Friday, September 16, 2011

"Every house where love abides...


...And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

I am so thankful for the love that abides here at home. Home is truly my favorite place to be. When I have been away from home, even for a short time, as soon as I walk through the door, it's as though I can breathe easier...such peace. I believe this same feeling will consume me, to an even larger degree, when it's time for me to leave this world. I will enter the *true* home God has prepared for me, earned through no work of my own...but because Jesus, through his perfect love and sacrifice, paid my way. It is only in Him do I have true *life*. He has cleansed my sin...and despite the fact that I deserve an eternity in the deepest, darkest dungeons of hell...He, in His beautiful love, saw my wretchedness and saved me, unmerited favor of God ~ for His glory! So now I live for Him, out of love and reverence of the Most High, looking forward to the day when I will spend every moment with Him. When the journey in this life is over...I will be truly *home*. I pray you know Him too...life can be such a struggle...but know that you are not alone. The One Who made you, loves you and will answer your cries to Him. If you haven't yet...it is time, now, to turn from the ways of sin and self...and trust in the Only One Who can save! Today...this moment...it's time. Repent and believe...put your hope in Jesus...and if I don't see you in this life, my sister in Christ, I *will* see you one day in our true home!



Yesterday was quite busy for me. After the children and I finished schooling and lunch we met with my mother-in-love to make a big batch of vegetable beef soup. We chopped carrots, onions, and celery. We opened up jars of green and yellow beans we canned in previous years and poured them into the pot, followed by corn, peas and lima beans! While it all cooked for a few hours, the children and I came home where they shucked corn. I blanched it, cut it from the cobs and then put it into freezer bags. It will be such a treat in the middle of winter!

While the children played later in the afternoon, I washed dishes and then made a batch of homemade laundry soap. The afternoon flew by...and before I knew it, it was time to begin supper prep! I made sausage gravy and homemade buttermilk biscuits. My father-in-love was busy at the meat market, but my mother-in-love was able to join us for supper. It was a nice time of conversation and laughter! Enjoyable supper times remind me of the movie I watched: "The Family Meal Table" by Nancy Campbell. :)

Following our meal, my mother-in-love and I went down to the meat market, where we had our soup cooking. We each had our jars ready to fill. After filling them up (oh how beautiful they look!) we each went to our own homes to can them! Mine didn't finish canning till close to 11pm, way past my bedtime! Chris, kind man that he is, offered to stay up and turn the stove off when it was finished!

I've been up since early this morning...I need to get going. I would like to get some knitting done before everyone else wakes. Once everyone starts rousing from sleep, I will need to pack Chris's lunch and send him off to work with a kiss. The children will need morning hugs and kisses and then a filling of their little tummies....and the day will officially begin! Schoolwork, laundry, and chores await!

Here are a few photos from *home*, before I go...

Madelyn, ironing freshly washed curtains...




Xavier, drifted off to sleep after a busy afternoon, earlier in the week...


On days of rain, candles and oil lamps were lit and enjoyed...


Homemade hamburger buns...



Cheesy scalloped potatoes....


At the beginning of this post, I have a picture of this oil lamp during the day...and here it is, all aglow at night...


And just for fun, a couple photos from many years ago! Here is my Christopher, as a new father! That's our Madelyn, there in his arms!


And last, but certainly *not* least, a photo taken after my graduation, of me with my great grandparents (who have now both passed to Glory)...


Thank you for visiting. It's always appreciated, friends! 
May your weekend be filled with Him! 
Warmly,
Katy

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
  1 Peter 1:2b

19 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing you sister Katy!! (: (:

    Have a wonderful weekend my friend!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Katy!

    Have a wonderful weekend with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post.

    The scalloped potatoes look delicious and freezing the corn reminds me of what I feed my family sometimes, you'll chuckle at this.

    We have what is called "CORN" night, Clean Out Refrigerator Night, any leftovers under three days old must get eaten before I toss them.

    When my daugher was younger and someone would ask her what she had for dinner, she would say "corn" and wouldn't say anything else, sort of crackes me up, like that is all I would feed her. Boy, what some people probably thought of me at that time, but, oh well, life goes on.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always a pleasure to read your blog. I just love your homey, christian posts. I always go away feeling peace and happiness. I too freeze our corn. It tastes so good in the winter.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post thanks for sharing..!have a lovely weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a Beautiful Post and wonderful day spent at home with your family. :) Every time I read your posts I feel like I am in your living room...It just draws me in and I Love It!!
    God Bless
    -Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been reading your blog very long, but I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy coming here. Such beautiful posts and you're a real inspiration.
    It's just a nice place to come and start the day with.
    Have a great weekend!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post! I love your photos! I feel the same way about our home - I love being home and love that our home can be filled with love. Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have I told you how encouraging your post are? Seriously, they really are. No matter what might be happening in my life you always pull be back and direct my heart in the right direction; His direction! Thank you.

    Have you ever canned soup with noodles in in? I have always wondered if that would work. My fear is that the noodles would seem like mush.

    Anyway, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely visit with you Katy...

    God Bless!
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post once again Katy. I truly love my home and know one day there is a better one waiting for me.
    God bless you and your family.

    Melissa:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful post, yes, we will meet together later on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how your life has simple rythm and ryme. Both of which is lacking for me right now but hopefully things will settle down soon. I love coming here to get a good dose of a simple peacefilled day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Home is a comforting place dear Katy....I am back home after a visit to my parents...I loved my time spent there with them both and the help I could offer them but,coming home was wonderful. I live alone now after raising my four children but,my door is open to grown children and grandchildren. All that was here to greet me as far as a living being was my old dog Duke :) But my humble home itself with its bits and corners seemed to sigh as I walked through the door....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you please share your scalloped potato recipe? And any other potato recipes you may have? We found a great deal recently on some potatoes, and currently have about 150 pounds of them in our garage!!! I make potato soup and freeze it. And we eat alot of mashed and baked potatoes, and we make wedges with them. But your scalloped potatoes look delicious!!! Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful Post!! I wanted to say "Thank You" for sharing your blog with us. You have opened "MY" eyes on many, many things, but especially on Serving Our Lord. I could go on and on...but I am sure you know where I am going from. Thank you again!!

    Have a Blessed Weekend:))

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree whole heartedly with your post. There truly is "no place like home." Imagine the feeling when we arrive at our heavenly home! Katy your blog always makes me feel so warm and cozy. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend and X is better.

    Blessings
    Tiffany
    www.theboydbunch.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to tell you, you write like we're best friends. I love that. Actually, we're sisters. I look forward to meeting you someday. Christ just shined all over your post today.

    God bless you...
    following...
    Laura Lane
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful, blessed days. It is nice to see your daughter ironing. A almost lost art. I learned to iron on my Father's dress shirts in the 1950's. It always amazes me how many households have no iron. MMMMMMMM way too many synthetics I think!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy