Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bumblin' Me

A rambling, of sorts, today. Different things to share, in no particular sequence or theme!

**A Birthday**

Good friends of ours have a daughter, whom we adore, that turned two years old today! I was so excited to find her a sweet apron as her birthday gift! (Isn't it adorable!?) I got it from THIS store on etsy. I would love to sew aprons like this, myself, though. I need to figure out how to load my bobbin and I will be set to sew! ;) I also knit the birthday girl a dishcloth with her first initial on it...

I know what you may be thinking. How many two year olds would be thrilled at getting a hand-knit dishcloth for their birthday!? Here was my thinking, from my mama-heart. I figured the little one could put on her apron and *help* her mama in the kitchen...and she can use her very *own* dishcloth to help clean-up! ;) Children have a love for real things...not just toys...so I thought this would be fun. Plus, these things will be able to be used for years to come!
We celebrated at a small party with her family, this evening, and had a nice time. It's always enjoyable to laugh and be in fellowship with good friends!

**The Children**

After a seemingly long week of fevers and coughs, I am happy to report that everyone is feeling *much* better! Thank-you for all your well wishes and prayers! The boys are back to their ever-energetic selves, oh how they long for the mud to dry up outside and for the warmer spring air to arrive! Xavier is my outdoors boy. He loves being out there, no matter what the weather. Jaxson, however, only likes to be out when it is "nice". The picture, above, is of a couple chickens that Jax drew!

Schoolwork is carrying on...reading, writing and lots of learning!

Madelyn is feeling much better too! It seemed to take quite a while, though, to rid her of that pesky cough she had. It's mostly gone now, though, thankfully. It was quite treacherous. Here she is, last week, looking out at the boys who were going out to "play in the snow" (but only stayed out a few minutes before they were too cold!). We continue to get snow...then it warms just a bit to melt most of it and create lots of mud. Just when we think the snow is gone until *next* winter, the temperature drops and we awake to another coating of the "white stuff".


**Baking**


I've done some more baking, this week. Nary a week goes by that I am not baking something. I am always making bread, to keep up with our use of it, but each week, I usually try to try something different, as well. This week, I made cuban bread! It's a recipe I found in my book, The Tightwad Gazette II. I think it is just delicious. It's a great bread to go with soup or salad.

I made four loaves of it this week!

Since Madelyn was feeling better, Friday evening she got to have a sleepover at Grammie and Pop-Pop's house. The boys and I decided it would be fun to make some sugar cookies! So...we did! Both X and Jaxson enjoyed cutting out shapes...VW bugs, bee skeps, leaves and chickens!

Because I prefer soft, rather than hard, cookies, I make mine a little thicker than it calls for in the recipe. Because of this, the chicken shape ended up looking more like a turkey! See one there, below, to the left? (It's okay though...they still tasted *great*!)

**A Treasure**

I haven't been out much, this winter. It has been months since I got to walk around one of my favorite stores in our little town. Sometimes, they have such great treasures in there! It's so much fun just to look around there! Well, Saturday, knowing I needed to get out of the house a bit, Chris told me he would keep the children with him and encouraged me to go out for a bit.

My first stop was my favorite little store! Imagine my pure excitement when I came upon this beautiful treadle sewing machine...

After calling Chris to ask his opinion before buying it, I was thrilled to be able to purchase and bring this gal home! It needles a needle and a belt...but it should still work! I have every intention of trying it, sometime! Isn't it so wonderful when you find such a thing, for a good price, and can bring it home with you!?

So, this has been my past few days, in a nutshell (a little of this, a little of that). I have also been in prayer for the people in Japan. What a tragic happening befell them in the earthquake and tsunami! I hope you will join me in prayer for these people...what a time of rebuilding they have ahead of them...as well as mourning those they lost.

Thank you for coming by! I hope you enjoy your days ahead...I think our area is looking at sun and temperatures in the high 40's the next few days, which sounds just glorious!

**And, you may have noticed, I have a new header. I do one for each year. I will use the last header I had, to put on the cover of the 2010 blog book I make, of all the posts from last year! This newest header will be the one for 2011! :)

Kindly,
Katy


He must increase, but I must decrease. ~John 3:30

21 comments:

  1. That sewing machine was a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother had one of those sewing machines. Such nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate,
    I have a sewing machine like the one in your photo. Although mine is not is as beautiful, the top has a few rings, I think it has character. It is setting in my kitchen. It still sews!(although I only used it twice) My husband's great aunt passed it on to me before she died telling me that no one in the family would cherish it as I would! She is absolutely right! I have my great grandmother's water pitcher and bowl setting on top of the closed machine. Yes, the pitcher has a small crack in back, but that too gives it character. I (as you) am a sentimental fool! :) Have a wonderful week, Katy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sewing machine Katy! I used one like it when I was young because my mother thought it was safer for me than an electric one. Also love the new header, it shows the life you share with us "in a nutshell".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, that apron is cute!! I love the dishtowel. I need to practice because I think a set of those as Christmas presents would be well received.

    My mother-in-law has a sewing machine like yours. It is beautiful. What a great find!

    I really like your new header. The picture in the middle is just screams peace.

    Enjoy your Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi katy,
    oh what a wonderful sewing machines.
    it's really a great find.and your bread looks very delicious.the apron for the little girl is soooooooo sweet.
    have a nice week,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat treasure! I have one almost identical, which a friend gave me. She felt great knowing it would be in such good hands, and I just love it! I am so glad you are all on the mend and feeling better!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy, you're new treadle machine is magnificent! I have been watching for one for over a year now. I have a very nice electronic one my husband bought me about 5 years ago. I love it for constructing clothing, mending etc, but I'd love a treadle to piece my quilts on. And treadles in their lovely cabintets are just so gorgeous, too! I'd love to have one as part of my decor in my dining room/sewing room! Both beaty and function...gotta love it! Be sure to let us know how your new household servant performs when you get her up and running! I'll be excited to hear how you like sewing on her. ~Kelly in MN

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love your blog. Your writing is beautiful and so is your spirit. Thanks for giving me something to look forward to everyday.
    Blessings,
    Lilygirl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate, I LOVE your new sewing machine!!!! What a super find. Even if you don't use it, having it used as a table is super sweet too!! BTW, love the new banner in color, it is eye-catching. Glad things are going so well for you and your family. Have a great day!!! Erica

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned to sew on a treadle sewing machine like that. Actually, it was fun! (oh my gosh, I am dating myself.) I know you could make those cute little aprons. That was a great idea to give the apron and her very own dish cloth to a young little girl.
    Good idea.

    I love to read of your happenings that go on at your wonderful home.

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  12. your new header is beautiful and so is the new bread! I', also trying a new recipe today...it's currently rising...lets hope it turns out!
    Funny story: As you know I have a large family...well I was kneding 8 cups of flour for the new bread recipe...my 6 year old walks in and asks "why are you kneading such a small dough???" HA HA...he is used to seeing me do 16+ cups:) To most families 8 cups is a lot:):)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Katy,

    glad everyone is feeling better! I love your new header!

    I have a sewing machine just like that that was my great grandmothers. Unfortuneately the condition is not as great, but the memories are there!

    That looks like some yummy bread to try out!

    Hope you are having a wonderful day!

    Blessings
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear all are better. Praise God. The apron & dish cloth are such a cute & thoughful gift. All little girls like to help mommy. Your sewing machine is beautiful. It looks wonderful in your home. You may be able to find an instruction pamplet on ebay if you would like one. I used the cinnamon roll recipe you posted. They were a hit. Thanks! I got some baby chicks. I rememberd your posts on your girls. I was wondering how long it will be before the lay eggs? Blessings! Lara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ijust dearly love those old sewing
    machines I have 2. They were both
    free 1 was from my grandma and 1
    was from my mil.
    1 is sitting in our basement
    storage room. Hoping to get it
    out 2 my daughter sil and grandbaby
    who live out west in Utah.


    Pamela
    Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katy,

    Any chance you are going to share the recipe for the cuban bread? It looks awesome! Your new machine rocks! A girl after my own heart.

    I read on facebook that you were weepy last night....Ugh...I cried the whole way to quilting in Sigel. I was feeling like my kids don't need me anymore. Sigh...glad I'm not the only one. :) Julie B

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sugar cookies--what memories come back filling my nose and taste buds. My grandmother could make the best. They were big and not too sweet. I wish I had her recipe. I have checked with all our family and no one has a recipe for those big, delicious cookies.
    Oh, well! I still have the memories any way.
    Love ya!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. The apron and dishcloth are so cute! I'm sure this little girl will absolutely love them! It is one of those gifts she will keep and cherish when she is older too!

    I also love your header and your sewing machine. I got my mothers sitting behind my couch and love it as a table.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  19. I recently found your blog and I am really enjoying reading it. I love the sewing machine -- I've been searching for one for years now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katy~
    That was so much fun catching up with your sweet little family.

    Hope you are having a great afternoon!
    Carrie~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goodness I thought that I had commented on this post a few days ago ~ I guess I didn't~getting old~LOL!
    Anyway, I totally loved the apron and dishcloth gift and had the same thinking on it as you did.
    I found my Tightwad Gazette and plan on making some Cuban bread very soon!
    Wishing you a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy