Monday, April 19, 2010

I have boys.....

...do you?

Seriously...they crack me up! Running around with Madelyn's headbands on their heads like Rambo (although they don't know who Rambo is!)...playing cars in dirt piles, trying stunts on bikes and scooters, singing at the top of their lungs while swinging on the swingset, swinging from tree branches, and even climbing in a rhodadendron bush and pretending it's their car.....

...does any of this sound familiar? ;)

Like the old saying goes....
*Mothers work from son up til son down!*

I will be the first to admit that mothering is not an easy job, there are times of tears (for me) while I question if I am a good mother or not. I am constantly seeking God's guidance through prayer and studying His Word.

I absolutely treasure the times that my boys (and Madelyn, as well) come running over saying, "Mama, I love you!" and plant a kiss on my cheek. They actually do this often...and I see it as a gift...from my Savior to me, a re-energizing and assurance that I may never be the *perfect* mother I desire to be....but that God knows my efforts to be the mother *He* wants me to be! :)

Here are some quotes that I have found encouraging as well as great reminders of what is really important as a parent!

Kids spell love T-I-M-E.
~John Crudele

Give me the life of the boy whose mother is nurse, seamstress, washerwoman, cook, teacher, angel, and saint, all in one, and whose father is guide, exemplar, and friend. No servants to come between. These are the boys who are born to the best fortune.
~Andrew Carnegie

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
~Diane Loomans,
from "If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"


You have a lifetime to work, but children are only young once.
~Polish Proverb

There comes a time when a woman needs to stop thinking about her looks and focus her energies on raising her children. This time comes at the moment of conception. A child needs a role model, not a supermodel.
~Astrid Alauda,
on the "hot mom" trend


If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. ~Abigail Van Buren

Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children.
~Charles R. Swindoll,
The Strong Family



If you are a mother of boys...you will definitely want to check out THIS post! Erin, from Home with The Boys, has started the Mothers Of Boys Society! :) She is a Christian mama of boys. In her post....she explains that "it’s all about raising our sons to be godly men, men of character, men who seek the Lord with all their heart." It's a great place for us moms to relate. Like Erin, I grew up with only a sister. When I had my sons, I had no idea what to expect! It is a fantastic journey....and a fun one to share with other mamas!

I have a full and busy day ahead. I look forward to it! I hope you have a wonderful day as well! :)

14 comments:

  1. Yes, I have boys too but mine are still young. I don't hear I love you yet but I do get hugs and kisses :) Thanks for sharing these quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son was my "little man." Oh how I adored him. Every little creature he brought into the house, all the dirt I had to wash from his mouth, all the boo boos that needed kissed. I wouldn't trade my baby for nothing. Of course he is now 22 but he is still my "little man."
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one boy who is all grown and married now. I also have three grandsons! Boys are a true blessing and they light my life daily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boy was my first-born so through him I learned what being a mother is all about. He's 11 now and I'm enjoying watching him grow into a Godly young man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boys are about grown now....its still an adventure....I wanted four and got two....God knew those two would fill up my plate fully as we adopted when we were almost 40.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had 3 boys and 2 girls. The boys gave me lots of challenges.
    I remember sitting at my sewing machine and Ben running to me laughing like crazy. He was about 2 and soaking wet. He had pounded a hole in the aquarium in the living room with a toy (wooden) hammer and the water was just gushing out. He was really a hard one to control. But he is 29 years old now and the nicest young husband and father you could want.
    Life with boys is fun and sometimes challenging. But worth it all. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your comment about your boys kissing you and saying "I love you". I'm thinking that is a phrase they hear often coming from the lips of there Mom and Dad as well. Kids learn and copy what they hear. Blessings.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I'm crying. Loved the quotes! Praying for more sons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I have two boys and I love it!! They are full of an energy that I wish I could borrow!! They are amazing creatures and yes mom's work from son up to son down and then some! Love your blog and all the encouragement you give to women.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coming from a mother of 4 girls, I am so grateful for Mother's of boys who raise them to be so good!! Thank you, thank you. They will be great men someday. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a young mother with one boy atm. I need all the help I can get. People I find give you all the (sometimes unwanted) advice you can get when they are babies. But then the information tends to dry up when they reach 2. Why is that? That's when I started to really needed it. If you women that have been before me could pass that information on (eg: controling mine & sometimes his temper is my main one, guiding him spitualy, getting him to listen & do things etc.) that would be fantastic. I know that I sometimes hate the mother that stares back at me in the mirror, and need lots of guidence myself. Keep up the great information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I raised 3 boy that are all grown men now. There was never a dull moment but I would not have traded it for anything : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Raising three sons (and a daughter) they teach me a lesson in patience and love everyday.

    Oh the adventures they have! Memories I will cherish thru the years.


    Been reading your blog and chatting with you for over 4 years now, IMO you are a WONDERFUL mother. You inspire me with your love, and patience. I have loved watching your kids grow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Raising three sons (and a daughter) they teach me a lesson in patience and love everyday.

    Oh the adventures they have! Memories I will cherish thru the years.


    Been reading your blog and chatting with you for over 4 years now, IMO you are a WONDERFUL mother. You inspire me with your love, and patience. I have loved watching your kids grow.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy