Thursday, August 23, 2012

Bedroom Organization, Laundry Tips and More!


The sun is shining and I am enjoying a nice, peaceful time of rest. It has been a busy day and what I really desire is a nice long nap. We have bible study tonight, though, so there's no time to sleep...so I will just spend some time relaxing and writing a little post about the day's events.

We had to have Polly put down last night by the mobile vet. I cried and cried...but it was definitely for the best (thank you all, so much, for your kind and comforting comments and emails...I truly appreciate them!). This experience has taught me a lot. It has shown me signs to be watchful for with Penny and Pearl.

Because it took me a while to fall asleep last night (and I knew that today would be an off day from spinning), I slept in past my normal 4 am and got up around 5. I started some laundry and checked email...and just began the day slowly. After Chris and the children woke and the day *officially* started, the busyness began.

I hung laundry out on the line, balanced the checkbook and did some other chores while the children did theirs. Once finished...we began to get ready to go into town for a bit. Just as we were getting ready to leave, Pa (Chris's dad) called to ask if Madelyn could come help them at the Meat Market for a bit (which is just down the road, a bit, from us). She happily agreed and we all piled into the van. After stopping to drop Madelyn off, she planted a kiss on my cheek and in she went, disappearing into the shop. The boys and I headed into town, ran some errands and did some grocery shopping.

After returning home and getting the grocery items put away neatly, we had some lunch (which made each of our stomachs quite happy, as they were all grumbling by then!). Then it was time to tackle the boys' rooms. We went through things....setting aside some toys for Eloise and also for a donation pile. We threw things away and organized all that was left over. The boys seemed to take joy in the clean-up...especially Jaxson. He liked everything having it's own place. The labels really help too. The photo at the top of this post (as well as the next two) are from our afternoon spent organizing...


A bin for extra shoes slid perfectly under the bed!


I made laundry soap, earlier this morning, as we were starting to run out (and can you imagine the conundrum I would be in if I get back from spinning tomorrow morning and have no laundry soap to wash all my workout clothes in!? Ick!). I have a whole post on how to make your own laundry soap HERE.

Here is my "recipe" for homemade laundry soap (that I keep in my Homemaking Binder)...




It is really cheap and easy to make! It's such a money-saver! I completely recommend it to anyone who is trying to save money and have clean clothes! ;)

A fun little laundry tip I have (maybe this is something you already do...but this is the first time I tried it!) is to wash your plastic shower liner with a load of towels when it starts getting icky! I used to spray it with cleaners and try to scrub it down. I just had a terrible time with it (and not even get it as clean as I wanted to). Most often, I would get frustrated and just throw it away and buy another one. That is not environmentally or economically smart. So...I was washing the shower curtain today and decided to throw the liner in with it and some other towels. It came out sparkling clean! I am quite overjoyed at the idea of *no more scrubbing*! I still have to scrub our big claw foot tub though....too bad that can't go into the washing machine too! ;)


Just a few last photos of home to share. :)




I hope your week is going well. Tomorrow is my 31st birthday. Goodness, it feels like I just celebrated the big 3-0 not long ago (but here it's been a whole *year* already!). My sister and Eloise are coming to town, so I look forward to spending the day with them and my family. In the evening, we are going to friends' house as they are celebrating their son's birthday tomorrow. Even though it isn't a party for me, it will be fun to spend time with some wonderful Christian friends! :) So, until next time (Lord willing), thanks for visiting!

Sending warm smiles across the miles...

Katy

16 comments:

  1. So sorry about your Polly. We had to put our 13 year old dog down yesterday also, such a hard thing to deal with. I always enjoy your blog of everyday life. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam!

      I am so sorry for your loss. Dogs are close companions and so hard to part with! **hugs**

      Delete
  2. Great organization! I need to do more here but with work it's just not possible right now. Sorry to hear about Polly. Oh and keep your eyes open because 41 will fly right up on you if your not careful it did me:) blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, You deserve a wonderful birthday... sooo....HAPPY BIRTHDAY and may your next year be WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy early birthday to you! A tip for your claw bathtub--I mixed half blue dawn dish soap & vinegar to a cheap spray bottle, mixed it up, and sprayed it on our tub and let it sit for an hour. When I ran water down it after that hour it was like a brand new tub! I love reading about your days! Thanks for having an inspiring blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy,
    So sorry about little Miss Polly, one thing we know she is happy again, hugs to you and your family....
    Love reading your blog, happy early birthday and congrats on the weight loss and your dedication to this journey...
    Have a Happy Birthday celbrating with your family and friends.
    ~Rhonda~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 31st birthday, Katy! You're still a young chick. :)

    I'm really sorry about Polly.

    I'm enjoying watching a few of the organizational videos you recommended here and there when I have time. Thanks for recommending them.

    Hope you have a great time this evening!

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have a very blessed day!

    So sad to hear about Polly. {{{Hugs}}}

    Great organization and thanks for the laundry soap recipe!

    Hugs & Prayers,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a wonderful birthday! Your blog has been such a blessing to me!

    All the best to you and your sweet family!

    In Christ,

    Kristin from NC

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry about Polly xx

    Your organising is going so well, I need to maybe look at my childrens rooms!!!!

    Happy Birthday, I hope you have a wonderful day.
    Love to all
    Linda O x

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Katy!

    I know this has been a hard week for you, and I am sorry for your loss.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting organized must be in the air, I've been hard at it too! It looks like spring cleaning around my house. Love your tips you've shared! Happy birthday! I pray you're blessed beyond measure! Have a great weekend! Oh and did you make to your birthday goal?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Katy,

    You have my deepest sympathy on your loss.

    ...
    The time you are spending on your organization is paying off-your home looks very tidy.

    Seinding good wishes for a new start to the school year:-)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are sooo organized, everything looks wonderful!

    I have tried that recipe for homemade laundry detergent a few different times in the last 2 or 3 years and each time I start using it, our laundry starts smelling musty...do you ever have that problem??? I also tried a powdered homemade detergent from theprudenthomemaker.com but we had the same musty smell.....

    Sorry for your loss this week!! Have a blessed weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to you! I hope you have a fabulous birthday and I am very sorry to hear about Polly. Broke my heart to hear of her and see how sad she looked.

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy