Monday, August 27, 2012

This is what happens...

...when Staples has a Back-to-School Sale...


My desk drawers become (neatly) full to overflowing with school supplies. You truly can't beat boxes of erasers for a penny a piece (there was a limit of four boxes...so I had to stop at that!). Many other items were offering rebates (which I sent for already) and were priced well. It's a good thing there was a limit to how many of the sale-priced items we could get, otherwise, I may have bought them out!


I know it's silly...but I just love seeing all the erasers, clips, paper and pens. ;)


For my birthday, Chris had gotten me *just* what I had asked for (truly!)...a shredder!


I have 12 years worth of documents to shred (I often save a lot...just in case I would need something). I have so, so, so much more to shred...I work on it bit by bit! This shredded paper will make wonderful mulch around my plants in my gardens next year!


I had previously ordered new labels for my containers around the kitchen. I have always loved the chalkboard labels I have seen...so I got some (along with a chalkboard marker). I just love how it looks!



After our schooling was completed today, I cleaned out my refrigerator (yes, we have dozens of eggs. Our chickens are keeping us well-stocked!). I have to do this about once a week. One problem we have had is that we would keep leftovers in containers and often forget about them or else forget how long it had been in there (and if it was still safe to eat!). I do not like to waste food...


...so, to solve my problem, I got these...


Now, technically, you can do something like my sister does...she simply puts a piece of masking tape on a lid and writes the information on it so she knows how long food is in the fridge. I know my intentions would be good...but I would forget easily (and often, we are out of masking tape!). So these erasable food labels are *just* the thing for me! It uses a permanent marker...but can still be erased!

For supper tonight, I made rolls (pictured a couple photos down) along with my homemade meatballs and some sauce. This was what my family ate (I, of course, had chicken). We had some things leftover...so they got labeled and now, will be able to be properly used up before they go bad!



Today was also our first day of schooling for the year. It didn't go quite as beautifully as I would have liked. Jaxson (who is doing first grade work) was cheerful and enjoyed every minute of his schoolwork...


Madelyn did pretty well too...Xavier was my pickle today. Getting that brain concentrated on words, facts and figures all at once overwhelmed him. He desires things to come easily to him (as they often do for Madelyn) and when he has to really think something out, he gets frustrated. It's not that he can't do it...he just wants to choose *not* to. When I tell him that is not an option, he gets upset. It was quite a trying day for us...but tomorrow we start afresh.

Although I can feel weary from it all...I do feel that these difficult days teach us so much. Chris and I are working hard to teach X (and our other children) that we discipline them to *teach* them. We do this out of love (and in obedience to God). We want the *very* best for them and included in that is their behavior. It's also teaching me patience, love, and discipline (for myself...). 



 Jaxson set the supper table for me tonight, without being asked. That was such a blessing...


And finally...after this long, full-to-the-brim post...I just want to share my latest book. I haven't started it yet....but hope to dive into it tonight after crawling under my quilt. It's called "Almost Amish" by Nancy Sleeth. It sounds like it will be right up my alley! Have any of you read it?


It's getting late (8:30 here...creeping past my bedtime!). I am definitely an early to bed, early to rise type of gal! So glad you had time to come by for a visit! Until next time, Lord willing...

Warmly,
Katy

17 comments:

  1. I love back to school supplies! I always stock up. Your labels are great. Where did you find them? And the ones you use in the fridge, do they stay on when it's washed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found my labels through amazon! :) And the fridge ones...yes, they stay on when they are washed. :) and then you can just reuse them anytime you have leftovers! :o)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'm all over this thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. I loved your whole post and then got to the end and saw the book "Almost Amish", I am about 1/2 way through it right now!!! I'm really enjoying it! Just tonight I read about her lessons learned in the garden and they made me laugh. I've always thought i would love to turn Amish (other than not believing alike with doctrine :)) So I really like her encouragement that we can live very much like them, without actually becoming Amish...just by applying some of their wonderful principles to our lives!! Great read, so far!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started the book last night...and so far I am enjoying it. I am a smidge leary about her and her husbands seemingly extreme focus on the environment...but I'm still going through it, seeing what I can glean. :) I think we should definitely take care of God's creation...but they almost seem to be more worried about that then sharing the gospel with others...know what I mean?

      Delete
  3. You will have to post when you finish what you thought. I have that book in my amazon shopping cart. I guess I should check our library! Maybe they will have it!

    You should see my box of back to school supplies. I went a bit overboard. But like you said, for pennies how can you go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get the chalkboard labels? Does the chalk pen keep from smearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have book read the book Almost Amish. It was a good book. Not exactly what I thought is was going to be but still enjoyed it. I love getting good deals for school. Our family was blessed to sing at a relief concert for the tornatoes that went through our state. They gave my children a big bag of school supplies for singing. I thought that was wonderful. Even though we homeschooled they still did. We have so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a few shoebox containers in Megan's closet with school supplies. I always stock up as I can't imagine paying full price for an eraser or box of crayons!

    I use a dry erase marker to mark my leftover containers. It works well, but those labels you have look much neater.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have not read that books but love Amish stuff. Love all the goodies you got at staples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too Katy! It just makes me smile to see a stash of school supplies! Love it! And I LOVE your chalkboard labels! So pretty!

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the look of the chalkboard labels!

    you'll have to let me know how that book is... i've never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those chaulk board labels. Did you get them on line? I wanted to share a little shredder tip. After I went through my second shredder, i found out that I was supposed to be putting lubricating sheets through them. I got the sheets at office depot but any office supply will have them. I wished I had known about them sooner, i could have saved a lot of money. Happy Birthday (late as usual fo me).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love all your tips and tricks and that you enjoy your life...mostly I love how you take your life...and LIVE...the best you know how...with a thankful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Chalk board labels! I have the same jars as you do and I have wanted to do something like this with them!

    I will have to check out this book!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am so sad about pearl..poor little thing..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am almost finished with the book. I like it. Looks like a lovely time in your home.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy