Tuesday, August 14, 2012

::Organizing ~ Home & School::


I have been organizing in my home the past few days...trying to get things ordered before we start our homeschool year at the end of the month. For me, being organized helps me to feel less frazzled as a wife, mother, homemaker and teacher.

I started my organization in the kitchen. The silverware drawer had gotten a bit out-of-hand over time. I threw away unnecessary things and organized the rest...


In another drawer I have medicine dispensers (in the box at the bottom right), measuring spoons and some other often-used kitchen items...


The "junk" drawer even got a bit of a make-over...


Lined-dried curtains are wonderful to hang in a clean, organized room...


My cleaning cupboard...


Ruthie just watched me scurrying around all day while she relaxed...


In the schoolroom, I have a cupboard with the children's books and workbooks they will need for the first few weeks of school. I also have the teacher books separated per child and on their own shelves...


Boxes and bins full of school supplies...


We joined a homeschool co-op this year. It meets twice a month. I prepared a master homeschool binder for me to use at home and then take with me to the co-op. It zippers around so things won't fall out during the transfer. (The binder you see to the left is my home management binder)...


When you first open the binder I have some pencils and a pen (I prefer mechanical pencils when I write...my children break the lead too often though if they use them so they use regular wooden pencils). I also have a paper with guidelines from our school district for homeschoolers...


Next, I have copies of our state's home education law in page protectors...


I have different parts of that law highlighted so I can easily see important things I need to remember...


Next, I have copies of the children's homeschooling objectives for the upcoming year (these are copies of the ones I handed into the school district)...


Then I have pockets labeled for certain things (you can find similar pocket dividers HERE). One pocket keeps our health and dental records. The next is for any homeschool co-op important papers. Then I have a tab for each child for anything I need to keep track of concerning each of them through the year (in the back of the binder I have a notepad for anything I need to write down)...


After our school year (and homeschool co-op days) officially begin, some things may change. I may need to add more tabs or folders...I will see as time goes on. I am feeling *ready* for the year now though! :) I would love to hear different ways *you* may be getting more organized! :)

Just before I go...I wanted to share that as of Monday morning (when I went to weigh-in before spin class) I am now down 27 lbs! I am praising God for His goodness and strength as I know that I would fail if I was doing this on my own! Since I have flown by my original starting goal of losing 25 lbs by my birthday (which is at the end of August) I am changing it to trying to lose 31 lbs by my 31st birthday! ;) We'll see how it goes...either way....fast or slow...I am getting healthy and it feels *great*! Thanks so much for all the encouragement you each have given me through comments, email and in person!

I hope you are enjoying your week and thanks so much for coming by!

Warmly,
Katy

13 comments:

  1. First a great big congratulations on your weight loss! You are really doing great. :-)

    For us, we are very blessed that our district has a great relationship with our homeschool organization so I don't need much in the way of paperwork. I don't even have a binder that I use for anything other than to stash papers that I will place into the portfolios at the end of the year. A good support group is such a wonderful thing and I am so glad that you were able to get into one.

    I started my journey to improved health a little after you did and I don't weigh in but I did something the other day that I have been physically unable to do since 2008 - I ran down the stairs!! I used to have to lean up against the wall or something to hold myself up but I don't need to most days at all and then to be able to do that even without even thinking about it? I am filled with thankfulness and joy.

    Keep up the good work my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such congratulations on the weight loss. You are doing so well! I am 36 years old and down 28.4 lbs, but it took a while longer as exercise is not my favorite. I must say though, seeing the progress you have made incorporating exercise is motivating me to add it back into the mix. Thanks for the inspiration! stacey66@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very encouraging post on getting things ready and in order before school. I also started a Home school Binder this year. Congrats on loss.

    By the way will your homemaking routines stay the same or change when school starts? Do you have a post on fitting homemaking, shopping, and such in you day with schooling?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy,

    Congratulations on 27 lbs! That's great! :)

    In our state, we don't have alot of paperwork with homeschooling; only standardized testing in grades 3-9. So I'm not nearly as organized as you in that aspect, but we are getting ready to start school (ease slowly into it) next Monday so I'm gearing that way this week. We're ready to be back in that routine though!

    Have a great day!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on 27lbs down! I am back on the wagon and will try to loose again. I am praying for Gods guidance and strength ! You have given me the inspiration to try to get healthy again. Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have enrolled my youngest in a charter school a few days ago. Jumping into this not knowing much. I will learn as we go. I to will be making ready a learning area. Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katy! Doing a few of the same things here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. way to go on the weight loss. you are inspiring me to get up and do something about my weight problem. thanks for being willing to share. you kitchen is just way too cute. love how you have things decorated.
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww... organizing is a beautiful thing! I hope to tackle some of that around here soon.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Katy,
    Congratulations on your weight loss!!
    Can you tell me what the homeschooling co-op does?

    Thanks,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your weight loss, you are doing amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love seeing how other homeschoolers organize - it inspires me to get started organizing myself!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're doing great Katy! I'm sure that you're really feeling differently now~ not just from the weight loss, but also from getting regular exercise. That's the hardest part for me. :-)
    I hope you can make your goal, but even if you don't, you've got a lot to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy