Wednesday, January 5, 2011

At Home

The days are heading back to a sort of normalcy around here after the busy seasons before. Summer is busy with the garden and birthdays. Fall is busy with my inlaws fall festival prep, more birthdays, Thanksgiving, deer season, Christmas prep (and the magical, wonderful day itself) and finally the New Year. I (as my township's tax collector) stay busy with doing taxes and such when they need receipting and such.

Schooling is *back in session*. I have turned the *schoolroom* into a basic storage area for school supplies, books and such. It is just plain easier to sit around the dining room table, together, to accomplish our schooling for the day. After schooling is finished, often, the children will bundle up in hats, gloves and winter coats and go out to play as although still cold in these parts, the snow is gone! (I am sure that won't last long though!) Indoor play consists of puppet shows, legos, drawing and coloring. We enjoy a rest-time most days.....usually in the middle of the afternoon when eyelids are heavy and in need of rest. We have continued devotions as well as reading Little House on the Prairie (the children love it, usually begging for me to read another chapter!).

Amongst the ins and outs of laundry-washing, bread-making, school-teaching, house-cleaning and the like, when I can get a few moments to read, I do (although it mostly happens after my devotion time, in the morning, or right before bed). I finished reading The Shaping of a Christian Family...which I mentioned in THIS post. It was a great book...I definitely recommend it. Now I have begun reading Passionate Housewives Desperate for God. So far, I am really gleaning much from it and am so glad God led me to read it! Have you read this book...if so, what are your thoughts on it? :)

A few other books I have on my To-Read list...


Truly, being at home is my most favorite place to be. I know I have mentioned that, previously, many, many times before. But it really is true. :) I have a sincere passion to encourage women (especially mothers) that there is a *need* for us to be home, with our children. We don't need more *stuff*...and neither do our children.

I read a statistic that really bothered me...60% of children ages 10-14 have cell phones!!! I know, everyone has a "reason" why their young children "need" them...but seriously? Are you away from your children so much that they need a cell phone for you to keep track of them? That really saddens me. It really doesn't seem right.

Children are such a *gift*. I know many women, unable to have children, who wish they could! Why don't more women treasure it? If you haven't...you may want to check out what I wrote HERE.

I have continued making bread weekly...and even found a new roll recipe that we really enjoyed and I hope to share with you, soon!


I have finished the gift I have been knitting for my sister's sweet new baby (due in a few short weeks!!)
Since they don't know if they are having a girl or boy, I chose to do the outside of the hat in yellow. I lined it in white...it's the first hat I have ever put a lining in! It turned out so thick and cozy...it will be warm and just perfect for the newest addition to the family! :)


The boys, before bed, in their matching pajamas...

I am so thankful for you...it gives me such joy to share my simple love of God, family, friends and home with each of you. It encourages me to know some of you find my blog uplifting and inspirational. It blesses me, immensely, when I hear that God has used me to encourage, convict or urge your heart to live for Him. :)

I am looking forward to what 2011 holds for our family...and each of you. Thank you for choosing to visit me, here at this place. I love meeting and making new friends from all over the world! What a gift that is!

I hope you will come back again, soon!

Kindly,
Katy :)

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. ~Ephesians 3:16-20

23 comments:

  1. Katy,
    I've read Passionate Housewives and Raising Maidens, they are both really good. I want to go back an read passionate housewives again, using a highlighter. I tend to read everything that way. I have been a reader of your blog for sometime. I have one started, just need to work on it.LOL! Have a blessed day (evening).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy,I have been following your blog for a while and you are a INSPIRING person.I feel the same way that you do about being a stay-at-home mother.I have been saying it over and over on my blog,I might sound like a broken record BUT it sure feels good to tell it how it is!!!!!!I need to find a roll recipe,mind if I borrow yours??The funny thing is about our old schoolroom is back to our dining room and I use the shelves that hubby put up for school storage,we like sitting at the table not being at seperate tables(felt too much like PS).
    Sorry for taking so long.
    BLessings from your follower Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. passionate housewife is my all time favorite book LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy, I also have been a follower
    of you blog..Yes I agree with Jamie you are a very"INSPIRING" beautiful person,Thanks for sharing
    what you are reading, I'm always
    looking for good christian books to
    read.
    Hugs / Blessings
    Trish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it wonderful to be where God wants you? I'm so happy that you take the time to write and inspiring and encouraging post for others to read. Sometimes, as I'm driving home from the city, I see so many women hurrying home and I wonder who is caring for their families. Seeing so many wandering kids around town kind of answers that- no one at home! And the sad thing is that few of those women will realize what they missed or why their families are such a mess.
    I enjoy your blog and will visit often. Hope you can find time to visit my blog, as I just posted something similar :D
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy,

    I loved Passionate Housewives! Very good and encouraging..I have also read Raising Maidens of virtue with my two older daughters and may read it with my younger two soon...seems as if it is one to go over more than once...

    I would love to read the other books in your stack...I think we are on a similar path as you...

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. that hat turned out so cute! You're very good at knitting now! I'm sure your sister will love it.
    I always love visiting you here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy,
    I am one of those women that was never able to bear my own children and went through a literal "valley" in my life for nearly 10 years. I relied on our Heavenly Father for comfort and he answered my prayers when my husband and I were able to adopt not one, but two beautiful baby boys 20 months apart. I found Psalm 113 before our adoptions and couldn't believe my eyes. But I just wanted to say that women like you who value staying at home and consider it an honor to serve their husbands and children are an incredible blessing! The world tells us to send our children away and go make money, have a real life, etc. Thank you Katy for expressing truth on your blog and being a light in this world for women! Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, that hat is adorable! How cute baby will look in it.

    Passionate Housewives is on my wish list. I have heard many wonderful things about it.

    Home is a great place to be... I am so glad to connect with others that feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Katy,
    I enjoy reading your blog, it's encourage me to be a homemaker like you.
    Blessings from France

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, have read Passionate Housewives...with a highlighter! :) It is a great book and excellent tool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I agree...mothers are so needed at home. Thanks for being one more good example of a keeper at home:-) Have a blessed day!
    Kat @livingrighteouslyandgodly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year to you and your wonderful family. Every child should be as fortunate as your children. Did you see our exciting news for the new year? I am looking forward to following you and yours through another year.
    Love ya!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi katy, i'm sheron from Switzerland. i'v been following your blog for some time,but I couldn't comment since i didnot have blog but today i create one and looking forward to paticipate with your blog thank you and regards to your wonderful family

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there Katy,

    Happy New Year!

    I thoroughly enjoy following your blog. Thank you so much sweet lady - - for all that you share! I was just thinking the other day that I would like to also see a recent picture of you; and "whalah" there it was. Mamas usually get left out for being the family photographer most of the time. (:

    Would you mind to share what the colors represent on your Christmas tree chain? Also for the Q and A section of your blog: Are you and Chris high school sweethearts and how did you know that he was "the one"? My teenage daughter also reads your blog with me. I hope that we're not asking too personal of a question. (:

    Smiles and well wishes from
    Louisville, KY

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have many books I am reading too. I love being at home too. I don't go out much. I thank God everyday, that he led my husband and I down this road.One of my neighbors ask me how we could afford it with four children. I was happy to tell her. She wants to stay home but doesn't want her cjildren to miss out on life thats what she said. I told her they wouldn't because they would have there Mom with them. If you wouldn't mind I would like to know the recipe for your bread. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will look for the book you are reading... looks great! You have a beautiful life and I wish more women had a heart for home and family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm new to your blog. It's lovely. I could have written word for word what you said about your homeschool day. We start the day with a bible lesson. With the new year we are starting at Genesis. I am having the children draw a picture after each lesson of what they learned. I am hoping to turn them into a book for them when we finish. I have not read Passionate Housewives Desperate for God although I have heard great things about it. My library doesn't have it and I'm trying to stick with a tight budget right now. I find your blog very encouraging! It's a warm place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another lovely post Katy. xx

    Your boys look so cute in their matching PJs, like twins!

    Your knitted hat is perfect and I love the little ears! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always look for a new post on your blog. Your sisters new little wee one will look so cute & cuddly in the new cap. Happy New Year & Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've become quite the excellent knitter!! Adorable!
    Having been on both sides of the fence (working mom..and now at home mom)...I am glad I had the opportunity in the end to be at home, but for the first 8 years of being a mom, there was absolutely no way I could be at home, no matter how much I wanted to. My 13 year old does have a cell phone...and it's not that we are away from each other much, but it's more for convenience, if she and her friends go for a walk, or she's outside at a friend's house. It was her birthday present and she loves it. I do think it's better for one parent to be at home....providing it is possible..
    I enjoy your posts!

    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Katy,
    I was scanning through your blog trying to find the post where you turned your blog into a book and I was wondering if you could tell me where that post is. I am thinking about doing mine and I was wanting to kinda get an idea on how to go about it.
    I LOVE your blog. It is just so humble & beautiful.
    Thanks,Sandy Howell mom2five@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Mister gave Passionate Housewives, to me, for Christmas and I can't wait to dig into it. I've been reading your blog for a little while now and I just want you to know how my heart sings when I read about you making bread, staying at home with your children and how you love the role of Housewife. As an older housewife, I truly feel sorry for those who don't chose this path...my daughters included. They don't get to experience the rewards that come with the title. God Bless you, dear one!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy