Saturday, September 10, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce Recipe


As promised, here is the spaghetti sauce recipe that I make and then can. It is a recipe from my sister-in-love's grandmother. 

Spaghetti Sauce
2-3 lbs. onions
2 green peppers
1 banana pepper

2 cloves minced garlic (or just put in garlic powder)
2 c. oil
4 - 12 oz. tomato paste
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. salt
2 T oregano
2 T basil
10 qts (give or take) tomato juice (preferably squeezed from your own tomatoes)

If you have a grinder, you can grind the first three ingredients...I do not...so I cut them all up and cooked them till they were soft. Then I mashed them up. :) 

I put all the tomato juice into a large electric roaster (although you can do it over the stove, if you would like). Then I added the mashed up ingredients and then the rest of the ingredients. Cook for 2 hrs (if over the stove) or for me, I had to cook it 4 hours in the roaster until it became as thick as I wanted it. 

Then, I ladeled the sauce into jars and sealed them. Then I water-bathed them. :o) I hope this is helpful to anyone who wants to try it! :) 

Kindly,
Katy

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. 
1 Peter 1:2b

12 comments:

  1. Your jars look sooo good! I'm going to try this recipe. Thanks! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have everything to make this recipe this afternoon. One question I had, how long do yo water bath this sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy,

    You process them in the water bath for 20 minutes....for quart jars. I am not sure for pints! :)

    Kindly,
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds wonderful!! Mmm I can almost smell it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy ... Big Thanks for posting
    the recipe...
    Warm Blessings / Hugs
    Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, I made a batch of this this morning, I used fresh tomatoes from my garden, ran them through the juicer, then added the peppers, onions, garlic and herbs. I was able to get 3 quarts and one pint, out of a peck basket of tomatoes, not bad. It sure looks yummy :)Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs
    ~Rhonda~

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks sooo yummy. Now I want spaghetti! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Hope you have a great weekend.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany
    www.theboydbunch.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this recipe. I'm excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks easy enough for me to try. Do you know how many quarts it makes and do you use fresh garlic or powder? I never cook with fresh garlic, little scared to I guess.

    Thanks,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy reading your posts about canning & the recipes you share. I have a question about fixing salsa I canned. I posted the question on my blog. If by chance you could share some sdvise I would be greatful. Thanks & Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy