Friday, November 25, 2011

"For each new morning with its light,

...For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends, 
For everything Thy goodness sends.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson


The children and I spent much of Thanksgiving eve cleaning the house. Although we keep the house pretty tidy throughout each day, the thought of having guests encouraged us to do a little extra cleaning. We had previously planned to have our Thanksgiving meal at my parents' house...but due to a few circumstances, mom called and asked if we could have the meal here! I gladly accepted! I love to host get-togethers!

Madelyn, a great helper, busy dusting shelves...



The boys were good helpers too, I must admit. :) I am thankful for my children and their willingness to help. Jaxson, after cleaning, took time to do some coloring...


Thanksgiving drawings and crafts...


Always grateful, having a heart full and joyful...because of Him...


Thou hast given so much to me,
Give one more thing, -a grateful heart;
Not thankful when it pleaseth me,
As if Thy blessings had spare days,
But such a heart whose pulse may be Thy praise.
~George Herbert


The house smelled wonderful being freshly-cleaned; with warm fragrances from candles filling the air...







Thanksgiving day held busyness, as well! I was doing last-minute cleaning...hustling and bustling around the house. I stopped to see Christopher enjoying some coffee and a magazine...I jokingly told him I would take his picture and post it as *his* contribution to the Thanksgiving prep! ;) It's hard to see, but he is smiling in this picture!


My Madelyn...cheerfully helping me in the kitchen...




Setting up tables and chairs...


Finally, family started to arrive! Although I was still busy preparing food to be served...I did get the chance to snap a few photos of Miss Eloise. She was her ever-glowing, squeezle-y self...smiles and giggles abounding! What joy she brings to the family! *She turned 10 months old on the 23rd! The time is flying by much-too-quickly!*

My dad (known as Pop-Pop to the children) with Eloise...


High-Five!


And another!



She smiled the whole afternoon (which of course made us all smile and laugh as she makes the cutest faces)!


After a lovely prayer of Thanksgiving from our little Jaxson, it was time to eat! Since we didn't have room on the tables to put the food...we left it in the kitchen and filled our plates buffet style!


See? She really *did* smile all afternoon...



After our lovely meal, Chris retired to his chair and quickly fell asleep...


Devon, Cory and Eloise had to leave so they could spend time with Cory's family. We were sad to see them go but thankful they were able to be here as long as they were! Some other family came by for pie and coffee a bit later. The children put on a puppet show for them! (The theater Chris made had accidentally been bumped a while back and the top broke...thus why the curtain is so low at the present time. Chris said he will fix it for the children. They were happy to make-do with what they had though!:)


A cousin's little girl didn't want to just watch! She wanted to play *too*!! :)


The children let the goats out for a bit in the evening. Pearl and Polly were quite thankful, I'm sure, for a chance to get outside a bit and run around!


My mom asked if Madelyn could have a sleepover at her house that evening...so after helping me clean up a bit (and find places for all the leftovers in the fridge)...my parents and Madelyn left. I happily found rest in my chair in the living room...thankful to put my feet up for a bit. Chris and the boys had a lot of fun playing a Spot It game...



Although we can all make lists, miles long, of things to be truly thankful for...let us never forget the real reason for any of us to be grateful...the gift of God...His Son...taking our sins upon Himself and suffering our punishment. Do you know Him?

"Greater love hath no man than this, 
that a man lay down His life for His friends."
 ~Jesus (John 15:13)

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an absolutely wonderful, satisfying Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right, Katy! Without the Lord it is all for nothing!

    We had a beautiful day here too, but no pictures to show it! :(

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely wonderful day you had with family! Isn't it heart-warming to be together with family? I am so thankful for mine... Hope you get a bit of down time and relax... Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful day Katy!!! I just love to see are the care and love in your little family. Thanks for sharing! And cute plates:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home is beautiful Katy and looks like you had a lovely day.
    God bless.

    Melissa:)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy