Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"The smell of good bread baking...

 ...like the sound of lightly flowing water, is indescribable in its evocation of innocence and delight." 
~M.F.K. Fisher


Have you ever made clover-leaf rolls? They are a favorite in our house....and so easy to make! You can use your favorite bread recipe (I used a regular white bread for these rolls). After letting the dough rise for the first time, punch it down and split it into halves. I used one half to make a loaf of bread...formed it and put it into a greased loaf pan to rise. With the other half...to get equally sized rolls, I split the dough into 4 equal pieces. Then I split those into three equal pieces...totaling 12 pieces of dough. Then I took each of *those* pieces and separated them into three equal balls of dough and put them into greased muffin tins to rise.


After letting the rolls and bread rise for 30 minutes or so, I baked them for another 30 minutes. Out came beautiful, delicious clover-leaf rolls...


...as well as a plump, golden loaf of bread...



Our lives full of stress
fighting a race day to day
rats on the treadmill, the maze
trying to find our own way

Turning to human goals
to acquire and to hold
Forgetting the lessons of the Christ
a more humble way to go

Living that simple life
loving God and our fellow man
spending time in the word
lending our helping hand

Trusting in the Lord
His hand will provide
going where we are led
our brother by our side

~Raymond A. Foss, 
Living That Simple Life


Glimpses into my sweet, simple life...

It's been raining here lately, although the sunshine popped it's lovely face out for a bit this afternoon. Xavier had to don his rain poncho and galoshes to do his chores this morning...


The children built a tent in the living room this morning before tackling our schoolwork...


A B C...Come & learn with me...


Madelyn reading to Jaxson...


Xavier helping Jaxson to read some simple words from the McGuffey Reader...


Sleepy Jaxson...


Soft and cozy corners of the dining room in the darkness of winter evenings...





"November comes
And November goes,
With the last red berries
And the first white snows.

With night coming early,
And dawn coming late,
And ice in the bucket
And frost by the gate.

The fires burn
And the kettles sing,
And earth sinks to rest
Until next spring."
~Elizabeth Coatsworth



Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

7 comments:

  1. It looks like you are enjoying the quiet moments of colder months! Your baking looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering ~ yum!!!

    Congratulations ~ you won the giveaway on Bright Bold and Beautiful. I will email you as well.

    xoxo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're totally motivating me to bake!!! I can almost smell the fresh warm clover leaf rolls through your pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy those rolls are beautiful and so is the loaf! I love freshly bake bread and how it fills the house with such a nice aroma. You have been getting a lot of rain, how does that affect your animals outside...do you have to keep them in the barn all the time? Have a great week!
    Best Wishes,
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rolls look wonderful! I can almost taste them warm from the oven with some butter.

    Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a few months since I made bread...I miss it. I would love to try those rolls, too!

    Blessings!
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! The rolls look delicious. I am actually going to try to make rolls today but not cloverleaf. I love them but I am not able to work with anything that long at a time. Always enjoy seeing the children!
    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy