Monday, January 10, 2011

Simple Living: A Matter of the Heart


I had a question from momto9 on the Q and A post that I thought deserved it's own post...as it may be a long answer! Here was the question:

I was wondering...was your life always simple///was it ever rat race~ey:) How did the process of "simplificat
ion" Take place. I'd love to hear your journey of how the life that you live now came to be!




Honestly, it's hard for me to imagine how different my life is from any others'. But, I guess I embraced a more simplistic lifestyle in my *heart* two or three years ago. As my faith grew and strengthened, my desire for simplicity increased. I wanted to slow things down a bit.

I think as a homemaker and mother...I need to be at *home*. I need to be focused on how I can best care for my husband and children. Baking and cooking from scratch is something I can do...so why not? You don't have to bake bread and food from scratch to be a good wife or mother...but it is a way I feel that I can serve my family best. :)


I hang laundry out on the line whenever I can because it saves money and I love the smell of line-dried clothes! I use a washer just like most people (although I have seriously contemplated going the no-electric way with washing clothes!).



We garden to save money as well. Plus, there is nothing like your *own* home-grown food to eat. It's a lot of hard work...but soooo worth it. It is also a wonderful way for your children to learn the meaning of hard work, responsibility and teamwork! I also can a lot of the food we harvest.

We homeschool because we feel it is what God led us to do and that it is the absolute best thing for our children. We also like to be able to make sure our values are instilled in our children rather than the school's.


I knit because I enjoy it and I am able to lovingly create gifts for loved ones. Nowadays, homemade gifts can be a rare treat for people. Hats, dishcloths, sweaters, mittens, scarves, blankets...all able to be knit and *homemade* for people, rather than bought. It doesn't make me a better wife or mother...I just try to use the gifts God gave me to provide for my family and friends.

Wearing a skirt, I feel, is a privilege. It helps me to feel like a woman. It helps me feel that I am dressing modestly and appropriately. Does one *have* to wear skirts to be a good mother or wife? Definitely not! :) It's just something *I* prefer.

"Why do women want to dress like men when they’re fortunate enough to be women? Why lose femininity, which is one of our greatest charms? We get more accomplished by being charming than we would be flaunting around in pants and smoking. I’m very fond of men. I think they are wonderful creatures. I love them dearly. But I don’t want to look like one. When women gave up their long skirts, they made a grave error…"
~ Tasha Tudor



"I enjoy doing housework, ironing, washing, cooking, dishwashing. Whenever I get one of those questionaires and they ask what is your profession, I always put down housewife. It's an admirable profession, why apologize for it. You aren't stupid because you're a housewife. When you're stirring the jam you can read Shakespeare."
~ Tasha Tudor


I love using old-fashioned items as well as decorating with them. I love candles and oil lamps, soft music and warmth. I enjoy raising my children to have a love for the outdoors and to know the One Who made that beautiful creation! :) Homemaking and mothering seem to be *just* what I was created for! If you go HERE you can see some links to some posts about homemaking!

For many years, I was very selfish. I wasn't focused on serving my husband and our home. I was focused on what would make me happy. As God drew me closer to Him...and I started studying His Word and learning more and more about how a Godly woman is to be...I realized and repented of my terribly selfish ways. Now I try to live my life as a servant...as well as I can. I still fail and goof up. I am terribly imperfect. But now, my life is what I had always wanted it to be...full of love and focused on family. It's hard work...harder than I ever expected....but it truly is the best...to be living for God and loving Him by serving others.


So, I am not sure how my life differs from others. Sometimes, I seem to live in a bubble where I think everyone lives this way. I think living simply is mostly a matter of the heart. Feeling the need to get *back to the basics* and enough with "stuff".

I hope I have made sense. Sometimes, I am not sure if I properly express what I am trying to say. My life may be very different than yours...or very similar. It doesn't matter where you live...it's about your heart!

Wishing you each a wonderful day!
Warmly,
Katy

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. ~Ephesians 3:16-20

13 comments:

  1. Katy, I am always blessed by your blog posts...thank you for always sharing what's on your heart!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You speak from your heart Katy and that is what makes you so special. I admire you as a wife, mother and friend.
    Hugs and Blessings,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Katy, what a lovely post! I feel the same way on a lot of the things you mentioned. I just never seem to express it as well as you did.

    At times it is hard because others judge me. They look at me weird when I tell them that we are home most of the time. I don't feel the need to belong to play groups or have Megan scheduled in an activity every day. My heart is truly content to be home taking care of my family!

    Blessing to you as you looketh well to the ways of your household! Proverbs 31:27

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I love the simplicity of your life, from one simple mom to another!! :) Even tho we are FAR from simple minded. :) :)
    We got some chickens over the weekend (a miracle, I think, from the Lord) and I plan to post about them tomorrow. Stop by. So excited to have some 'girls'. :)
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Katy,

    Enjoyed your post today (however, I always enjoy reading your posts)! Our family also tries our best to "live simply." I feel like it is a definite journey to do this. We are always striving to simplify even more. People always tell me..."ohh I don't have time to make my own laundry detergent or I have no time to make bread!" It is funny because they have time to do so many things (that cost money) that I do not feel I personally have time to do.

    Just wanted to say that I appreciate your posts! Take care!

    In Christ,

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living simply is....simply living.
    It is so wonderful how you can enjoy, experience, savor life when you simplify and get rid of so many distractions.
    You also have a loving way of explaining a simpler lifestyle.
    Kudos, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful post, Katy. I love reading your blog. You always speak straight to the heart. <3

    Btw...I finally made bagels! I used the recipe you posted on here and they came our great. I even blogged about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Katy.

    You summed it up well. It's about your heart, and that is so true. God has given us a blueprint for the best life we can have. I'm nearing 60 years young and I'm learning so much. Each day in His Word, He gives me little gems of wisdom which I try to incorporate into my life. It's an adventure and some days are better than others but we get a new beginning each morning and how great is that.
    Still loving your writings.
    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Katy.

    You summed it up well. It's about your heart, and that is so true. God has given us a blueprint for the best life we can have. I'm nearing 60 years young and I'm learning so much. Each day in His Word, He gives me little gems of wisdom which I try to incorporate into my life. It's an adventure and some days are better than others but we get a new beginning each morning and how great is that.
    Still loving your writings.
    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love living simply.It's a good thing I do. It really helps me feel content,now that I am retired and living on less to know I don't need all the "stuff".

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely answered the questions posed in a straightforward from the heart way. I love how you are able to put your 'feelings' into words.
    And simplicity never changes even when the children are grown and there's just the two of you, as in our case. DH and I both feel now, more than ever, we put our simple ways first and avoid the distractions and complexity of the world.
    Wonderful post, Katy!
    Hugs,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that post. Thankyou for sharing from your heart. I too feel this way as the world pulls us deeper and deeper into the rat race. Im just heart sick over people today. They have lost whats truly important. Faith and family. Sopmetimes its hard to be different. Alot of the time for the kids. But one day I pray they will see that what we held dear to us were not things, or activities, but family and God.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make me smile. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy