Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Strengthening of Character

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. ~Helen Keller

As a Christian woman, my deepest longing is to reflect certain qualities in my character, distinct characteristics that set me apart...for His glory and not my own. When I am seen standing in honesty and truth... I want others to know that I *am* a child of the King and that I am living *for* Him! May I use each trial and struggle in my life to improve my character and mold it after His.

I made a list of my desired qualities that I strive to be, daily, always keeping in mind that I fall short each and every day. I am so thankful that He already knows my faults and shortcomings. He restored me...those many years ago...He knew I couldn't measure up, but loved me so much that He wanted me to know that *it's OK, it has been taken care of for me and now He just wants the best I can give...and know that He will make up for the rest!* I am so glad I belong to Him! I know I couldn't do it without Him, those burdens are just too much for me to bear.

Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

~1 Peter 5:6-7


We all need to know *who* we are, what makes up our being? What posesses our thoughts, energy and time? Many women say they need to "find themself"...but if you are a woman after God's own heart ~ to find out who *you* are...you need to know Him....His traits and characteristics. Then, when you mold yourself to His likeness...you will reflect those beautiful and perfect qualities as well!

May I be like Jesus...

With a heart to serve. May I have a selfless and giving attitude to those in need.

With an overflowing kindness for others. Always having the desire to go *above and beyond* for each and every soul that I come in contact with.

With a deeply rooted heart of compassion. To feel the pain of others and do what I can to comfort them in their time of deepest struggle.

With a spirit that is ever-loving those around me. Including, and maybe especially, those who most would label *unlovable*. May I always see the inner workings of each person's heart and not the rough shelled exterior.

With the warmth, softness and gentleness that a woman has been given by her Creator. May the warmth I posess soften even the coldest heart. May I always bring forth the meek and quiet spirit that my God so loves. (1 Peter 3:4)

With my human weaknesses. May His strength be shown through me when I fall short.

With a forgiving spirit. May I always be able to forgive even the most grievance offense, as an example to those around me. May they see His love shine as forgiveness is passed out freely around me.

With a pure and humble heart. May I always keep my focus on whatsoever things are true, noble, upright, honest and lovely. May my eyes always stay on His goodness and perfection and on nothing of my own. (Phillipians 4:8)

With unending generosity. May I expend all the gifts God has given me to uplift others...whether it be time, money or energy. May I exhaust every last ability I have in giving...so when it is time for me to go from this life to the next, I may proceed, confident that I have not held any good thing back. May I do it *all* to His glory and *none* of my own.

And may I live, each day, mindful of this...


He must increase, but I must decrease.
~John 3:30


Know, please, that the God Who loves me, loves you too! He loves your heart and the kindness and love that abide there. He loves you just where you are. You don't have to be anyone else but *you*. You don't have to be like me (one of me in this world is enough! ;) or like sweet Ann V. or like tender-hearted Jewels. You have to be just who God made *you* to be. God gave you special gifts. Use what He gave you, for His glory.

And before I start my day...I leave you with pictures taken lately!

A puzzle the children and I put together the other evening (a gift from my mom for Christmas as she knows I am a fan of Mary Engelbreit)...


The table all set for supper.


...with fun drinking glasses...


Jars, from canned veggies we have been enjoying. It is so rewarding and satisfying to enjoy the fruits of your labor in the middle of the cold, snowy winter! :)

Bread made and cooling while the dough for homemade rolls rises in the background...

The rolls, all finished and ready for supper...

And a few more...


I hope you have an absolutely wonderful rest of the week.
We are anxiously and patiently awaiting for the phone call from my sister, letting us know when her sweet child's birthday will be! It could be today...it could be tomorrow...it could be next week! Oh it's so exciting and knowing that God's timing is perfect, I know that day will be filled with beauty and joy!

Thank you each, again, for stopping by. Although the comments don't always reflect it, there are actually hundreds who visit daily. What a humbling realization that is. I am just one small, simple gal who is striving to live a life for Jesus. That you take the time to visit, read, and sometimes leave me a little note through comments or email...is just amazing to me! I am so thankful that I can share my love for my Jesus, my family and my home with you. :)

I need to go, as I am now running a bit behind in my day. I am usually downstairs by 5:30 or so each morning...notso today!

Warm wishes for a beautiful day!

Katy :)


He must increase, but I must decrease.
~John 3:30

18 comments:

  1. Blessings to you, too, Katy. You are a great hostess! I always enjoy my visit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Katy.... we should all strive for such things! (easier said than done... but worth the effort!)

    (that one roll looks like a toadstool mushroom... hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post, Katy. I really like the idea of making a "to be" list instead of a "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy!Is that the Amish bread recipe? I tried it yesterday and let me tell ya ,it was delicious.I posted some pictures on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your post. I loved the pictures, and the bread and rolls look delicious. Everything looks so cozy.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the 'Qualities List' you made, Katy! One that deserves to be written down by all women. God Bless you this day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy my visit here:) God bless you as you do your work for him today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "if you are a woman after God's own heart ~ to find out who *you* are...you need to know Him....His traits and characteristics. Then, when you mold yourself to His likeness...you will reflect those beautiful and perfect qualities as well!"

    What an uplifting post. I love coming to your blog and reading about your deep love for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You speak with such love and peace Katy. Its almost like I can hear your voice when I read your posts. You are definitely earning your heavenly rewards here on earth. You are in inspiration to so many of us by just being yourself.
    Many hugs,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post Katy. Your rolls and bread always look so perfect, mine never seems to rise that nicely. Any suggestions? I can't wait to hear the news about your sister. I remember how excited I was waiting for my sister to deliver my niece. Keeping her in my prayers... many blessings to you and your family.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Katy,
    Another lovely summers day here in eastern Australia. Love the idea of of the qualities list. Also really love those red and white spot plates. Have a great weekend.

    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are awesome blessing to Blog
    World.. makes one really think
    About the Strength of ones
    Character...Fruits of the Spirit..
    It's a Daily Walk....
    Hugs / Blessings...
    Trish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love stopping by for a visit! You are always so positive and uplifting.

    I am sure that the littles loved their special cup!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katy,

    This post was so lovely. Oh reading your list was like reading my own hearts desire. Of course with my own uniquness. Smiles!

    Your table was beautiful. Thanks for sharing this and the scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your home looks so warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the post.

    And I have to say, I love that puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your post is really beautiful and edifying. Thankyou. May God bless you.With love, from kerala, India

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy