Saturday, June 23, 2012

Health Benefits of Spinning


As most of you know I have been changing my lifestyle habits in an effort to get healthy...and not only that but to be God-honoring. When you are a Christian, you seek to honor God in all you do. Often, people can think that means just staying away from the "bad" things (like: swearing, excessive drinking, smoking etc.). I didn't ever want to admit that a high caloric intake (with little exercise) could be considered one of the "bad" things. But over-eating is gluttony and absolutely wrong.

I am not working to get healthy just to "be skinny" or to "have a better self-image". This is *not* a journey of "finding myself". I have seen so many videos on Netflix or the computer where therapists encourage obese people to "reach into your past and find what events triggered you to be addicted to food" (putting a lot of blame on parents). Yes, stress and terrible events in our lives can trigger us to behave in self-destructing ways...however, the truth of it all is that it is *sin*. We are a selfish, pleasure-seeking people who want what we want when we want it. There is no reason to pass the blame (obese people do not become this way because they are force fed by someone else).

We are to be self-controlled (in all areas). There should be a healthy balance... (as on the other end of the scale (although equally as sinful) is body worship. Obsessiveness over yourself is selfish and idolatrous)... in our lives...all motivated by seeking to glorify God in all we do!


 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;  idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions  and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-controlAgainst such things there is no law.  Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
~Galatians 5:19-25


Will there be temptations? Absolutely! However, God always promises to provide a way out. It will be difficult...the battle against the flesh is one of the hardest things to do. If you are a child of the Most High, though, you can rest assured that you will make it through as He becomes the strength you need! :)

So....I said **all** of that to share with you some of the benefits of taking a spinning class (of course, you can spin on a stationary bike at home...but a class keeps you accountable and pushes you more). I really enjoy spinning...it is a *great* workout. You will sweat...a lot. You will burn calories and get physically fit! Here are some of the health benefits I have found:

* There is little pressure on your knees, ankles and feet. Of course, there is standing positions in spinning that can be more difficult...but just staying in the saddle (seat)  pedaling fast is a great workout for those who have joint problems!

* You go at your own pace! I am still a beginner in my spin class (I have only gone to 10 classes or so). I can't do *all* the things some of the other ladies can do. I go at my own pace...but try to work a little harder at each class. I get better with each class! I am spinning while standing a lot more at positions 2 and 3 and increasing my tension as much as I can.

* The other people in the class are so encouraging...and it gives you a chance to encourage them! You can push each other and support one another...everyone is there to get healthy and it's way better to do when you have others around you!

* You can burn a lot of calories in a shorter amount of time. I usually spin for around 45 minutes but this past Friday morning, we spun for 6o minutes! Of course, the number of calories you burn depends on how hard you work...but there is *great* potential there!

* As you spin and watch your diet, you gain energy and lose fat. You will feel better after every class! (Ok...maybe not after the first class. My muscles were terribly sore after that very first spinning class...but everyone encouraged me to keep with it and not give up. Now, it is much easier! I look forward to going!)

It is my goal to spin for years....and if I get pregnant again, I intend to continue spinning during the pregnancy. Maybe, one day, I will be good enough to actually *teach* a spin class! That's a goal of mine as well! :)

As a side note...many ladies who visit my blog dress similar to me. They enjoy wearing skirts or dresses each day. Maybe you find this a hindrance to exercising. I go to my spinning class as soon as the YMCA opens (a few minutes before 6am). I wear THESE pants with a t-shirt and sneakers. After spin class, I come home and get a shower (usually before Chris and the children are even awake) and then wash a load of laundry with my icky, sweaty workout clothes in them. After the refreshing (truly, after such a hard workout, it feels wonderful) shower, I get dressed in my normal skirt and top. :) Although I like to dress feminine all the time....during a workout I don't look, smell or feel very feminine...so I set my skirts aside until I am freshened up! ;)

I hope you have found encouragement here today! Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

Linked up at A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

5 comments:

  1. You have such a wonderful, God honoring attitude towards getting healthy! I read a book, "Made to Crave", a few months ago. It was very convicting for me.

    I've always wondered about spinning...I have heard of it but never known anyone that did it. It sounds like a great workout! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy, You should be very proud of yourself! Before you know it...you will have a whole new lifestyle. God is with you during this change. Good luck.... and whether you know it or not, you may be changing the ways and thoughts of others, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved learning about your exercise and why you do it. tanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the entirety of this post today Katy. I started going to the gym and using the treadmill a few months ago, but need to get back in a routine. Another one of my friends also spins and she really enjoys it. I'm glad that you are benefiting nicely from your class!

    Your blog REGULARLY encourages me. (: Those that I'm closest to, know of "my friend Katy, The Country Blossom." I hope that they are also encouraged by your blog since it is evident that you put a lot of thought and prayer into it. (:

    Keep up the good work Katy! ((HUG))

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spinning too! <3

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy