Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thanks-*Giving*

I just finished the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. Beautiful, thought-provoking book that truly opens your eyes to what is around you. Inspired, I have begun my *own* list of 1,000 gifts that God has given me...from big ones to the minutest, I am listing them all. What an abundance God lays before me, daily, and has always gone, for the most part, unnoticed! The only way to have a deeper relationship with the One Who loves me most is to thank Him, consistently. The only way I can truly give *thanks* is to notice everything around me.

Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
~1 Thess. 5:16-18 (emphasis, mine)

I also began 2 other lists...although each just as important as the first. One is specifically focused on the *gift that is my husband* and the other, one, for the children. I find the more I list the beautiful things I love about them, the less I focus on the negatives. :) I have found this practice to be very rewarding. :)

Although I have finished the book...I do intend to read it again someday. For now, I am going to loan it out to a friend and maybe others, for them to receive the blessing God may have for them, in the words of Ann. Again, as I have before, I encourage you to read this book. Buy it, borrow it...either way...read it. You will be blessed.



Although I doubt Ann has found her way to my humble blog among the ga-zillions that are out and about in this blog-universe...I want to express my heart-felt gratitude to her for sharing her heart...every corner, exposed. Not an easy thing to do. She let God use her for His glory and I'm so thankful she obeyed His calling. Thank you, Ann.

(I wrestle in my head...Do I email and tell her I have written a bit of a review of her book, here on my blog, and leave her the link? Or do I just leave it as is...let those whose ears, or eyes in this case, it reaches and just let it be at that, trusting God will bring those to it as He wills? Yes, I think I will do just that. Leave it and if my heartfelt thanks never reaches Ann...then it will be as God wants it. And if it *does*, then may it warm her heart and encourage her in her ministry!)

Some recent things that have sent my heart a-flame with gratitude...

Mississippi, John Wayne, and the sheriff...all ready to ride off on their trusty steads...

Good books...

Beautiful blankets of snow, outside...giving me the chance to thank God for the heat He has supplied us with, in-doors....

The many, sweet, animated faces of Jaxson (who has recently gotten a hair-cut!)...




Our humble home, a work in progress, full of love and joy...

My Christopher...

Aprons...

My beautiful sister (doesn't she look fabulous?) and her precious new daughter, Eloise...

Chris and I were incredibly blessed to take a trip to visit them, after church, today! We had a wonderful time of talking, laughter and baby-snuggling! She is even wearing the new hat I knit her (since the other one I made is too big at the moment)! I was so excited that this hat fits perfectly! :)
Blessed? Yes, yes we are. Abundantly! :)

There is more...more I could write about. More on my heart and mind. But for now...I must close. It's getting late and I am exhausted. I hear my Ruthie-dog snoring in the background as I type, and I must admit my longing to be doing the same! ;)

So, I will be back again, as time allows. Until then, let me close by giving thanks to *you* for visiting me.

Joyfully,
Katy :)
He must increase, but I must decrease. ~John 3:30

17 comments:

  1. I haven't read very far in my book yet, but the cover is so beautiful and, too, the words that I have devoured.

    I love that you are making the three lists. When my husband pastored (now teaching) I always told the new brides-to-be to never let another person hear them say anything negative about their husband. I wish I would have had your idea of writing down the blessings of husbands.

    Your sweet niece makes me really eager to meet my new grandson--due 2 days ago! He'll be here when he's ready; I'm hoping that is soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics and thanks for the link to Amazon, I've been wanting to buy that book:) Your niece is just too cute in her hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That list is a GREAT idea! I think I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post. I love reading your blog and the ideas for the list is wonderful I think I really need to try that with my own sons. I am ordering the book this weekend. Many blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful post Katy, so full of surrender to the Lord and love for Him and for your husband and family.

    I am reading "The God of all comfort" by Hannah Whitall Smith at the moment and it has been a revelation to me in the same way as this book has been to you. God is so good.

    Your sister and baby niece are beautiful.

    Have a blessed day friend!

    PS. You have beautiful handwriting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post and photos! I haven't read the book yet but I hope to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try to find that book. You've piqued my interst with your wonderful review of the book.

    I love the three cowboys. Cute picture.

    That little Eloise is adorable. I told my 85 year old sis Eloise about the new baby and she was thrilled that a new little one has the same name. :)

    I like the idea of writing down of the blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog so full of love.
    Blessings from France

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to make a list! With all of our changes lately, I've been getting critical. Thank you for the idea!!
    I bet if my hands could write fast enough, I could thank God for 1000 things in 5 minutes!
    Your sister and neice are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many blessings, to many to count really....I am humbled by God's grace.

    Beautiful post, Katy

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness Katy, I'm so very thankful that God led me to your blog. You are very special - - Keep up the good work!!

    I really enjoy the pictures of your family and home (beautiful)! That little Jaxson just cracks me up though (even in some of the earlier posts) - - He reminds me of my oldest boy with his facial expressions.

    Enjoy your week with many, many blessings!

    Smiles and well wishes sent your way! (from Louisville) (: (:

    * Getting the book and starting my list(s) as well this week!
    Thank ya sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the beautiful post
    so enjoy coming to your blog...
    Such a sweet sister and little
    percious niece...

    And sharing the link...I want to
    read this book....

    Blessings/Hugs
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how precious Eloise is. Beautiful photo of Mom & Baby! It is so wonderful you & your sister have each other. I follow her blog also & enjoy her chats too. All the kids at play so fun to be a part of it. I know you give God all the credit & glory. Amen! It is wonderful you let God use you threw your blog. I feel it takes an effort to put together your posts. Others are blessed by them. I always feel welcome here. I have never seen a full photo of your home intil this post. You call it a work in progress. Your home is beautiful. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katy, I love visiting your blog. I added the book in my wish list and hope to be able to purchase it soon. I am looking forward to reading it. Your niece is so cute in her hat. Such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katy,

    Oh, how beautiful is God who shines through you! I stopped by because of the link on Facebook. I am also reading One Thousand Gifts. My intention is to read along with the Bloom (In)Courage Book Club.

    I hope you keep the part of Heath's wife in The Choice. I love your humble spirit and Cecilia obviously loves you too.

    Hugs and warm thoughts being sent your way!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katy,
    This sounds like a wonderful book. A grateful heart is a beautiful gift and a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful blog sister! How nice it would have been to have the internet when I was homeschooling to make the world smaller and more available.

    I loved Ann's book too, I love rehearsing my blessings on paper. You can connect with Ann if you are on facebook or twitter and send her a message that way.

    God bless your weekend!

    ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy