Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Children See....Children Do

This morning...as I was cozy in my chair, soaking up the Word in 1 Timothy, Jaxson came down. He saw me sitting and reading my Bible and immediately ran into the schoolroom and retrieved his Bible! He ran in to the living room and climbed on a chair. (My heart soared at this moment!) He opened up his book and asked me what story *I* was studying (he wanted to find the same one in his Bible so he could study it too!). With a smile on my face, I told him that the section I was studying wasn't in his picture Bible but that he could study any place he wanted to!

We all know how much our children watch us and quite often, mimic our behavior. Fortunately, this includes the *good* things as well as mistakes we make. I was so thrilled that I had my camera near by so I could remember this moment with a picture. I pray all of my children grow in the faith as they grow physically. :)

As adult believers...we all need to make sure we are talking the talk *and* walking the walk. For little eyes are watching us! Even those whose children are grown or don't have children....you still have children around you...whether they be grandchildren, nieces, nephews or children at church...they are using us to see how believers should act. Our words and instructions are important....but by seeing us *living* what we speak...it reinforces our words and beliefs! :)

In no way am I perfect. I struggle like you! But daily...I strive to be the mother and woman God made me to be. I believe as parents, we need to be cautious as to what we let our children see...in real life and on TV....this includes what *they* watch and what *we* watch. We need to be careful that we are living in a way that God would be pleased with, so that we raise our children to be of Godly character! I seek to encourage you and I appreciate any encouragement back!

May we raise Godly children, encourage those around us who are raising children, and live in a way that any child who sees us would see Christ in us!


And...I stepped into the schoolroom this morning and looked out the front window...and there in front of me was a beautiful Blue Jay! I ran to get my camera in the living room, praying it would stay at the feeder till I got the chance to take a picture! Sure enough, he stayed and I was able to snap a couple pictures before he flew off!

Madelyn informed me that Blue Jays are pretty aggressive. Not knowing much about them, I decided to look them up. I loved learning that they are typically monogamous birds who bond for life. Both the male and female make the nest and rear the children! Although, the mama bird broods (sits on and hatches) the eggs! While she does this...the papa bird will feed the mama! (Isn't that sweet?) The Blue Jay will also sound an alarm call when danger is near...warning other birds! It's also protective over its nest and will be aggressive if a human gets too close. They are intelligent birds and usually pretty territorial! :)

So now....if you were not familiar with Blue Jays before, you are now!!! :) They really are absolutely beautiful birds, aren't they?

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing it.
    I'm a firm believer in
    Proverbs 22:6....
    Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it."
    Sure a child may one day stray from what they have been taught but it truely never leaves them.
    As a parent I am not perfect either but if I don't teach my children about the Lord and lead them by my example, I will be held accountable one day for not being obedient.
    Hugs,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Katy!! Children learn by our example. -- I'm finding when they're grown and on their own that it's really hard to watch them make wrong choices... but I keep leaning on that verse that THEY WILL NOT DEPART FROM IT.

    We have Jays here too and although they are bossy lil things, I love watching them. -- and I really like the sounds they make. I didn't know they paired off like that and that the dad feeds the mom while she sets. Isn't that awesome? God thought of EVERYTHING.
    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious!! You are so right...our example whether we want it this way or not is so influential on their behavior ~ both the good and the bad. I have found that being a parent is very very convicting but so so rewarding. What a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Leading by example is so important!

    Blue jays are very aggressive. Growing up I watched one swoop down and peck the daylights out of our cat. I don't think he tried to sneek up on the blue jay nest again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! Isn't it the truth! My boys mimic everything I do! It's insane! But we are role models the moment we have these children!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog!! It's nice to get a little support from a fellow mama! My new post is better! It must be all the sunshine! I love your blog by the way. You and other women live Courtney from Women living Well are inspirational to me! Keep it up! Christian values need to be spread around like a cold! Hopefully it's contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree more. We must always be aware that others are watching us. God doesn't ask for perfection but that we try to do our best. Such a sweet photo of your son, you have a right to be very proud.

    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just loved reading about your reading experience, how lovely. Thanks for stopping by and participating in my give away. Looking forward to getting to know you better...and those Jay's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very nice post! Thanks for sharing. Leading by example...awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy