Sunday, August 3, 2014

Meat Chickens & Puppy Love

Saturday was meat-chicken-butchering-day. I will admit it is *not* my favorite day. I know it is how life goes...but killing animals (even for food) is not my cup of tea. It *is* a blessing though knowing how our chickens are raised, what they are fed etc. These are healthier chickens than you buy at the store (hormone free!).


The killing is instant and they do not feel pain....so that is good (I don't watch that happen either). Then they are dunked into hot water (a certain temp.) for a few minutes. Then they go into the chicken plucker that Chris made...


Then the chickens were given to Madelyn and me to gut and finish up...


Tractor driving...





You may remember when I shared that Chris's parents' dog had gotten hit on the road (and that I found her) HERE. It was so sad and heart breaking. Chris's dad was able to find people who were selling Australian Shepherd pups recently. Madelyn went with him to pick one out and they came home with this sweetie-girl...


She is incredibly adorable! She has yet to learn her name though, which is Lucy. :) 


My children really love her! 


...and she loves them! They love playing and chasing each other...




Even Chris enjoyed loving on Lucy...


All worn out after playing...


I hope you are enjoying your weekend! It's raining here. I am hoping for a quiet, relaxing evening!

Thank you for visiting!
Warmly,
Katy

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing to raise your own chickens for meat! It's one of our goals someday.

    Lucy is a cutie! Very sad about their last pup.

    Blessings, Jessica

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy