Monday, November 21, 2011

"Books to the ceiling...

 ...Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them!"
~Arnold Lobel


Books are the quietest and most constant friends;
they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, 
and the most patient of teachers.
~Charles W. Eliot


The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Be as careful of the books you read, as the company you keep; for your habits and character will be as much influenced by the former as by the latter. 
~Paxton Hood


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. 
~Sir Francis Bacon



Just a few treasured places, around our home, filled with books...with many still waiting to be read! There are even more book shelves that I have not taken photos of this time (although I have photo-ed and put in previous blog posts over the years). As much as I love books and also to *read* them...I must end this post with a quote that I couldn't have said better myself (so true, isn't it?):


"The Bible is worth all other books which have ever been printed."

~Patrick Henry


Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

8 comments:

  1. Amen! I love the Bible!

    I also love other books, but not in the same way. I have shelves higher than my head, full of books. Stashes of them hide in every hidy hole in the house! My Son in his growing up years read or we read to him over 5000 books. He is 18 today, and has never stopped reading. What a gift to be grateful for, the ability to read.

    None have the transforming power of the Bible though. The Word itself has the power to divide, discern , and change an individual for all eternity!

    A great post, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a love for books! Although I am particular about what I read. Unless a book really touches me I read it and pass it on to my mother-in-law.

    The Bible is THE book. The one that should be read and re-read over all others.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love "Wear the old coat, buy the new book." Books are definitely friends to be treasured and well, none can measure up to the Bible! :)

    Happy Thanksgiving, Katy!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy, I think we all have a love of books...I sure do! However, isn't it sad that some do not regard the Word of God! Have a wonderful week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the quotes - - so true. It's sometimes hard for me to put my Bible down. There doesn't seem like there's much time for more reading than that; although the cold weather and holidays are invitations to snuggle up and enjoy a good book or two. (:

    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Patrick Henry quote at the end of this post. We have four bookshelves in our family room and another in my kitchen for my cookbook collection. And more in my crafting corner. Books, books, books ~ Love books.
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quotes and thoughts Katie...I am a book lover myself!

    Have a great day!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy - I truly share your love of books as well.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy