Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Menu Plan......Wednesday??

Yes, I know....alot of people participate in the Menu Plan Monday that is organized by the Org. Junkie (link on my sidebar). I, however, menu plan every 2 weeks starting on Wednesday. Chris has 2 jobs and gets paid for one of them every other Wednesday. So, I take $150 of that as cash from the bank and do our grocery shopping for 2 weeks. I menu plan 2 weeks ahead! It is really nice to do....it keeps you so much more organized plus...helps you save money when you go grocery shopping because you know just what you need. I write up my grocery list according to the menu plan!
First off, I want to show you a pic of my newly organized food cupboard. I was going to take a BEFORE pic...but the batteries for my camera were charging...so I couldn't....but here is the AFTER pic!
The white basket at the top holds different snack items that had big boxes....so i put them in there for better storage! Also...notice all the snack foods are up on the top shelf. That is on purpose....so my kids don't just take things without asking....LOL

Here is my new thing i just started. Normally I wrote all my daily menus in my daily planner.....at the bottom of each day. Well, I had this extra family calendar and decided to use it as my menu planner calendar instead! It works well. The columns are labeled at the top: MEAT, STARCH, VEGGIE, DESSERT, OTHER. I hung it inside the door of our food cupboard! That way when making my list up to go grocery shopping....I can look on the menu planner and see what i have in my cupboard all at the same time :) . It works nicely for us!!! I would love to hear what you all do to plan your meals!!! :)

9 comments:

  1. I love the planner idea, may have to steal that one from you LOL

    I plan my menus for two weeks as well, being military we get paid every two weeks so that's how it works out.

    I've been meal planning for 10 years or so, I just can't do it any other way. You're right, it really does help you save money when grocery shopping though I've noticed Arizona is a LOT more expensive than Idaho so I spend around $250 every two weeks which is a LOT more than I did back in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a meal planner. My plan begins on Sunday. I usually create my menu for the week sometime on Saturday. It is then posted on the refrigerator.

    I do the bulk of my shopping once a month. I will add a few additional things to stock the pantry over the month by using the sale fliers.

    It has especially helped when I an off day and prevents us from ordering in pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've got things together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that same calendar! My brother gave it to me for CHRISTmas.

    I love the idea of using the calendar to help in the meal planning like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i need to plan my meals! of course, its usually only for 1... bor-ing!

    love the calendar on the cupboard door idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL...thanks girls! Angie...I got mine for Christmas too! haha!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I menu plan also. I usually do it a week at a time, but there are times when money is tight that I will do two weeks at a time. I feel like menu planning makes my grocery store trips much more efficient. I have done once a month cooking off and on for several years and it is really wonderful, only the spending a whole day cooking is sometimes overwhelming.

    Hugs,
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowsa! Good Idea(menu in cabinet)!

    I don't plan my meals by day--I still need wiggle room (what do I FEEL like having?) I plan 14 or so meals & make them when I feel like it over the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I Meal Plan too :)

    I suggest shopping at Aldi's if you have one!

    My grocery bill averages between $38.00 to $47.00 per week for a family of 4!! The only thing about Aldi's is they don't bag your food, you have to bring your own.

    No big deal to me for those savings. I now have 3 plastic crates I take with me :)

    I love Aldi's, It cut my Wal-mart grocery shopping in half.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy