Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Joys of Childhood!


"Truly wonderful the mind of a child is." 
~Yoda (Star Wars)


“Parents who homeschool with the greatest success love to play with their children. They learn to protect children's playtime. They appreciate how much learning results from many kinds of play. PLAY allows the spark of creative insight to flame - a most powerful learning tool.”
 ~ Ann Lahrson-Fisher (homeschooling writer)



“The activities that are the easiest, cheapest, and most fun to do – such as singing, playing games, reading, storytelling, and just talking and listening – are also the best for child development.” 
~ Jerome Singer (professor, YaleUniversity)



“Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning…They have to play with what they know to be true in order to find out more, and then they can use what they learn in new forms of play.” 
~ Fred Rogers



During the beautiful days of summer we have enjoyed time with family friends and the children have enjoyed lots of time in *play*. Climbing, sliding, swinging, running, hanging, swimming, laughing...oh the joys of childhood! (We enjoyed lunch with our Pastor's wife, daughter and grandchildren and then all headed to a state park to play for a while on Thursday! It was such a nice time and the children had a lot of fun!)


At home, the children enjoyed playing catch with the football...



Jaxson enjoyed swinging while watching his siblings!


Friday evening we met with our friends and their two children to visit and fellowship...and let the children play (it was truly a gorgeous evening)...



After wading in the water a bit, the children had fun swinging as Daddy pushed them...



Climbing and playing...


Hanging and gliding along this sort-of zip-line...




X and Jaxson were both super-quick to go round and round, down this spiral contraption...


Round and round they go!


Even the *big* kids spent time swinging ;)


I enjoy watching the children play and giggle. They have such a good time. Our friends' children are a bit younger than ours and it's so nice to see my littles play with and help/watch over them. Family and good friends are such a blessing. I hope *you* and your family are getting out there to play often!

Warm smiles to you!
Thanks for coming by!

Kindly,
Katy :)
  

8 comments:

  1. Looks so fun! And I love all the quotes about childhood and play. Thank you for sharing! I'm reading a book right now that I really like called "Playful Parenting". We don't have kids yet, but hopefully someday. Childhood is a beautiful thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures and I love your quotes!!!

    Blessings to you,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures and I love your quotes!!!

    Blessings to you,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday the children played outside a lot here too! Love that... Love noticing their rosy cheeks and healthy glow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question. I understand you were fairly content with your body before. How has the sudden realization that you have to loose weight effected that? I am curious as many women struggle with this. What has been your experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was content..but not content. I *knew* wasn't eating healthy enough and getting enough exercise...but the idea of working to lose the weight seemed to overwhelming to me. I have always wanted to get back to the weight I was when I graduated high school but just never achieved it. Chris absolutely loves me for who I am...just how I am...but then him actually *saying* the words that I need to lose weight to be healthy (and possibly carry another child one day) made me feel ashamed of myself for letting myself go. It's like living in sin...but trying to convince yourself that it's not *really* a sin. Over eating is gluttony...and not exercising enough was laziness. As a child of God, I desire to be a good example to my children and other moms as well as honor God through my behavior. I am not obsessed with "getting skinny" or constantly worried about if I "look good enough". I want to be healthy and conscious of my decisions. :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for answering my question!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I am so glad I found your blog-I love it ; ) I'm trying to simplify our life and this seems right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy