Monday, July 14, 2014

*She's Thirteen!*

We had Madelyn's 13th birthday party last evening. Here in Western PA we were experiencing strong winds, rain, a tornado warning and thunderstorms. We prayed it would pass before the party began. Chris and our BIL worked on putting up a bit of a barrier from the rain and wind...


Chris is such a monkey...


My mom, my sister, Madelyn and one of my nieces worked on the flower centerpieces (that kept falling over and dumping the water with all the wind)...



During the calm before the storm, Eloise and Dinah enjoyed some time on the swings...



My mom (who did *so* much for the party to make it special) made Madelyn's music note cake (although I forgot to take a picture, they made music note cookies too!)....


My sister made these awesome rag garlands (which Madelyn was allowed to bring home to hang in her room!). The gifts, Madelyn requested, were to be for a local organization that helps abused children. So we accepted donations for that (and Madelyn got a few gifts too!). These aren't all the donations/gifts as people hadn't arrived completely yet when I took the photo (but I wanted to get a picture before the rain set in, which could possibly mess it all up)....


The dark clouds began to roll in and soon we were pummeled with hard rain and wind and a tornado warning. The clouds in the photo below don't even do it justice...it was much darker than my camera made it look...


Thankfully, the Lord graciously pulled the storms away and brought out the sun. The ground was soaked but we were still able to have food, fellowship and fun with our family and friends...


More donations (and a few gifts) arrived!


Eloise was her super-cute self sporting her polka dot rain coat and wellies!
(I LOVE polka dots!)...


There were more in attendance than this but I just wanted to get a picture of the girls all at one table in the back and the boys at the other! ;)


Blowing out her candles with a little help from a cousin...


My mom made this neat, colorful cake! See that black spot in the middle? There was no bug in the cake...I *think* as I took the picture a bug was flying by! How funny is that? ;)


My Jaxson and Dinah...


Madelyn with one of her friends...opening up the donations for the local organization and a few gifts...




My boys and nephews decided it would be fun to get muddy...and oh did they ever! This is light compared to what they looked like by the end of the night (they ended up covered in mud from head to toe!)...


The flower arrangements (in my blue jars) were so beautiful!


Chris and our SIL (who let us borrow her tent) worked on putting the tent up that the girls would camp out in...


It is such a great tent and we are so thankful they let us borrow it for this occasion!


Breakfast was eggs and bacon over the fire! :)


So now we are home after an exhausting night and morning. Now we need to spend the day catching up on some household chores and hopefully, relaxing a bit. I definitely think today will be a great day for a nap! It is cloudy and wet out so mowing can wait for another day. Today is a day to re-cooperate from our *fun*. We are so thankful for such great friends and family...who will attend an outdoor birthday party in the middle of summer thunderstorms! :)

I'm still processing the fact that I am now the mother of a teenager. I knew it would happen eventually, it just seemed to spring on me all of a sudden though. I didn't expect the years to roll by as swiftly as they have! I'm sure, if you have children, you can relate!?

Thank you for sharing in our day with us!

Kindly,
Katy

9 comments:

  1. Love it ALL!! You are truly blessed Katy! (: (:
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADELYN!!

    Have a great week!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special day your family and friends gave Maddy for her special 13th year. It all looks amazing...your mom did a great job with the cake...and I loved the flower arrangements in the blue mason jars. A belated happy birthday to your girl. I hope you are able to rest some today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to Madelyn! Looks like everyone had a nice time, oh katy washing the mud out of your little boys clothes...i remember those fun filled days :) Lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun party! Yes, I can totally relate to the shock of entering the teen years so quickly. Our oldest will turn 15 this month, and the following week our second daughter will turn 13. So I will have TWO teenagers! There's so much to love about the teen years--my daughters are becoming dear friends in addition to being my children. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started reading your blog with Madelyn was in kindergarten and can't believe how fast time has gone by. Happy Birthday Day, Madelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh can I relate... My daughter turned 13 last week too! It was a hard pill to swallow :( but very exciting too :)

    P.S. I love the rag bunting flag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katy,
    I can relate~my oldest daughter will be turning 11 on Saturday!!! While I am happy and excited to see what God has in store for my sweet girl, I am sad that time is going swiftly by :(
    What a wonderful idea to donate to an organization that helps abused children. That just warms my heart. As a child that was abused by an alcoholic father, I can tell you what an amazing and precious gift your daughter is giving to them. God bless her.
    Thank you for sharing your pictures. I LOVE the rag garlands! So pretty!
    Blessings to you all!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! 13 !!!!! Happy Birthday, Madelyn!!!!!!!!! Hope it is a great year.........

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the mother of a 25, 22, 20, 15, 12, and almost nine year old! Time does fly by. Savor the moments!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy