Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gather Together

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family.
~ Thomas Jefferson

The family is the corner stone of our society. More than any other force it shapes the attitude, the hopes, the ambitions, and the values of the child. And when the family collapses it is the children that are usually damaged. When it happens on a massive scale the community itself is crippled. So, unless we work to strengthen the family, to create conditions under which most parents will stay together, all the rest — schools, playgrounds, and public assitance, and private concern — will never be enough.
~Lyndon Baines Johnson(emphasis, mine)


My family...the greatest gift God has given me. Each member unique, and just who God made them to be. Each of us have our faults and short-comings. We don't live a life of perfection...but we *do* live a life of love, faith and joy. Lots of laughter fills the rooms of my home...but at time there are tears. There are times of correction and discipline. It takes an equal balance. The most important thing to have in your home though is love. Correct out of love, not anger. Spend time with your children. Love, Love, Love the precious moments you have with your children, for each phase in their life passes so quickly...and they grow in the blink of an eye.

A great place to gather together with your family is around the supper table! :)

Every good cook needs a good assistant...

Homemade noodles...ready to be cooked...


Beef and noodles, all ready for supper...

Green beans from the garden plus a few other ingredients makes....

...green bean casserole! A favorite in our house!

Peanut Butter Button cookies for dessert. Aren't they cute? I found the recipe HERE...

Another way to gather with your family is through educating your children at home...


Teaching, reading together, baking, cooking, coloring, knitting...education comes in so many different forms! Even if you don't choose to homeschool your children, *educating* them is so much more! The giving of your time, energy and attention is what will nuture and strengthen your family. They don't need extra stuff, gadgets and gizmos to keep them entertained. They need *you*. :)

“Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children.”
~Charles R. Swindoll

What kind of memories are your children having deposited into their *banks*? What things take up most of their time? Everyone's situation is different and I don't mean to tell you how to parent. I just mean to encourage you...as I have found encouragement from others. Your children are entrusted to you by God. They don't come with instructions attached at birth...however, we do have the *best* instructions breathed from the Creator, Himself! Here are just a mere few of them...

Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.
~Prov. 29:17

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
~Ephesians 6:4

Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.
~Colossians 3:21

Love your children.
Pray for your children.
Give attention to your children.
Teach and Correct your children.
Be encouraged and know that none of us are perfect...we all just keep striving to do what's best and right, each day. :)

A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking, it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking.
~Helen Rice

Some photos to share with you...

Wheat bread, fresh from the oven...

Another knitting WIP...

I love the Lego creations that children come up with! The imagination they put into their little creations is just fantastic!



Madelyn, reading different Psalms to us, last evening (another great way to gather together as a family)...

Xavier made his very own football outfit. (The shoulder pads are baseball gloves!) The slipper in his left hand, the football. :)

And, since the hat I knitted for my niece, Eloise, before she was born, is too big for her right now, I decided to whip up another one for her. And now that I know she is a *she*...I got to use some soft, yellow and pink yarn...

I hope you are encouraged today. I speak in love...admitting that I fall short, daily. I have a love for strong family units. We need to reach the world with the love of Christ...but we *must* start with our families first. :)

I need to go. Lots to do today. Wishing you a beautiful end of the week!
Thanks, so much, for visiting.
Kindly,
Katy :)
He must increase, but I must decrease.
~John 3:30

9 comments:

  1. Katy, "What a Wonderful Life" for your family. I enjoyed reading and seeing the great things that are going on in your home. Seeing the Legos, brought back memories of our son and the amazing things he built. We still have some of his creations saved upstairs along with Star War figures, etc. I can't wait to see Eloise in her new knit hat--love the colors. I saw a bunting knitted in those colors. I sure hope your sister is doing okay. You have the dream of what it is going to be like to have a baby but then reality sets in. I was not one of those moms that had a baby to sleep all night right away and both of mine had colic. It was rough but it would not tread that experience for anything. Now, I am so excited waiting for our son and daughter-in-law to bless us with another grandbaby. We find out next week what it is to be. It doesn't matter, just so that everything goes okay and it is healthy.
    Love you!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We strive to spend as much time together as possible too! It always gives me a warm and cozy feeling and I pray that our children are feeling it too! Your home and family look like you all share many warm and cozy moments! Have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family is just so special! My husband and I have a baby girl and another baby due next summer. We just cherish time together, and are looking forward to a cozy evening in front of the fire after some very busy days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, refreshing post! Your kids would get along great with mine---they love legos too! Love the lil football player. lol
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. The family is so important. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy being welcomed to your warm & loving home. I love what you said about children don' Blet come with instructions attached at birth. But we have the best instruction breathed into us by the Creator Himself. So true. Eloise's hat is pretty & like the way you used the mason jar to display it. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that family is so important and should be a priority. Love this post! The hat for Eloise is cute, cute cute and the cookies are adorable. Megan and I will making those next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy, I enjoyed your post and your closing comments. I love your photos and it is indeed a blessing that we can encourage one another by sharing our love of family.
    Have a great weekend.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy