Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls

I have found the *best* recipe for cinnamon rolls! It is absolutely delicious! I made them yesterday and then invited my parents over for supper. We enjoyed eggs, toast, bacon, potatoes and of course, cinnamon rolls! I will share my condensed version of the recipe, for you...but the entire cookbook it came from is fabulous! You can purchase one, for a decent price, HERE! **This book also has the recipe for the soft pretzels I made HERE! :)

Here are the ingredients you will need:

*Dough*

1/4 c. warm water
1 pkg active dry yeast (I use a Tbs. from my container of yeast)
1 tsp. plus 1/4 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. milk
4 Tbs. butter, softened
1 tsp. salt
3 large egg yolks
4 c. all-purpose flour

*Filling*

4 Tbs. butter, melted
1/2 c. brown sugar
cinnamon

*Glaze*

1 c. powdered sugar
5 tsp. water


*Directions (in Katy-form!)*

1. In a small bowl, combine warm water, yeast and 1 tsp. granulated sugar; stir to dissolve. Let stand for 5 min. (until foamy).

2. In a large bowl, (with a mixer or by hand) blend yeast mixture with milk, butter, 1/4 c. sugar, salt, egg yolks and 3 3/4 c. flour.

3. Knead dough (I do it *in* the bowl) for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic (using the last 1/4 c. flour as needed to keep it from sticking).

4. Shape into a bowl and place in large, greased bowl (I use my yellow-ware bowl like I use for my bread). Cover and let rise until double in size (Again, I use the same procedure for this as I do with my bread).

5. When dough is ready, punch it down and set it on a lightly floured board/counter. Cover and let it rest for 15 minutes. Then, roll the dough into a 18" by 12" rectangle. Prepare the filling...mixing the melted butter and brown sugar together and brushing it all over the dough. Then sprinkle on as much (or less) cinnamon on the dough.

6. Time to roll it up! Roll the dough up, jelly-roll-style. Then, using a piece of string/yarn, cut the dough into equal slices. I layed these, pretty side up, in a buttered casserole dish. (The book recipe says to refridgerate at least 12 hours but I didn't do this and they still turned out wonderfully!)

7. Bake rolls in a 375* preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Then, mix up the glaze ingredients and drizzle over the hot rolls! (I should have sifted my powdered sugar, as it had a few clumps in it, I realized, after drizzling!)

Delicious!


I hope you enjoy these as much as we did! If you try out the recipe, please let me know! I would love to hear what you think about them! They are definitely a favorite at our house! :)

Warmly,
Katy :)
He must increase, but I must decrease. ~John 3:30

15 comments:

  1. Thanks KAty, I will have to try theses they look so good

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look yummy. I always make mine out of frozen bread dough. I picked up a recipe this week that frosts them with chocolate cream cheese icing... yum... can't wait to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm... i want these... they look so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy,I love visting your blog. It is like coming over for coffee. I am so encouraged about homemaking, homeschooling after being here:)
    I thought I had the best recipe!!!! I found my recipe in Joni McCoy's book-Miserly Moms{you can get it at the library if you do not have a copy). They taste just like the one's at the mall! We love these. They even taste good the next day warmed up. Give them a try.
    Teresa in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY!!!! Those look awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy, I am putting these on my to try list!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Wishing you a most blessed day!♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! One day you really should open a bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried Nen's chili recipe last week. So good! Your cinnamon rolls will be a great dessert with them. I will be going to the kitchen to see if I have every thing needed. Thanks! Yours look so warm & yummy. Blessings ! Lara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting the recipe! I am going to make them soon - I love cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome Thanks for Sharing
    Will have to make these for
    sure... yummmy....
    Your Blog is always so warm
    and loving, caring, :-)

    Hugs.. /Blessings
    Trish - Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi katy,
    thanks for the recipes!!!!!!
    they look so good.
    have a blessing day,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made cinnamon rolls for my brother's math class just yesterday! And I thought the same thing - it's so much like baking bread. Looks soo yummy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow katy, looks delich...My goodness..
    thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The rolls turned out yummy this morning! I wonder if I could freeze the second pan? Have you ever done that? Thank you again. Happy Saturday, Angelia in Tx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried to freeze them...ours always get eaten too quickly! ;)
      I am glad you all enjoyed them and if you do freeze them, you will have to let me know how it works for you! :)

      Delete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy