Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Makings of a Sunday


Sunday was a gorgeous day, here in western Pennsylvania! The sun was brightly shining...but the air was cool, proving that autumn has really set in! We attended a church service for the dedication of our one niece to the Lord...her parents promised to raise her to love Him and guide her in His ways. It was quite lovely.
Following the service, we had fellowship with family and friends at the pavillion with a picnic. We had a delicious meal of sliced ham, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls (that was my contribution), and an array of desserts to choose from!

Some of the men-folk went off to play horseshoes, to burn off all those calories eaten, I'm sure! ;)



Look out yonder (below)...do you see what caught my eye? That lovely barn-red spot in the trees...isn't it beautiful? One little patch waiting for the other leaves around it to catch up! I have every intention, as more leaves turn colors, of making one of THESE fantastic jars. Oh how I love the autumn changes as the cooler weather settles in.


Madelyn, enjoying time on the swingset...


Normally, after a filling lunch and time of fellowship, everyone would head home to enjoy a nice, relaxing Sunday with their family. This particular Sunday, however, had quite a different agenda! It was apple-cider-making-time! The family's fall festival is coming up this weekend and our fresh-pressed apple cider is a favorite among townsfolk who come and visit! 

We begin with lots of apples!!!


We needed some pears too, as they just add the right bit of extra flavor to the cider. There's my Christopher, monkey that he is, up in the tree picking pears...



Here's a sort of *Where's Waldo?* puzzle...except this time, it's *Where's Xavier?* (like father, like son...monkeys ~ *both* of them, I tell ya!) Can you find him?...


Others got in on the pear-picking too...



Then it was time to press every ounce of juice out of those lovely fruits...




Yum, look at all that beautiful juice, freshly-squeezed...


The leftovers...


Cider, ready to be put into jugs...


I stayed busy, for a bit, putting labels on jugs. We had a lot of help there...so I even got to squeeze in some time holding my niece from Chris's side of the family!


The juice was strained again, then placed into jugs...which were lidded and wiped down...then placed into the cooler!


Finishing up...


The sky was just breath-taking as the sun set...


It was an exhausting but enjoyable day! Do you like apple cider? I love it! If you are local, stop by the festival on Saturday...anytime from 9-5...we'll have good food, face painting, cider, craft booths, a hay maze, buggy rides and more! If you *aren't* able to come, I will be sure to share pictures of the day, here, for you to see! We are praying for good weather! 

Yesterday, I awoke at 4 in the morning with a terrible migraine. Thankfully, after much rest and prayer, I was feeling much better by the time the afternoon rolled in. Today, we are making up the schoolwork we weren't able to finish yesterday, due to my headache. We have accomplished some but have more to go. I best get going...Thank-you for visiting! :) 

"You will always have joy in the evening if you spend the day fruitfully." 
~Thomas a Kempis

"When I think upon my God, my heart is so full of joy that the notes dance and leap from my pen; and since God has given me a cheerful heart, it will be pardoned me that I serve Him with a cheerful spirit."
~Franz Joseph Haydn

Warmly,
Katy

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
1 Peter 1:2b

13 comments:

  1. Hello Katy I always look forward to seeing new posts from you. You have such a wonderful love for God and family and I love it....I am so glad that you and your family had a wonderful day on Sunday and the pictures from Sunday look wonderful especially that picture of the tree with the red leaves. Oh how I love Autumn. I wish I was local so that I could attend the Fall festival your pictures from last year look so fun. I also wanted to stop in and let you know that I have a new Fall tour video up of my home Fall decor if you would like to stop by and visit for awhile. Until then have a wonderful and blessed day dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful day for you! We are just starting to get a few colours on our trees in the mountains. I am so excited for Fall! The cider looks very yummy! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Katy...thanks so much for sharing about making the apple cider...I found it very interesting. But,then again I always find what you post interesting and very uplifting :) You have a very beautiful,heart warming blog....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now im going to have to go get a big jug of apple cider. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Katy for your beautiful note to me the other day. It encouraged my heart!!!
    Fall is truly my favorite season as well....The colours the crispness in the air...nothing compares! Hope you get good weather for the festival and the cider looks so delicious I can almost taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful fall leaf jar project. Thanks for the link to it.

    We have just finished making apple cider this year for the first time. It is so good. I ended up canning 66 quarts so that we can enjoy it year round. I think next year we will try some pear with it. What do you use to filter the cider?

    Have a wonderful day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect day for cider making!
    When I was a young child we went to a friend's house and got to press cider for the first time and it was so much fun. I can remember how sweet and how GOOD it was, and after reading your post I wish I could be that child again pressing cider!
    It's always a pleasure coming here, and I hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love those leaf jar things! very pretty! maybe i'll make myself one of those if i can find my mod podge!

    maybe we'll buy some cider this year... we'll see. i love it though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had such a lovely day.
    I would love to come to the festival but as I live in Australia I think that's just a bit too far away!
    Hope you all have a lot of fun!
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also forgot to mention Katy that I tagged you on my blog for a homeschooling questionaire if you would like to join in:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love apple cider. Fresh apple juice, clear or cloudy is my favourite drink. We have planted a Pink Lady apple tree in our orchard but I don't know whether it will ever get cold enough to give us a decent crop. Spring has arrived here, the orange trees are in blossom and the scent is heavenly. I have been making mulberry jam as our mulberry tree is laden with fruit - I race out each morning to pick the fruit before the birds get to the ripe berries.
    Have a most blessed week Katy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fall festivals - - I love this time of year!! So . . . How close are you guys to Wooster, OH?

    (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are about 3 hours east of Wooster, OH! :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy