Sunday, August 5, 2012

Some Photos and Healthy Eating Questions Answered

Below are some photos of the boys...we went swimming with some family at the neighbor's house the other day (Madelyn was helping my mom, at her house, to get corn ready for canning. The boys and I did this stuff at our house which I will post about later this week). 



Handstands...




A little fun on the trampoline...





Penny, Pearl and Polly...finishing up an evening of grazing (it's almost time for bed)...


Helping daddy unload wood from the truck...


I have had many questions on how I have been eating in a healthy way. I thought it would be a time-saver for me to answer the questions in a post rather than individually!

Based on my height, weight and age, how much I exercise and the speed I desire to lose weight at...myfitnesspal.com created a profile for me (for free). It told me how many calories (1330) I could eat per day (as well as fat, protein and carbs) and still get to my goal. I get more calories per day depending on how much I exercise. Spinning burns a great number of calories...so on the days I spin, I have a more lee-way on how much I can eat. I spin three times per week for 45 min to an hour each time (it depends on how long the instructor teaches for). I earn between 400-700 or so calories on those days!

Some examples of things that I eat are:

* An egg and turkey bacon (and sometimes plain toast with light bread)
* A sandwich (using light bread, thinly sliced lunch meat such as turkey breast and a teaspoon or two of light mayo)
* A salad (measuring any cheese, dressing and croutons you use) with all the veggies you want (unfortunately, I don't like onions, tomatoes, peppers or cucumbers....my salads would be considered pretty drab by most!)
* I will weigh out meat that I have made for supper (such as a baked ham or pot roast) and have between 2-4 ounces of it with my supper. I will have broccoli, green beans, or corn and if I am in the mood for potatoes I will slice one up into thin slivers and bake it with cooking spray, a little salt and pepper for a bit and have some healthy *fries*.
* Do you like pizza? You can have it in a low-fat/low-calorie way! I use a couple pieces of low calorie bread and spread 1/4 cup of sauce between the pieces and sprinkle a serving of low fat mozzarella cheese on top. I bake until the cheese is melted and then it is a perfect substitute for the craving!
* What about ice cream? That's a treat, isn't it? You can buy normal cones and then, if you get Breyer's *no sugar added* Vanilla (80 calories per half cup serving) ~ you can have an ice cream cone with half cup of vanilla icecream for 110 calories or so! It tastes great and it's *such* a treat!

*** Basically, you can eat *whatever* you want...but you have to work those calories (plus fat/protein/carbs) into your day. So if you choose to have a 500 calorie piece of pizza...you will have to adjust your eating for the day and eat less (or run the risk of gaining weight). I would have to spin for about 50 minutes to burn off the calories from that *one* piece of pizza! To me, that piece of pizza may be worth it on some days...but usually, it isn't.

*** If you feel you can stay on track and be accountable to yourself...if you don't want to be as strict and accurate as I try to be...just watch your portions. You will save so many calories if you just cut back the amount you eat...even if you continue to eat the things you like. I have to say though...documenting *everything* that goes in your mouth is so important (whether you do it on the computer or in a notebook with a pen). Is it a nuisance? Honestly, yes...at first. But once it becomes something you do constantly, it just becomes part of your day. It truly helps you see what you eat and how much of it!

*** Going to a picnic/potluck? I pack my own food. It's honestly easier that way. You can control how much you eat and what you eat without just having to choose between calorie-laden things at the picnic. It's what works for me. :)

Have I answered your questions well? I hope I have! If you have any more questions that I can be of some help with please ask them in the comment section and I will answer in the comment section as well...so others can scroll down and see them too (in case they have the same question). :)

Warmly,
Katy

9 comments:

  1. Yes this answers all my questions! Have you found a recipe yet to make your own low calorie bread ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! :)

      No, I haven't found a good low-cal bread recipe yet...but if I do,I will be sure to share it! :)

      Delete
    2. I wonder if it would be possible to look at the ingredients on the package of the low cal bread you buy and then experiment to see if you can put it together?

      Delete
  2. God Bless You, and Thank You for your Blog!!! I came across your blog by accident (which now I really don't think it was by accident, God works in many different ways)! I've been reading through it...and it has completely changed my life!! It has brought me, and my whole Family back to God and Church!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you :)
    God Bless,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God! It blesses me to know He uses me. Thank you for sharing that with me. I pray you continue to follow Him!!

      Warmly,
      Katy :)

      Delete
  3. Katy another way to satisfy a pizza craving is using a low cal tortilla put a little sauce, cheese and I cook up some peppers and onions and put fat free cheddar cheese and bake it in the oven for about 10 min, it gets crispy and its the same shape as a pizza slice so all your sense's are satisfied!!:0) Great job on your life changing journey, you are an inspiration!!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops I don't put cheese twice on it!!LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dedication is inspiring! I try to eat healthy too (though I don't track calories or carbs/fat/protein daily) and I love to find healthy alternatives to typical meals. This evening, my husband made "tacos" using our favorite walnut taco recipe. It's so good and fresh, I don't even want the greasier option anymore. Ooh, and yesterday, I was craving ice cream but we didn't have any in the house, so I pureed a frozen banana, added a few dark chocolate chips, and swirled in some peanut butter. I was surprised at how tasty it was!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy