Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's been 10 years...

...since the attacks upon our country on September 11, 2001. The events of the morning are etched into my mind, forever. I was a new mother, Madelyn was not quite two months old. I had my usual morning chat with my mother on the phone and then sat down with my baby to watch Fox News. They were showing that one tower of the World Trade Center had been hit with a plane. I clearly remember the news anchors speculating as to why or how this could have happened "...was it just an accident?". 

I watched as the billows of thick, black smoke poured from the side of the tower and a sick feeling crept into the pit of my stomach as I noticed that the skies were a beautiful blue color, cloudless and perfect. I kept telling the television (as if they could hear me) "This was on purpose.....definitely on purpose!" The next thing I know, with my eyes fixed to the live coverage on the tv screen, a horrible feeling of wanting to vomit consumed me as I watched the second plane fly right into the second tower. I was horrified. I had watched a plane-full of people just die. It was just surreal. 

With shaking hands, I dialed my mom's phone number. When she answered, I asked if she was watching television. When she replied she wasn't...I told her to turn it on immediately and described what happened. After hanging up, I just paced and watched the news. 

When I heard of the news that a plane went into the Pentagon....and then that one came down in Pennsylvania, my world seemed to get a lot smaller. I felt terribly scared and vulnerable...here in my little home, alone with my sweet baby girl. I had no idea if more planes were coming down...and where. I got Madelyn's diaper bag together and then we headed over to my parent's house. It was my *home* for 20 years. There was comfort being there *and* with my dear mom. 

Their home is located not-too-far from a small airport. My dad and Chris (and I believe my grandpa who was a deputy sheriff at the time) left work and went there to help secure it and make sure it was safe. At that time, no one knew much and just wanted to cover all bases. 

The rest of the day is a blur. Most of it was spent, I know, watching the news and holding my Madelyn. Such a terribly tragic and sad day...it will resonate in the hearts and minds of the people in this country for the rest of our lives. It is my sincere hope that most of those people knew Jesus Christ as their Savior. To know that any of those, who perished in this terrible event, are in Heaven, brings a small bit of comfort. 

I know that everyone has their own memories of where they were and what they were doing that day. These are mine....now recorded on my blog...to be printed out, one day, into one of my blog books. Just typing this out and remembering, makes my stomach sick. It is my greatest hope that more people have come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ because of this...for He is the Only True Comfort and Hope any of us has. 

Remembering,
Katy

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
  1 Peter 1:2b

2 comments:

  1. What a terrible day. I hadnt had my daughters yet & im kind of glad i hadnt. I called my Mom and we spent the day together too. It was a very emotional day. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its' a Day I shall Never forget
    I was home alone and got the Call
    ay 7am from my Hubby who was working at the Airport, telling me to stay home,after securing the Job site they close the Airport
    he came home..Yes a Emotional Day
    May the Lord Bless you and your
    Family.. Thanks for sharing your
    thoughts...
    Blessings/Hugs
    Ladybug

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy