Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Days of November

"November comes 
And November goes, 
With the last red berries 
And the first white snows.


With night coming early, 
And dawn coming late, 
And ice in the bucket 
And frost by the gate.


The fires burn 
And the kettles sing, 
And earth sinks to rest 
Until next spring."

~ Elizabeth Coatsworth



We have been really enjoying the days of November sunshine we get...as they end quite early each day! We soak in as much of those beautiful, cheerful rays as we can (while we can)! This past week has shared many lovely days with us...for which I am grateful. For soon, the winter will come and keep us, for the most part, indoors. 


We brought out Penny, Pearl and Polly to run, play and get some exercise as well! Although, Penny only seems to want to eat...


The littlest ones love to *hop* everywhere they go! ;)



The *girls* are laying....only getting one egg a day (and sporadically at that!) but I'll take it. Something is better than nothing! I am confidant that next spring we'll be over-flowing with nice, brown eggs!



Jaxson shooting his *air* bow and arrow...


Xavier...wanting to show his football-throwing abilities...


When a valiant knight lacks a horse to ride...the only logical thing to do is climb aboard a tractor! ;)


Pearl (on the left) and Polly...


We're getting ready for the cold, winter months...can you tell? :o)




The beautiful sunshine has enabled me to get many loads of laundry out on the lines to dry. Then, as the baskets are carried in...I remember it all has to be folded! Isn't it nice to know that you aren't alone in having to do this never-ending task? Not that I am complaining...for I am thankful for the water to *wash* our clothes and the space to hang them out. I am thankful for the beautiful people who wear these clothes and that God has gifted me with them. There are reasons to be ever-thankful even in our daily *chores*!


I've also been baking. Here are loaves of buttermilk-honey bread. Delicious! I will try and share the recipe someday...


Rolls for supper one evening...


As a treat, for supper last week, we had rootbeer floats! The children were so excited when I suggested it!


As we were eating, though, the lights went out...then came on...then went out again...so we turned things off so they weren't going on and off like that and lit an oil lamp to eat by (my favorite way to live by, anyway!) Apparently, there was a brush fire somewhere down the road that was affecting everyone's electric!


And last, but certainly not least, Xavier...a photo of him, one afternoon, after schooling and a busy afternoon of playing. He tuckered out on the couch...


It's 5am here and I have been up for an hour now. My body just naturally gets up at 4...I am truly not sure why! After supper though, it is almost painful to stay awake very late. These early hours are such a nice time though....I am able to read my Bible and pray as well as get some housework done before the busy-ness of the day! :)

Thank you for visiting me today. I hope you are making the most of your November days...living each one with joy in your heart...for "this is the day that the Lord hath made; We will rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalm 118:24).

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
 Katy

9 comments:

  1. Good morning! I'm an early bird too, though not quite as early as you : ) I almost posted that exact same poem the other day- but we haven't had snow yet (truly amazing for where we live in oh.) so I didn't.
    Happy Tuesday !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post. I love reading your blog. It feels so cozy and comforting! And yes, while the laundry is never-ending, it means we have a family to love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning, Katy;)

    I love the poem, it expresses the loveliness of November. I am enjoying the coziness of this time of year. I think I need an oil lamp too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy, I love coming and visiting your blog. I find it also cozy and comforting. Right now my life is so busy, taking care of my family, my Mom and an older friend that has no family. I feel I find a few monments of peace coming to visit you. :)
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are trying to make the most of our sunny pleasant days too before the cold sets in. :) Your baked goods look yummy. I know your kiddos are enjoying your new goats.:) They look like lots of fun. Hope you have a great week.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany
    www.homeschoolhomestead.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm so jealous of where you live. What a fun place for your kids to be homeschooled. So much to explore! Love all the fun pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post as always...I love light from one of my oil lamps....so cozy...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love this post! The children seem to be enjoying outside. Your bread is so tempting...I would love to have the recipe, as I'm sure others would too! Take care and have a great week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buttermilk and honey bread? Just the saying the name sounds delicious. I have some buttermilk in the fridge right now. It makes a big difference to the taste of baked goods. Wow Katy you get up at 4am - every day? We have always been up by 6am but I got up earlier the other day at 5am and I loved how much I was able to accomplish in that quiet time. I want to make it a habit - the kookaburras (noisiest birds in the world and they really sound like they are laughing at you!) usually go off at that time so I'm often awake by then. It is so hot and humid today - I am almost melting. I think our summer could be a real scorcher!
    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy