. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Cover and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.

3. Divide dough into four equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 12x9-inch rectangle (about 1/16 inch thick). (If using a pasta machine, pass each portion of dough through machine according to manufacturer's directions until dough is 1/16 inch thick.) Let stand, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Lightly dust dough with flour. Loosely roll dough into a spiral; cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Shake the strands to separate; cut into 2- to 3-inch lengths.

4. To serve immediately, cook for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until tender but still firm, allowing 1 to 2 more minutes for dried or frozen noodles. Drain.

5. To store cut noodles, spread them on a wire cooling rack. Let noodles dry about 1 hour or until completely dry. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Or dry the noodles for at least 1 hour and place in a freezer bag or freezer container; freeze for up to 8 months.



I probably could have made them a bit skinnier...but we like big fat noodles! :) If you haven't ever made noodles from scratch...I encourage you to! They take a bit of prep time...but they taste great and making anything from scratch is so rewarding...don't you think?

And in my crock pot....a beef roast was slowly cooking away! YUM! When it was time for dinner....the meat just was so tender and good and just fell off it when you touched it! AND...the best part is that I made enough and there are leftovers!!! Wooooohooooo!

Anyhooo....keep a lookout...I will be having a giveaway soon for a couple dishcloths that I have knitted! :)
And...I know....people probably don't want to hear politics on a homemaking mama's blog....but if you have been following about this stimulus bill stuff....I encourage you to write or call your Congressman and plead for it not to go through. They slipped a universal healthcare thing in there...it has nothing to do with stimulus (which I don't agree with anyway). Remember...the more government controls...the less freedom we have. You can read about it HERE if you want!

Wishing you all a pleasant Wednesday!!!! :)


13 comments:

  1. Whoaaa yummy! :)

    These pictures remind me of my grandma in italy.. whenever we were there, I got to help her making all kinds of pasta.. noodles, ravioli, anything.... They always tasted a million times better than the storebought ones! :)

    Greetings from the netherlands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom still makes homeade noodles for the holidays. I have tried a couple times but they never came out right. I guess I need to practice some more. These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't even get me started on the stimulus package...

    Your noodles turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the recipe! I've been wanting to try making these - now I can. Guess I'll be finding something for dinner tonight that goes with noodles!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be trying those noodles soon!

    I'm right there with you about the state of our country right now.
    I'm so thankful that God is in control because these people have lost their minds!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great. Makes me hungry. :)

    I am worried about the stimulus packages also. I need a job and insurance for my family but I want to have control over that.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the heads up.. I didn't know there was a health care deal stuck in the middle of that.
    I've made my own noodles for years and yes, they do taste a lot better then the dry store bought kind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man those noodles look good. I will SO make them..you know I will ;)

    And I don't mind reading your political views we actually agree on alot of issues. I seriously cried for a few days after McCain lost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom used to make homemade noodles, boy that brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW- home made noodles? Girl- you are the STUFF! LOL
    I'll bet they were wonderful.... did you save any for me?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Katy,thoes noodles look sooo good! I haven`t made homemade noodles in years.Maybe I`ll try your recipe today.If I do I`ll be sure to post pictures!!I hope you have a wonderful day!! Love and blessings,Toni

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't had homemade noodles in years! I had all but forgotten about them. Thank you for reminding me and for the recipe! I will have to make some very soon!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy