Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Homemaking, Homeschooling & Mothering


As another day draws to a close I am enjoying some time resting in a comfy chair in the living room (I would love to be able to sit indian-style...but my quad muscles are so sore and tight, getting used to all this exercise, that it hurts too much to sit that way). I spent the evening (after a supper of ham, broccoli, cauliflower, and potatoes) reel mowing the lawn and taking clothes off the line. Chris was weed-eating an area (in preparation for building the children's clubhouse there) and cutting some small, unwanted trees and such and burning them. The boys helped him. Madelyn is getting to have a *sleepover* at her grammie's house (I'm so thankful my children are close with their grandparents on both sides! They love getting to spend time with them!).

Around the house a bit...





I finished putting together the children's portfolios (in PA we are required to submit one each year for all children 8 and older). They have our daily planner/log in them, workbook samples, astronomy workbooks, artwork samples and handwriting samples. Chris took them to his brother (who is a certified school teacher and our evaluator) tonight. After he goes through them and signs off on the, I have to turn it into our school district. After the superintendent checks them over, they will call me and I will be able to go and pick them up.


It's hard to believe we have been homeschooling all these years. I am so thankful that we have this freedom and pray we always will. What a treasure it is to have my children home with me all day...yes, the sibling squabbles can be wearisome...but this is what it is to be a mother. It's my calling to teach, train and discipline them (honestly, why anyone would want to *not* be with their children baffles me).

...and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. 
~Titus 2:4-5

 It really seems to me that the book of Titus really spells it out for us women. I think it is a wonderful calling...to serve. It's not easy...but it is, to me, the ultimate life. Glorifying God in obeying His Word and serving our family is a privilege. I love this quote (maybe you have heard it before too)...

One hundred years from now
It will not matter 
What kind of car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
How much money I had in my bank account,
Nor what my clothes looked like.
But the world may be a little better
Because I was important in the life of a child.
~Unknown

Whose life are you most important in? Your children's! When you die...don't concern yourself with leaving them a ton of *stuff*...but leave them with a piece of your heart. Leave them with memories of days spent with their mother....learning, working, playing, laughing, crying, smiling. That is my goal in life and I pray it will be the goal of more and more women in this world.

"You reveal God's character when you tenderly nurture your flock."
~Nancy Campbell, Above Rubies


Penny, Pearl and Polly are great little back-yard-mowers!


Monday, Madelyn and I took a trip to visit my sister and Eloise. We hadn't seen them in over a week and we were missing them! Eloise was thrilled to have her beloved Madelyn over to play with!

They colored...



...and played in the clothes basket...



...read books...


And watched (and blew kisses to) their neighbor who was kindly mowing their lawn for them (he is the same man who sold us his Jeep, such a sweet and wonderful couple...they are like Eloise's third set of grandparents!)...


If you go HERE, you can read more about our visit with my sister and the Squeezle.


Well, again, I have been long-winded (a seemingly common occurrence for me)...but now I really must wrap this up. I have spin class bright and early tomorrow (at 6) so I need to be heading to bed! I hope your week is going well...and again, much thanks to each of you for your encouragement for my weight loss goals! So many of you are working at this yourselves and know that I am wishing you all the best!

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

Linked to...
The Modest Mom 
The Better Mom
Growing Home

 
a-wise-woman-builds-her-home

14 comments:

  1. Your unknown quote is a spin off from:
    Forest E. Witcraft, a Boy Scout Administrator. We used it in my son's Eagle Scout ceremony in 2010.

    I enjoy your blog, blessings to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Katy, Titus spells it out for us for sure.
    It's still sad that so many women malign the word of God even so.

    I'm thankful that I have a husband who wants to teach our children at home and wants me to be home training them. I know some who don't and so a woman in this case has no choice but to send her children to public school.

    ...
    I'm happy to hear your workouts are going well and producing that pain..that will soon pass;-)!!!!

    we mow our entire acre with a push mower and it's not level. Up until baby A came along, I
    've been helping my husband mow twice a week. It's a GREAT workout for sure! I'm certain it's what kept my pregnancy so healthy this last time around.And I felt like I was helping in a good way to do something for our home.
    Wishing you a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cut our small patch of grass in our backyard with our push mower, too. It is a great workout and i love that we don't have to ever put gasoline in it, plus it is quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post!!!

    Great job in your workouts!! You're motivating me to get moving as well!! :)

    Blessings to you!,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you wrote in regards to Titus. It is the bible!!! His Word!! We can't change that! Smiles.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post and it shows the beauty and rewards of homeschooling! What a blessing it is!

    Joy just said she owes Madelyn a letter (long overdue) on which I believe she is working!

    Have a great day, Katy!

    Hugs,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post.

    I can't believe how big your kids are getting, and Madelyn looks SO much like you, it's uncanny :)

    Hope you're having a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you've all been having a great life lately! Working in the yard is something I aspire to get to do- as of now we just have decks. One day! Thanks again for visiting my blog and entering my giveaway:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there Miss Katy, James here keeping up for Loretta. Thanks for stopping by, I'll tell her you sent regards. The children sure are growing. Hope ya'll are well. Ya'll take care now and May the Lord Bless. James

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,
    I'm so glad you dropped into my blog and I'm not sure how you found me, but I feel such peace when I visit your online home. You're living my dream-homschooling, backing and living a life of peace that isn't in the suburbs....

    I'm so glad I met you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who's VW bus is that in the background? Love it. That is my dad's dream car :) He has been searching but they are hard to come by. Thanks for sharing all of your great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The VW in the background belongs to my sister (smalltowngal01.blogspot.com). She also has a VW bug and I have one as well (although mine isn't in driving condition!) Her VW in the photo, there, is actually a camper. It's really neat! :)

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful blog post! It's my first time to visit your blog-I'm so glad I found it. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful evening. Our three children just took the mandatory tests required. It was so stressful but then we got the results and Yay! everyong did amazing. Thanks for sharing so much with us.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy