Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Walk softly, speak tenderly...

...and pray fervently.
~Amish Proverb

The days have been mixed with the pleasant, joyful things of life...but also the not-so-joyful things too. The positive thing about the times of discomfort and sadness is that it is through those times we can truly grow the most in our faith. Just another way the Potter, Who holds His children in His hands, molds us and matures us. 

This past Friday, I had mentioned HERE that Polly was acting quite out of sorts. We wormed her, thinking maybe that may be the issue and after a day or two...although not completely back to herself, she *was* eating and walking around more. This encouraged me greatly...I figured within the week she would be back to her old, playful self...off jumping around with her sister, Pearl. 

Unfortunately, she took a turn for the worse. My mama-heart sunk. The children went out Monday morning to feed the goats and came in with terrible news, Polly was standing, staring off into space, almost falling over. I went out to check on her and she was walking around, drunk-like...falling into things and just completely strange. I immediately called my friend (who we bought the goats from and who is very knowledgeable in the goat-department). Luckily, I caught her before she went to work. She tried to help me guess a few different things it could be and what possible remedies there were. 

To make a long story short...nothing I bought and gave to her worked. She couldn't stand any longer, so I laid her down and propped her up on an old, unused helmet (as it isn't good for goats to lay on their sides because fluid can gather in their lungs). We brought her out into the fresh air and sat with her and using a baby animal bottle, squirted water and electrolytes into her which she swallowed. I didn't want her to dehydrate. 


I called the mobile vet but he had emergencies to go on. He mentioned something about brain damage and I am guessing she has this. She cranks her neck back and can't lift her own head. The one eye (that you can see in the photo) seems to have gone blind and all she does is lay. We try to keep her hydrated...hoping she will recover...but I am coming to terms with the fact that she needs to be put to sleep.


I am told by anyone who has goats (and the vet) that goats can get sick all of a sudden and when it happens, it happens *fast*. It could have been from something in the air or something in grass she ate. It's completely unknown. I am so bummed and wish there was more I could do...but as she lays in her pen, propped up on hay, she just seems miserable. Other than giving her water occasionally, there is nothing else I can really do for her. I think she will be grateful to be put to sleep...I just dread it, completely. I am going to call the vet soon and see if he can come by.


Penny and Pearl are still doing well though...which is a blessing. I just feel so bummed about Polly.


The children kept me company while I sat outside with her...






Ruthie and Jack-Jack were there too...



In other news, so as not to dwell on the depressing inevitable, the chickens are laying quite nicely for us, keeping us well supplied with nourishing eggs, daily...



Although blurry, I wanted to show a photo of the skirt we found for Madelyn when we went to Goodwill over the weekend...


The pleasant times that have been had 'round here are numerous as well. Madelyn and Jaxson (Xavier was spending time with his Grammie for the day) had fun painting...


...and playing a game with Daddy...


Xavier and Madelyn loved watching the popcorn come flying out of the air-popper this morning...


In my organizing journey...here is my new mail center I set up (to deal with all those *paper* piles...you can see how I set up my filing system HERE)...


Here is a closer look to see how I have divided up each file...



It is a wonderful blessing, truly. I love everything in it's place and now, important papers have a place to go...in the file cabinet or the mail center!

The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it. 
~Amish Proverb

And before I go...I must share the kindness of a friend of mine. Joann, from way out west, always remembers my family and me. She sends cards often, and thoughtful gifts for birthdays and such. Today, after arriving home from bible study, there was a box on the back steps. Inside, I found yarn (which Madelyn saw and tried to take!), mechanical pencils (my favorite), a journal and other fun goodies! My birthday is in a couple of days and I was so surprised to receive this wonderful package in the mail! Thank you, Joann. Your thoughtful generosity is very much appreciated!

Thank you, to each of you, for stopping by today. I know I shared a bazillion different things all in one post (short and sweet is probably best...but these are memories that I will make into blog books too...so it is what it is. It isn't always convenient for me to make short posts separately!). :o) I hope your week is going well.

Warmly,
Katy


19 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your Polly. It hurts us so when our animals suffer and our hands are tied to help them.I did enjoy the rest of your post though.I will wish you a Happy Birthday this time around...how nice that you received a gift from a far away friend....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy~ Oh how my heart goes out to you and your family about Polly. Don't you wish sometimes that our animals could talk to us and let us know what is wrong with them. I will keep you all in my prayers as always :) I replied to your email before I read this blog post. That is why there was no mention of your beloved goat. Loved this post as usual.
    Blessings,Joann

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your goat, my heart aches for you as I know how it hurts when a farm friend is sick. What fun to play games !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about Polly - that is so hard.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your Polly...it sounds like you are making these days for her as comfortable and peaceful as possible. We used to have goats and we had read that there are so many different things that goats can get sick with. So sad, when it's a beloved pet. I enjoyed reading your Amish proverbs :) just this morning we visited a local Amish community....ahhhhhhhh...I get there and don't want to come back home :). I hope you have a wonderful rest of your week!!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Maddy's skirt!

    Poor Polly... I'm so sorry she has to be put down... I know ALL about it. It is better that she isn't suffering though. :(

    See you Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. M's skirt is so pretty. I don't have much luck finding clothes there for Megan. :(

    I smiled about the air popcorn. The kids run for the kitchen when they hear me plug it in. Fun!

    I am sorry about Polly... it is never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it breaks my heart to see that poor sick goat, how sad, many blessings for her and your family.....
    ~Rhonda~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some years ago we got twin goats to give the kids for their upcoming birthdays. They really loved the goats right off. A fed weeks later one became sick like. The vet really gave us no hope. Shortly it was gone. Soon the other was the same. Off to a different vet. They had a genetic problem. Shortly it was gone to. Made comfey with a shot of pain meds. So hard on my kids to lose them both. My son who recently passed always wanted another. I regret not getting another for him. I miss my son so much. Sorry to hear this of your Polly. I know how much your family loves her. Losing is so painful. Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy, you have such a kind, loving "Mommy spirit" even for little Polly. It's so hard to lose someone you love, especially when they are part of your family. My heart goes out to you.

    I'm sure Madelyn loves her new skirt ~ a pretty skirt for a pretty girl!

    And I love your organizing tips. I really try to be organized myself in most things and I think it helps me to feel calm when I know where everything is.

    Take care and I hope little Polly is in a much better place very, very soon. Hugs to you all.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about Polly, she looks such a sweet little thing.
    Love your organiser, great to have everything in one place, then hopefully!! nothing gets missed!!
    Love to all
    Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So Sorry to hear about Polly; we had one of chicken die yesterday and although I really don't care for them, I will still miss her and pray that she went peacefully.

    Looks like your "bills to pay" folder is a bit empty; Shelby shall help you fill it with her bills also! HE HE

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry about Polly, Katy!

    Love Madelyn's skirt!

    And I know how exciting it is to get goodies in the mail!

    Love your organizing tips too!

    Have a great day!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry that your Polly got so sick. It is so hard seeing an animal suffer.
    Madelyn's skirt is very cute, and she is very pretty. There are some treasures at Goodwill. You just have to take the time to look.
    nancyr

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry about Polly. I have learned from years dealing with goats that they will break your heart. I have also learned that when a goat decides it is time to go there isn't much you can do about it. I do love to read of your family, it is such a sweet God loving family. I love Goodwill. I have learned that I can dress me and mine very nicely from there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there.
    I'm sorry about your sweet Polly. She was adorable!

    My Aunt (Mrs. Rabe) sent me over to your blog when she heard we lost one of our goats.
    It was so sad to see her so sick and that helpless feeling of not being able to do more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thats very sad news...I know how much you enjoy your goats.
    Precious pictures you have shared!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whew here did you find the hanging red file organizing center?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie! You can find it on Amazon! Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1936024322?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1936024322&linkCode=xm2&tag=thecoublo09-20

      Delete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy