Thursday, July 3, 2014

Knitting: Teaching Boys


Jaxson, my youngest, loves all things hands-on. He likes to draw, color, build, craft and be creative. (He's my dreamer!) He has been wanting to learn to sew and knit! He has been asking...a lot! I think it is wonderful for boys to learn all kinds of trades so they are well rounded and able to care for things themselves. The other day, I taught Jax to knit. He caught on pretty quickly and is now seen knitting everywhere (and taking it with him, wherever he goes!).

It was so cute (and dear to this mama's heart) when he giggled after doing a row and said, "I guess I'm knitting!"...I smiled and said, "Yes! You are!" :)


 Xavier is my worker. He likes to drive machines, make noise, build things and the like. Seeing Jaxson learn how to knit though, made *him* want to learn too. After trying a few times...(and he was catching on)...I think he decided it wasn't really for him. :)



Jaxson, knitting away...


I was outside playing frisbee with Xavier when Jax came out, knitting needles in hand and his backpack on his back. When I asked why he was carrying the pack, I noticed the yarn trailed into it...that was his way of knitting while on the go! He kept his yarn in the backpack! :)


His progress...


So far, we have only worked on the garter stitch. At some point, as I did with Madelyn, we will work on casting on, the purl stitch and more, if he so desires! :) Maybe, one day, he'll out-knit Madelyn and me? ;)

Madelyn was calling them the Knit-Twins (since her and Jaxson were sitting and knitting together the one day)...I called them the Knit-Whits. We all thought that was pretty clever and laughed much about it! :)
Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

9 comments:

  1. Hi Katy, I really enjoy your blog and this post in particular. It reminded me that the first person to teach me how to knit was my Dad! He learned as a schoolboy and he never progressed beyond stocking stitch. However, as he is a farmer he never really needed to use this skill, except to teach his daughter of course! and I have to say he was such a patient teacher. God Bless, Bea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bea! I just love that your dad taught you to knit!!! That is so fantastic to hear! I bet that doesn't happen often! What a treasure when it does! :) Thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I have 3 sons. Grown into wonderful ,humble, God fearing men. When they were your boys age I taught them to cross stitch... such fun they had. Needle arts are for all ... young, old, boys, girls.... makes no difference. You never know where it might lead. Perhaps it will be this happy memory that will sustain them through tough times in their adult lives. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! So many men are knitting, cross stitching and quilting these days. I think it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't often comment of blog because I don't have one of my own. Just wanted to say I really enjoy reading your posts. And hi :)
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Treasured memories being created! What lucky children.
    Blessings,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a grandson that loves hands-on projects, too. My daughter just taught him to crochet. Love that your son thought up an on-the-go strategy! That is just too cute. ~Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post! I taught one of my sons (who is now 10) to knit at one point but he hasn't done it for a while now. My older brother knits. He is one of those really outdoorsy, manly types (he builds log homes for his job) but he enjoys knitting too. When we were in Bible college he would knit in class and he was better at it than I. He still knits occasionally - socks for himself, a hat for his little girl, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is too cute! I have heard of major league football players doing crochet on the road because it helps them relax. This reminds me of that :) Thanks for sharing on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy